User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 303rls tires

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is also worth noting that of the failures most were on heavier rigs than the 303, not that it is any consolation.

Brian

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ksbowman View Post
    I changed mine over to Goodyear Endurance last summer after a blowout on my 2016 303rls. Country Campers gave very good advice. I always check all my tire and wheel bearings when stopping for fuel with an infrared gun and if there is any deviation on temperature other than being on the sunny side I look farther. I believe the Westlake are pretty good tires, but like the Goodyears better. The higher speed rating makes me feel they are a better tire and the peace of mind is worth every penny I paid for them.

Question on using the infrared gun. What temperature would be too high. I’m thinking of doing the same thing but not sure of a normal bearing temp and a high one? TIA
    Chip and Janice, Mize Mississippi
    Retired USN MCPO 1998, Retired USPS 2011
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7 LB DRW
    B&W Companion

2017 F250 King Ranch 6.7
    2019 303RLS, Pullrite Superglide

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZCM98 View Post
    Question on using the infrared gun. What temperature would be too high. I’m thinking of doing the same thing but not sure of a normal bearing temp and a high one? TIA
    You should be checking for variance between the different positions. For example, if one tire or bearing is running 20°F more than the others, it would indicate something may be going amiss and needs to be investigated. It's highly unlikely that all four tires or bearings would fail at the same time.

Jim

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    You should be checking for variance between the different positions. For example, if one tire or bearing is running 20°F more than the others, it would indicate something may be going amiss and needs to be investigated. It's highly unlikely that all four tires or bearings would fail at the same time.

Jim
    Thanks, I kind of thought the same but wanted to check myself.
    Chip and Janice, Mize Mississippi
    Retired USN MCPO 1998, Retired USPS 2011
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7 LB DRW
    B&W Companion

2017 F250 King Ranch 6.7
    2019 303RLS, Pullrite Superglide

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Not a fan! This tire was still fully inflated after throwing the cap and doing the damage. I wonder if etrailer will start handling the GY Endurance soon?

Jim
    Jim,

Its this kind of failure that leads me to believe the bond between the core and tread is lacking. When I began seeing this failure on the forum I lost all confidence in these tires. So I bailed after two seasons and 2K miles.
    Jim
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    It is also worth noting that of the failures most were on heavier rigs than the 303, not that it is any consolation.

Brian
    Brian,

This is another great point since most were E rated tires where many of us feel these should have been G rated on the heavier rigs. This could mostly be an application issue but I still moved away from the Westlakes even though I had D rated tires. GDRV needs to step up and start offering the GY Endurance tires like Jayco is now bragging up and doing.

Jim
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Brian,

This is another great point since most were E rated tires where many of us feel these should have been G rated on the heavier rigs. This could mostly be an application issue but I still moved away from the Westlakes even though I had D rated tires. GDRV needs to step up and start offering the GY Endurance tires like Jayco is now bragging up and doing.

Jim
    Jim

Totally agree. This is a hard subject to say what is the best course of action.

Brian

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've put over 22,000 miles on the original Westlakes on my 2015 303 without any issues. However, I will be replacing them next month, again with Westlakes.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still on the fence with my G rated Westlakes on the Solitude. They have about 3000 miles on them now(including the delivery from Indiana) and look great. Temps are always dead even among the 4 and are within 10 degrees of the truck tires when towing. I have not even had to ever add air to them, been at 110psi since delivery, check every tow. If they continue this way..knock wood... I will run them another year or two for sure.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZCM98 View Post
    I had no idea what temps "should be" when we stopped. I use and infrared gun and look for temp consistency between all four wheels/tires. I have noticed my curb side run about 2 or 3 degrees lower than my street side.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast