User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting through Atlanta Georgia

I will be staying at high falls State Park in Jackson Georgia,then moving on to Vogel State Park which is up in North Georgia. I'll be going through Atlanta Georgia on a Saturday is it better to go straight through on 75 or use one of the bypass.
    Pat and Bill with Kaycee the Shar-Pei Hound and Abby the Shar-Pei Beagle in our hearts.
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 150 295RL
    2023 Ford F250 Crew Cab 7.3 Godzilla 3.73 locking axle
    Andersen Hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion I would go straight through on Saturday.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. Straight through on Saturday. Be patient, watch your traffic signs.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We go straight through skipping the bypass on weekends going both north and south. But one thing to watch for is sporting events taking place. We got stuck in football traffic one time, since then we pay closer attention to who is playing and potential for traffic jams during the time we are going through.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the consensus here . . . go right up the middle on I75 . . . but if at all possible do this early on a Sunday morning. After several years of really bad experiences in Atlanta, we build our whole "going south" or "going north" travel plan around hitting Atlanta early on a Sunday morning.

Last year, I got to change a trailer tire on the side of the road in a construction zone in Atlanta. Yikes!! Luckily it was a curb side tire and I was able to get tucked partially in behind a guard rail. I kept expecting a police vehicle to show up and give me some "protection". Never happened. The scariest part was crawling under the trailer to retrieve the spare with 18 wheelers blasting past a few feet away at highway speed.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would consult both Google Maps and WAZE on my smartphone upon approaching the decision point of whether to drive through or around. In other words, when you leave Jackson and again about 5 to 10 miles before the decision to take I-285 around (to the west or east) or go straight through. One never knows if there is a traffic tie-ip along a route decided on without consulting available and reliable resources.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Through-traffic semis are supposed to take the bypass, so if you stay on I-75 you'll have fewer semis and more passenger cars/trucks around while you're inside the 285 loop.
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'am coming in a little late but Atlanta is nightmare. Cate&Rob nailed it when they said to go through early Sunday morning if possible, we have found this the best time to go through Atlanta or very very early Saturday morning. We always go straight through if possible on I 85 and avoid bypass unless we are headed to gulf, then I 285 west. We also stay in High Falls State Park or High Point State Park in AL one night in order to get early start on going through Atlanta. We don't unhook camper when we get there and try to leave as soon as it gets light enough to see; High Falls park has some narrow roads and drop offs and you need to see where you are going.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enjoy Vogel and watch out for bears. Once had small hybrid camper and had to leave cooler outside with water and one unopened jug of apple juice. Bear opened cooler and got apple juice. our little dog warned us and as I opened camper door saw bear running away with apple juice; it was as tall as headlights on a Ford 250.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks to everyone who responded to my post it looks like we will be gone straight through on I75 .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast