Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Ladder-mounted bike rack

I’m considering buying this bike rack specifically because it mounts to the ladder.

I’ve searched here and found others that said Swagman was a good product but none that I saw were using the ladder-mount versions.

Our bikes will (haven’t bought them yet) only weigh 25 lbs each.

I already use the trailer’s receiver for my generator rack and I obviously can’t use the truck’s receiver while towing.

I do not want to use a hitch-mounted bike rack on the front because it can alter the safety of passengers in a collision. (may hinder airbag deployment).

What is the general consensus on using this ladder-mounting method?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used one of those on the ladder of our motorhome for years traveling all over the country. Only had one bike on it...maybe 35 lbs. Never had a problem.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used one of those in the past & never had a problem also (only carried one bike on it). Buying new bikes over the years (& taking 3 with us) I went away from that mount & carry two mountain bikes on the truck roof with a Yakima brand, held down by the wheel. I put my road bike in the bedroom closet. I didn't like them being cinched down by the frame bouncing around on the back of the trailer. I use that mount for chairs now.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tried with 2 bikes and started pulling ladder loose from camper; one bike might be OK. There is a lot of bouncing force going down road so be careful what you attach to ladder. I care my dump tank on ladder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I almost bought a ladder rack but because my ladder was positioned so far to the right, the bikes would hang past the right corner of the rv by almost 12 inches. I feel that was not a good setup having the bikes hanging out in in the wind. If the ladder was not so close to the corner that would work much better.
    Mark
    Mark & Cindy, York, PA
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 230RL (White)
    Curt A16 Hitch, Turning Point Swivel Pin Box, set to Swivel, with Curt Wedge
    2019 Ford F250 STX 6.2L with 4.30 Gears, SB CC SRW 4x4, 18" Wheels, 3192 Payload, 15,000 Towing Capacity, Fifth Wheel Prep & Camper Package, Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera, Factory Ordered
    Prev TV: 2016 F150 3.5L Supercab with 6.5' bed, 2167 payload, LT Tires, and Air Lift 5000 air bags set to 15lbs

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckskin View Post
    Tried with 2 bikes and started pulling ladder loose from camper; one bike might be OK. There is a lot of bouncing force going down road so be careful what you attach to ladder. I care my dump tank on ladder.
    I think it depends on how well the ladder is mounted to the RV. My motorhome had reinforcements (plywood panels) embedded in the fiberglass where the ladder brackets where screwed to the coach. If Grand Design just screwed the ladder mounts thru thin fiberglass and has nothing behind for reinforcement, I would not want to use the ladder-mounted bike rack.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkRizRV View Post
    I almost bought a ladder rack but because my ladder was positioned so far to the right, the bikes would hang past the right corner of the rv by almost 12 inches. I feel that was not a good setup having the bikes hanging out in in the wind. If the ladder was not so close to the corner that would work much better.
    Mark
    In those cases, most folks just hang the bike/s vertically instead of horizontally. That is what I did when I had a motorhome.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KirbyRVA View Post
    In those cases, most folks just hang the bike/s vertically instead of horizontally. That is what I did when I had a motorhome.
    That was with hanging vertically, the problem is the ladder on the 230RL is too far right

Mark
    Mark & Cindy, York, PA
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 230RL (White)
    Curt A16 Hitch, Turning Point Swivel Pin Box, set to Swivel, with Curt Wedge
    2019 Ford F250 STX 6.2L with 4.30 Gears, SB CC SRW 4x4, 18" Wheels, 3192 Payload, 15,000 Towing Capacity, Fifth Wheel Prep & Camper Package, Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera, Factory Ordered
    Prev TV: 2016 F150 3.5L Supercab with 6.5' bed, 2167 payload, LT Tires, and Air Lift 5000 air bags set to 15lbs

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we have that bike rack (if not that brand, one that looks exactly the same). and initially carried two bikes on it. Found out that I could fit one bike in the garage with my dirt bike and street bike. Was not happy that I could not get into my garage (374TH) when the bike was mounted, so I started carrying the second bike in the back of my truck under the 5th wheel overhang. So, now I have a ladder mount bike rack that I need to get rid of!
    Gary

2017 Solitude 374TH-R
    2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually
    2010 Honda NT700V
    2014 Sherco