User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Norcold L1-oP error and moisture

I'm starting this thread separately from others I've posted regarding issues with our Norcold 1210 frig because it's a different issue and situation...

Whenever we're in Las Cruces, NM (my hometown where we've been for a few weeks now after my mother's funeral), we have the rig and vehicles washed and hand waxed by a local detailing service. These guys are great and on any given day you can find them doing at least three or four rigs in this park - and the prices can't be beat here. Anyway, Thursday was our day. As the guys were waxing and buffing, my wife noticed the frig beeping softly and the display showed the dreaded LP-o1 error. This signifies that the "recall unit" (really an overheating protection module) has shut the frig down due to a perceived overheating of the boiler. Most of the time, it's a failure of the sensor, or, more likely, the recall module rather than a true overheating situation. We've had a module failure before and, since Norcold won't let dealers and techs stock the module, it's a PITA to get the situation diagnosed and get a replacement module from Norcold... ask me how I know.

Anyway, I didn't think the error message was due to the washing and waxing going on as the guys we use here know not to hit the appliance hatches with the pressure sprayer and are very careful around them. I went outside and pulled the lower frig cover and was surprised to find that, when I blew on the circuit board of the recall module, a little moisture came back at me. OK - so some mist drifted in (or blew in since there was a 15 MPH breeze from that side of the rig) while the surrounding area was being washed. Blowing on the module with my mouth didn't rectify the situation, so I got out the compressor and blow-cleaning nozzle and gave the module a good.. well, I won't use the term that came to mind. Research during a previous failure revealed that sometimes the a false shutdown situation can be corrected by letting the burner cool down for a while and resetting the reed switch in the module with a strong magnet (a lot of old-timers/full-timers carry around a cow magnet for just this purpose). After drying the module out thoroughly, I used my cow magnet (yes, I now carry one, too) to reset the reed switch. When I turned the frig back on it fired up in both AC and LP modes and has worked perfectly since.

Here's another article I found this week with steps to diagnose this recall module. It seems that moisture is a common cause of false activations of the module. Perhaps this info can help someone else in the future:

https://www.arprv.com/troubleshoot-norcold-recall.php

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good info. Are there certain specifics about the cow magnet that we should look for when purchasing one? I'm sure it's not the one in the pic below

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Good info. Are there certain specifics about the cow magnet that we should look for when purchasing one? I'm sure it's not the one in the pic below

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Funny! I hadn't even thought of that. For those not from farm and ranch country, a cow magnet is a strong magnet that farmers and ranchers put into a cow's first stomach (I'm not sure how they get them there - I would have to ask my brother-in-law) to catch bits of barbed wire, bailing wire, and any other ferrous objects the cow might ingest while grazing or eating baled hay before the metal can pass down the GI tract and cause a perforation. Besides in cow's stomachs, the magnets can be found at Tractor Supply stores, co-ops, and feed stores. Any other good, strong magnet will work, as well.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are strong, about an inch in diameter, I use them as temporary hangers.
    Not sure if that's the right size to get next to the switch.
    STRONGMAN MAGNETS | 6 PACK OF POWERFUL 44LB NEODYMIUM HEAVY DUTY MAGNETIC HOOKS
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    These are strong, about an inch in diameter, I use them as temporary hangers.
    Not sure if that's the right size to get next to the switch.
    STRONGMAN MAGNETS | 6 PACK OF POWERFUL 44LB NEODYMIUM HEAVY DUTY MAGNETIC HOOKS
    Someone loaned me one of those the first time I had issues... wasn't strong enough. This is what I have, now:

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...agnets/2108603

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Someone loaned me one of those the first time I had issues... wasn't strong enough. This is what I have, now:

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...agnets/2108603

Rob
    OK, that looks strong enough
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been told that u can unscrew and use one of the magnets that hold the storage doors open if u don’t have a magnet handy
    John & Joanne
    2018 Solitude 374TH
    2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax CC DRW
    2001 Harley Ultra Classic

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks team. I also had the L1 Op code on my unit yesterday as I was travelling through the Seattle area. I called my dealer in Northern California for help and they directed me to the closet GD dealer which was in Mt. Vernon, WA. When I talked to the service manager he said it would be at least 2 weeks out before he could get to my problem. So much for the Grand Design Preferred Customer program. Not sure if I should say the name of the dealership because I'm new to the forum but I was not impressed with how I was treated. So without saying names stay away from the Grand Design dealership in Mt. Vernon. Anyway I got on the forum last night and found out how many of us have had the same problem with out refrigerators. Also found a quick and easy fix. BINGO it worked for me, so thanks to all of you who helped me along.

Now comes-Why hasn't GD addressed this issue with Norcol. Everyone points to Norcol but I bought a Grand Design. The company should address this issue with Norcol. Is Norcol the only frig company out there? Bottom line is- I hope GD figures something out or at least let us know about it.

Again thanks for the fix-it tip, especially to you Rob.

Gerry

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are there any photos of where one might use the magnet if faced with this situation? It doesnt sound all that complicated but knowing exactly where to place/use this magnet would be good to know.

Thanks

mike

Edit :. i see the diagrams in the link provided explaining the procedure.
    Last edited by ultramafic; 03-13-2020 at 12:37 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Poor cow!

-Steve
    Steve and Renee
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes, Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast