User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will look into this. Thanks. My Reese Pro Series 15K looks like it was installed fairly forward, but in looking at the supplied hardware, it could not be mounted back any further. Wish Grand Design would tell me what hitch they used in their testing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdude View Post
    I will look into this. Thanks. My Reese Pro Series 15K looks like it was installed fairly forward, but in looking at the supplied hardware, it could not be mounted back any further. Wish Grand Design would tell me what hitch they used in their testing.
    Do the uprights have an offset? If so you could remove the head assembly, rotate the base so the offset is to the rear and reinstall the head.

If you only need to gain a couple of inches you could replace the uprights with something like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HT31318-31325ADJ_2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	11.0 KB 
ID:	18476

A less expensive option than changing the hitch. This will give you some adjustment front to rear. Should be able to get a set of uprights for less than $100.00.

Bob
    Last edited by grampscamper; 03-19-2019 at 03:41 PM.
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2022 Ford F350 SRW CC 4X4 Lariat 6.7 camper package, B&W Companion RVK3300

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Note to OP and forum--moved this thread from "New Member Introductions" to "Hitches and Fifth Wheels" section.

-Howard
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just took some measurements of the hitch rails. Front rail center is 13”, rear 35” from the inside front of bed. Unfortunately the hitch wasn’t installed. Assuming the pin is centered between the rails this would place the pin 24” from the front of the bed. If the Turning Point pivots 22” to the rear this would mean there is 46” from the front of the box. You could add approximately another inch to the cab. This would mean there is 47” to the cab if the pin is centered between the rails.
    I believe this configuration would be almost identical to the setup in the video. You wouldn’t be able to do a 90 degree turn but it would be very close. If the hitch had a rear offset I believe you could make a turn at 90 degrees.
    The truck is a 2014 Ford F-150 with a 5.5’ box.

Hope this helps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	39CB23E2-F36D-43A3-B376-3973EF6D2584.jpeg 
Views:	5 
Size:	140.3 KB 
ID:	18537

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bob @grampscamper . . . good information!

Tomorrow, I will take similar measurements of my 2014 F150 with 6.5' box and slider hitch, for comparison.
    I know that I can make a 90 degree turn with hitch in the aft position (not that I would choose to do this . . . but, if I had too).

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rob, I wonder if the OP could take some measurements to use as a comparison.

I look forward to hearing from you tomorrow.

Bob

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdude View Post
    I have tried both the Lippert Turning point wedge and the Reese wedge. Neither will allow the greater turning radius. THanks for the suggestion though.
    I don't see how a wedge would make any change. All they do is stop the trailer from pivoting at the pin, and move that back to the framing point.

The pivot point will always be the same, no matter how you stop it from turning at the pin.

I agree with other comments, you will never need 90 degrees. If you would have to hook or unhook in that situation, it would never happen.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    I don't see how a wedge would make any change. All they do is stop the trailer from pivoting at the pin, and move that back to the framing point.

The pivot point will always be the same, no matter how you stop it from turning at the pin.

I agree with other comments, you will never need 90 degrees. If you would have to hook or unhook in that situation, it would never happen.
    I agree. The only difference in the wedges would be the fit against the 5th wheel head. When I talked to Reese about mine, theirs is a custom fit for my Titan R20 Hitch to prevent noise (wedge slop) and to distribute the stress equally over the hitch head.

Hope this helps.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grampscamper View Post
    I just took some measurements of the hitch rails. Front rail center is 13”, rear 35” from the inside front of bed. Unfortunately the hitch wasn’t installed. Assuming the pin is centered between the rails this would place the pin 24” from the front of the bed. If the Turning Point pivots 22” to the rear this would mean there is 46” from the front of the box. You could add approximately another inch to the cab. This would mean there is 47” to the cab if the pin is centered between the rails.
    I believe this configuration would be almost identical to the setup in the video. You wouldn’t be able to do a 90 degree turn but it would be very close. If the hitch had a rear offset I believe you could make a turn at 90 degrees.
    The truck is a 2014 Ford F-150 with a 5.5’ box.

Hope this helps.
    My 2014 F150 with 6.5 ft box . . .

Front rail is 27.5" from front of box
    Pin in towing position is 38" from front of box.
    Pin in maneuver position is 48.5" from front of box. This is about 50" from cab rear window . . . meaning that I could make a 90* turn with a 96" wide trailer . . . if I really had to . . . on level ground!

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob, it looks like there is approximately 2 or 3 inches difference between your setup in the maneuver position and my measurements if Turning Point is allowed to pivot.
    If the hitch had a couple of inches of rear offset I believe a 90 degree turn would be possible.

Interesting findings.

Bob

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast