User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 303rls tires

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

303rls tires

Looking to purchase 2019 303rls. Want to become a snow bird. Will be traveling 3000 mile round trip per year to Florida. Wondering if these westlake tires will go the long haul or should I consider upgrading right from the beginning?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RayJ1130 View Post
    Looking to purchase 2019 303rls. Want to become a snow bird. Will be traveling 3000 mile round trip per year to Florida. Wondering if these westlake tires will go the long haul or should I consider upgrading right from the beginning?
    This will start another great debate.
    First welcome to the forum
    I have the west lakes on our trailer , this will be our second season , about 2000 miles last year. I can not make the decision for you but will say , some here keep them and use them. Watch the air pressure and check them for any wear at each stop, also keep an eye on temperatures. This should be done with all makes of tires.

Brian

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I changed mine over to Goodyear Endurance last summer after a blowout on my 2016 303rls. Country Campers gave very good advice. I always check all my tire and wheel bearings when stopping for fuel with an infrared gun and if there is any deviation on temperature other than being on the sunny side I look farther. I believe the Westlake are pretty good tires, but like the Goodyears better. The higher speed rating makes me feel they are a better tire and the peace of mind is worth every penny I paid for them.
    Last edited by ksbowman; 03-20-2019 at 07:15 AM.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Grand Design has previously reported that there is only a 1% failure rate (approximately) on the Westlake tires. Let's say half of those are road hazard related, and the other half manufacturing related. That means that there is only a 1 in 200 chance of a manufacturing related defect causing the tire to fail. BUT, you have four tires on your rig. So extrapolating the numbers, that means that about one out of every 50 owners will experience a Westlake failure. Quoting Dirty Harry, "Do you feel lucky?" .

BTW, I was one of the "50" lucky recipients of a Westlake failure. Approximately $2000 in damage to the 337RLS.

Jim

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Grand Design has previously reported that there is only a 1% failure rate (approximately) on the Westlake tires. Let's say half of those are road hazard related, and the other half manufacturing related. That means that there is only a 1 in 200 chance of a manufacturing related defect causing the tire to fail. BUT, you have four tires on your rig. So extrapolating the numbers, that means that about one out of every 50 owners will experience a Westlake failure. Quoting Dirty Harry, "Do you feel lucky?" .

BTW, I was one of the "50" lucky recipients of a Westlake failure. Approximately $2000 in damage to the 337RLS.

Jim
    It’s not the failure rate, but rather the types of failures that led me to change out to Good Year Endurance before we went any great distance. A flat I can deal with but would rather avoid the catastrophic tread separations that cause trailer damage. I believe the odds were tilted I’m my favor by making the change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I called etrailer who are listed in The 303 manual. They indicated the Westlakes are their top rated RV tires.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by larryl View Post
    I called etrailer who are listed in The 303 manual. They indicated the Westlakes are their top rated RV tires.
    Not a fan! This tire was still fully inflated after throwing the cap and doing the damage. I wonder if etrailer will start handling the GY Endurance soon?

Jim

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post

Jim
    Jim - I recall someone sharing similar math on the numbers in a post a few months ago. The math logic seemed to make sense.

Given that GDRV has 60K +/- RVs on the road this would translate into 1200 owners having failures. This seems like a high number. I would suspect that a number of these folks would be posting their loss of affection for Westlakes and it would be all over the web. This does not seem to be the case particularly in the last several months.

It also seems that (for at least GDRV anyway) since higher capacity rated tires are being installed the volume of failure issues being reported has diminished which makes sense. Possibly when summer hits and more folks are on the road and higher temperatures are in play, things will light up once again.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RayJ1130 View Post
    Not sure by what the long haul means but there have been many of us who have put 10s of thousands of miles and a few years on the Westlakes w/o any problems. Yes, there will be and have been issues but the alarm bells have not been going off on the web. Diligent monitoring of tires air pressure, avoiding tire damage by hitting curbs/potholes/road debris/excessive speed/etc. will serve you well.

Many here are watching the new GY Endurance tire released a couple years ago as I recall. Folks who have them are happy with them and no failures have been reported on this forum as I recall.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 6k miles on my Gee rated WL tires last year with no problems. Reading on this forum & elsewhere, most of the problems were on E rated, with few failures on the Gee rated. That being said, I'm changing mine out to Sailuns (have heard good reviews about them) when I do the annual bearing repack in a couple of weeks. I don't want to press my luck & be one of the few with a failure on Geez rated Westlakes..
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast