User Tag List

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tips for Obtaining Nevada “J” Endorsement on Class C License

If I end up with a Momentum here soon, I’ll need a new endorsement for the heavy rig. Any of you Nevadans that have taken the written and driving tests for this “J” endorsement, do you have any tips or advise before I take these tests? I see there is a handbook online for the written tests.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It can be “challenging” dealing with dmv on this. There seems to be a lot of confusion on what class license and what endorsement is needed. Here’s a couple points to remember.

1. If your GVWR of truck and trailer are over 26,000 lbs you will need a non commercial class A. If they are below 26,000 a class c with j endorsement will work.
    2. DMV will check (using your owners manual) that your truck is rated to tow trailers GVWR. They will turn you away if it is to heavy.
    3. The written is fairly easy (been awhile since I took it). Just study the sections. Have to get I believe 16 out of 20 correct
    4. Plan for and practice your vehicle checkout. Nothing hard to do but easy to miss something. Get a system or routine down so you don’t forget. I believe the study guide lists all that you need to check.
    5. Parking lot test. I believe is drive straight down a row of cones and stop close to end. Back up through that same set of cones. Be aware of the front end of your vehicle and how close it is to objects. Center yourself moving forward so you are ready to back up. Slow and steady. I have heard but can’t confirm that you can stop/pull forward/reposition and continue but that you will lose points for every forward correction so you might want to limit those (may have changed since I took mine). Ally dock. May be challenging depending on size of rig. Again been a few years something may have changed.
    6. Road test. Fairly straight forward. Watch your speed. Not to slow and obviously not over speed limit. Watch for crosswalks/pedestrians. Both hands on the wheel at all times. Constantly check mirrors. Appropriate following distance etc. It probably wouldn’t hurt to skim through drivers handbook as we all tend to get a little lazy on the rules of the road.
    7. Unless something has changed several things can hold you up from completing the test. There is a time limit to get it all done. I BELIEVE it is around 2 1/2 hours. I think they do this for scheduling reasons and so you don’t spend 4 hours on a checkout. Plenty of time to get everything done as long as you have a plan (especially during vehicle checkout). You also have to have a set number of points leftover after the vehicle inspection/back lot driving before heading on the road test. If you don’t have enough points leftover you will have to come back and take just the driving portion.

Hopefully this helps. Again it has been a number of years since I took the test so take the above information with that in mind. Good luck
    Last edited by Justa5th; 03-23-2019 at 09:52 AM.
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Justa5th, thank you very much! That’s exactly what was hoping for. Thanks again for taking the time to do the thorough response.
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
    Justa5th, thank you very much! That’s exactly what was hoping for. Thanks again for taking the time to do the thorough response.
    Your welcome. Hopefully it helps. If you can think of anything specific let me know. Again it’s been awhile since I took it but doubt anything has changed. Let us know how it goes!
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justa5th View Post
    Your welcome. Hopefully it helps. If you can think of anything specific let me know. Again it’s been awhile since I took it but doubt anything has changed. Let us know how it goes!
    It could be a while. I’m not sure the Momentum is in the cards right now. On top of th normal increase in payments we would incur, it looks like reg in Nevada would be $1,300!! Couldn’t believe it. If I wasn’t happy with my current set up knowing all systems work as should (knock on wood), I would probably have bit the bullet. We had a good deal for us on the Momentum and our trade in though. We’ll consider it again in between trips.
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS