User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
    I'm new to RVing and picking up a GD 303RLS next week. I have been reading and searching this site for a couple of years and have learned a lot. I was at the dealer today and had lot's of questions. One thing were were talking about was water hoses for city water and for the black tank flush. I have seen on here where 2 different hose are recommended to prevent contamination of the city water hose. The dealer said this was not necessary as the black tank connection had a built in backflow preventer and I could just move the city water hose to the black tank flush. Is this correct. If not do I use 2 hoses with a Y connector with shutoffs at the campground spigot. What's the best way to set this up? Thanks!
    Tell me you did not write this post just to make my head explode!
    Here are the facts (let's stay clear of opinions):
    You do not need two hoses.
    There is not a back-flow device in the black tank nozzle supply piping. There is a vacuum breaker up behind the shower. That's not the same as a back-flow device.
    Never, ever, permanently connect a water line to the black tank and leave it hooked up. Got it?
    Hook up to the black tank nozzle and run it for as long as you see fit to rinse the black tank. Then disconnect the water hose. When you do that, water will empty out of the black tank nozzle piping on to the ground. This is normal and expected.
    Keeping a hose hooked up all the time keeps that pipe full of water. It never drains. Now, think about the bacteria in the black tank and their ability to swim. If the piping is full they are going to swim. If the pipe is empty then they don't swim far.
    What I have done is put short hoses with male quick connect fittings on both my potable water supply and the black tank nozzle supply and a female quick connect fitting on my supply hose.
    This way it is simple to disconnect and reconnect as needed.
    I worked as a Manufacturing Engineer in the food industry before I retired. A very large part of what I did was sanitary piping specifications and design. I've worked with some of the best Sanitation Engineers and Mechanical Piping Engineers in the world. Trust me on this, do NOT listen to anyone that says hooking up a potable water supply to a pipe that goes to a septic tank any differently than what I have described and says it's a good idea.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Peggy and Jamey Matheny
    2016 Grand Design Solitude 5th Wheel 369RL Serial #G1104808
    As of 19 April 2019, 792 nights and 23,887 trailer miles.
    2015 Ford F-250 4X4 Super Cab SRW 148" WB 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JColeman View Post
    With no offense to anyone and great deference to others who have done this longer...

Why would anyone not spend an extra few bucks for a separate black water hose just for the peace of mind? Worse comes to worst, it's a backup for your primary.
    Hi Jeff,

Because the "peace of mind" in having separate hoses is a false security. Two hoses connected at the same time is the "red flag". With a single hose, you can never make the mistake of having hoses connected to the potable water and the black tank flush at the same time. It is disturbing how often you see this in any campground .

If you choose to (or have to) use the water connection at a dump station, having a dedicated hose for this as suggested by @camper1013 does make a lot of sense.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Jeff,

Because the "peace of mind" in having separate hoses is a false security. Two hoses connected at the same time is the "red flag". With a single hose, you can never make the mistake of having hoses connected to the potable water and the black tank flush at the same time. It is disturbing how often you see this in any campground .

If you choose to (or have to) use the water connection at a dump station, having a dedicated hose for this as suggested by @camper1013 does make a lot of sense.

Rob
    Hi Rob,

Thanks, yes. I completely understand the problem with a T water connection. I guess I don't resent the extra work of using a second hose to flush black tanks and a little sanitizer before hooking the fresh water back up. And since I know many don't sanitize, I also do a little bit of sanitizer before hooking up fresh water the first time as well.

OTOH, if I drop our steaks in the fire, I have no problem brushing them off (no sanitizer) and eating them.
    Last edited by JColeman; 03-21-2019 at 03:15 PM.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing not mentioned, don't leave your black hose hooked up. Unhook when you are done. That leaves no chance of it overfilling.
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since we're on the subject of black tank flushing I thought I'd mention a new "expandable" hose I started using this winter for the black tank. I was a little skeptical of this expanding thing but it's actually pretty cool. It shrinks to 1/3 it's length when unpressurized and has a shut off valve at the end. The shut off valve is very handy because I can turn the water on and off while flushing the black tanks without walking back and forth to the water pedestal.

Here is the hose I got:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can't speak to their longevity because I've only used it a couple months but I'm happy with it so far.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by camper1013 View Post
    I have a second hose for the flush. I'm not so much worried about the black tank backing up as the contamination from the dump station area. When your at the dump station watch what others do with the hose once. You'll never want your fresh hose anywhere near it. Not to mention if you accidentally drop the end of the hose in the danger zone around there.

I am in the two hose camp. Many times I have found the water supplied at the dump stations is clearly posted as "Non-potable". I do not want to run any non-potable water through my drinking water hose.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12