User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drum brake adjustment?

Question from a non-mechanic. I intend to try to adjust my drum brakes. Haven't done this for over 40 years. Do you adjust the wheel down or up to tighten the brakes?

Don
    Linda & Don & Patches (the wicked step-dog)
    Morton
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2018 Ram Crew Cab 6.4L HEMI, SRW 2wd
    Anderson Ultimate hitch

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don, If you have non-self adjusting drum brakes, when you stick the brake adjuster spoon in the back side of the brake plate, rotate the adjusting star wheel teeth upward to expand the brake shoes. This means you would pull down on the brake spoon.

If you have self adjusting drum brakes a few stops should adjust the brake shoes automatically. You will know if you have self adjusting brakes by looking in the adjuster hole, and if you can not see the adjuster star wheel clearly because there is a small foot pawl interlocking with the adjuster teeth, then you have self adjusting brakes. I believe GDRV started using self adjusting brakes on 2018 manufactured units, but don't quote me on that.

Now if the adjusters were backed off (loosened) to get the hubs off, like to replace the brake shoes or grease the bearings, just expand the adjuster star wheel until you can just get the brake drum back on. Then tighten the hub spindle nut correctly, this is important.
    Then if you need a little more adjustment on the shoes, rotate the star wheel adjuster until the brake shoes just start to drag on the drums and they slow the tire from spinning freely.

Don, as a refresher course there are several U-Tube videos on replacing or adjusting trailer brakes.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 03-22-2019 at 01:10 PM. Reason: added content
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Steven, you made it very clear. I can tackle this job with confidence......Don
    Linda & Don & Patches (the wicked step-dog)
    Morton
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2018 Ram Crew Cab 6.4L HEMI, SRW 2wd
    Anderson Ultimate hitch

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you ever need to adjust your self adjusting brakes, that small pawl that Steve mentions can get in the way. There are typically two adjustment holes on these backing plates. The way I approach it is to remove both of the plugs on the backing plate. Then I stick a small screw driver in one hole to hold the pawl out of the way while using my brake adjusting tool in the other hole to manipulate the adjusting wheel. It works pretty good for me.

Jim

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I customized a flat point screwdriver many years ago with a slight curve and it works better than any brake spoon, much better. I still have it more than 40 years later. You can really feel the star wheel with it and you can crank it firmly and quickly where the brake spoon feels too big and clumsy and hard to tell when you are in the star.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
    I customized a flat point screwdriver many years ago with a slight curve and it works better than any brake spoon, much better. I still have it more than 40 years later. You can really feel the star wheel with it and you can crank it firmly and quickly where the brake spoon feels too big and clumsy and hard to tell when you are in the star.
    bigb56 - Good input!
    For a similar reason, I ground the tip of my brake spoon to a sharper edge so that it would grab the notches of the star wheel better. As made, the end of the spoon was too blunt to feel/engage the star wheel.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that I may still have one in the bottom of my toolbox from when I worked on my very first car, a '65 Ford. Back in the day when you could do everything yourself. Those were the "Good old days" .
    Last edited by Richter; 03-24-2019 at 07:50 PM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a really permanent adjustment . . . "adjust" the brake on the right (in the picture) to be like the brake on the left

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1804.jpg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS