User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if you don't use the toilet, when the stinky slinky is hooked to the sewer drain the gases will back gas from your barn system back up the slinky into the holding tanks which will then back gas out your roof top vent. You could simply drop a flexible hose from the barn roof to sit with a weighted donut over your roof top vent. I think you are on to something big here Hwktlg8
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...editprofilepic
    2019 Grand Design 303RLS
    2016 RAM 3500 SRW 6.7 I6 Cummins Diesel
    Tottenham, ON Canada

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hwktlg8 View Post
    I like that idea...any chance you might be able to send a pic?
    Ryan, Thanks for asking. I was scratching my head last week as I found a bungee cord behind the barn. Never occurred to me to walk around the corner and look at the fan. Couple weeks ago, we had a howling, pounding windstorm. Guess the outer foam square is two towns over. This way you can see the louvres.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A530D0A7-F6CB-48BE-A1A8-26EFC3A5493F.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	677.4 KB 
ID:	18635

Inside, we attached foam permanently around the edges, and use bungees for the cover.

Name:	F57882AA-899F-4FFD-B433-CC4A30BEA04A.jpeg 
Views:	28 
Size:	794.9 KB 
ID:	18636

Closer look

Name:	FF5A895D-3D35-4CDE-8405-53928674E14B.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	672.0 KB 
ID:	18637

Came with a thermostat

Name:	EB254D27-E9F5-4098-BA50-7BD856970791.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	627.8 KB 
ID:	18638

Now for the rest of the story...we have a wood stove in the 30x56 barn. We couldn’t get the temp above 50 when the weather was in the 20s, no matter how much wood we fed it. Soooo, we hired an excellent local carpenter to insulate and skin the inside. Turned out he did better metal finishing than the original crew. Anyway, after the insulation, the barn stays very cool, no matter how hot it gets outside, so we don’t use the fan much. I don’t regret it though, as it’s there for exhaust if we need it.

What I do regret is that Bruce didn’t get his “TT, let’s go camping and fishing” bug unti AFTER we built the barn; otherwise, we’d have built bigger to store the trailer in our OWN darn building!

Also, if you’ve got the time and energy, Rustoleum epoxy garage floor paint is a great product. Makes sweeping and cleanup a breeze!
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nancy- thank you very much. That really helps! Great ideas. We do plan on insulating the entire barn, and metal on inside of roof to hold it in..not planning on currently metal on interior walls to save a little $$
    Ryan and Alison
    2017 Solitude 377MBS-R
    Titan electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    Morryde CRE 3000, xmembers x3, WBs,4k springs
    2017 GMC 3500 Duramax Denali SRW Airlift bags with wireless control
    Pullrite 2900 autoslide hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome looking barn and love all the planning that has gone into this project. We are close to retiring and we just said the other day that we should live in our trailer, but the winter was the issue. Great idea!

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're really building a great structure. Go for it. As you get it built and living inside the structure, your approach to the heating systems, etc. will come to fruition. It's a work in progress.

Cannot blame you to get your rig out of the terrible winter weather you experience in Iowa.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ryan & Alison - I recall last year (I think) you sharing the plans on your awesome building. Nice to see construction happening. Can't wait to see ongoing pictures and feedback and the final product.

Our daughter works in healthcare in Des Moines and our son-in-law in insurance.....both Husker grads living in Hawk and Cyclone country. It's been a tough several years for Crimson and Cream but I think the border war will get better over the next decade.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Dan- yes we had the plans finalized late November and were suppose to start in December but then winter set in with more snow than we have seen in 30-40 yrs, terrible cold / bomb cyclones ect. I am thankful we dont have the horrendous flooding that they have right now in western Iowa/ Nebraska.Yes alot of hawkeyes and that other red team from Ames but I know several folks and friends who “go big red” as well. Love the rivalry makes for a fun fall and winter between Ia/Nebraska schools.
    Ryan and Alison
    2017 Solitude 377MBS-R

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing: Keep us posted on the progress. I have always debated on building a large garage or barn to store our Momentum 350m.
    R. H. & Jessica, Virginia http://blog.borderlinechaos.com/wp-c...dStatesMap.gif
    2017 Momentum 350m 5th Wheeler, B&W Companion 18k hitch
    2017 Ford F350 6.7L Powerstroke, SRW, 4x4, Long Bed

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Radiant heating in the floor of a garage works SO GOOD, I highly recommend it. You might want to consider it since it can not be installed after the floor has been poured.

For the interior walls, I find buildings with metal interior walls have a lot of echos, wood or even drywall is not as bad.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougW9876 View Post
    Radiant heating in the floor of a garage works SO GOOD, I highly recommend it. You might want to consider it since it can not be installed after the floor has been poured.

For the interior walls, I find buildings with metal interior walls have a lot of echos, wood or even drywall is not as bad.
    Thanks - we were offered 3 different heating options: forced air heating, radiant floor heating, and electric overhead radiant heating. I considered the radiant floor heating but would cost an extra 8-10k. When we are no longer living in the barn I like the idea of being able to turn the thermostat down to 45-50 and then crank it up warmer as needed. Hard to make these quick adjustments with radiant heat. I agree with the finished interior metal and sound. That is one of the reasons we opted to leave interior not metal and insulation batting exposed for now. If i did anything- altough a bit more $$ I will probably put up plywood sheating later on so shelves hooks ect could easily be attached.
    Ryan and Alison
    2017 Solitude 377MBS-R

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast