User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

90 Degree Turns w/F-150 Short Bed

I bought the Reflection 150 series 295RL based on the ability to be able to turn 90 degrees with my 2014 F150 short bed. The video on the Reflection web shows it being done. The dealer sold me a Reese Pro Series 15K hitch. He used the standard mounting kit. All is not well, I can not make the 90 degree turns. I was also told there isn't another longer Pin box that will work. Lippert also told me a can't use a slider hitch with the Turning point pin box. So I am stuck, there is no fix, perhaps if I had the longer 6.5 Ford box it would all work. But I already owned the truck and bought the Fifth Wheel, which I love, believing I could make it all work. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah the dreaded videos showing something can be done but they do not tell you all the specs. I think your only option is the longer bed truck, I know that is not the best option. I have only had a fifth wheel for a year and have not needed to turn 90 degrees, do you need to do this often? You can lock out the pivot pin and use a slide hitch or even an Anderson hitch.
    There is a popular group of folks here that have bought 2 or 3 trucks to get the right one, hope you do not have to join this group.

Brian

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pullrite makes a Superglide for the 5' 5" bed trucks. Not cheap, but can be used.

You should be able to use any slider hitch you want with the Turning Point hitch, you just need to lock it out with the bolts.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really know if I will need to turn 90 degrees. It would be good to know I could if necessary. Lippert told me to not use a slider hitch today. I assume they meant even with the pivot pin locked out. Thanks for the reply.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have looked at this, it is expensive, But Lippert told me the turning point pin box should not be used with any slide. I assume that also meant with the wedge out and not used.
    Thanks for the reply

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdude View Post
    I bought the Reflection 150 series 295RL based on the ability to be able to turn 90 degrees with my 2014 F150 short bed. The video on the Reflection web shows it being done. The dealer sold me a Reese Pro Series 15K hitch. He used the standard mounting kit. All is not well, I can not make the 90 degree turns. I was also told there isn't another longer Pin box that will work. Lippert also told me a can't use a slider hitch with the Turning point pin box. So I am stuck, there is no fix, perhaps if I had the longer 6.5 Ford box it would all work. But I already owned the truck and bought the Fifth Wheel, which I love, believing I could make it all work. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Hi bikerdude - The video that you are referring to clearly shows an F150 with a 5 1/2 ft box. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpwYplm6lOE This video was produced by Grand Design. I know this because the voice-over is by Bill Martin, who no longer works for GDRV, but did at the time this video was released.

There was considerable discussion when this video first came out, because the short box truck is not available with the HDPP . . . but that is a weight discussion, not a "geometry" discussion.

I think you should start your research with a call to Grand Design customer service along the lines of . . . why can't I do what it shows in your video

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our son in law has the same truck as you and a 150 series Reflection. He towed all last year without a sliding hitch. I'm not sure if he can turn at 90 degrees but he can make tight enough turns to get into any campsites I've seen. Personally I would never do a 90 degree turn because it stresses the tires and suspension too much for my liking.

Bob
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2022 Ford F350 SRW CC 4X4 Lariat 6.7 camper package, B&W Companion RVK3300

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reviewed the video and I don't see where he actually made a 90 degree turn. I think it's close but not quite. It looks like when he did the U turn the 5th wheel would almost contact the truck. It definitely turns much tighter than I would ever want to do.

Bob
    Last edited by grampscamper; 03-18-2019 at 03:53 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grampscamper View Post
    because it stresses the tires and suspension too much Bob
    Indeed.....had to make a 90 to get ours into this campsite

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FARIA BEACH - 2 03102019.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	18453

DW was freakin out when she was watching the front and rear wheels bending/leaning over as I moved the trailer into position.....it WAS scary looking I must admit.

Cal
    Cal, Marsha and Bear the Labradoodle
    2019 F350 Platinum DRW, 6.7 PSD, 4:10, Firestone Airbags
    Pullrite Superlite
    2019 Momentum 376th
    Aprilia RST1000
    Evelo Aurora E-bikes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bikerdude, I would just try it. I don't see any reason it wouldn't work for you. Just be mindful not to do 90 degree turns.

Bob

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast