User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hwktlg8 View Post
    Thanks Tom- I will keep those fasteners in mind. I have the equivalent fastener but purchased at Menards. Probably cheaper weaker chinese quality. I too use the exact same 20v max dewalt impact driver (great tool) and the fastener drilling end just rounded off and didnt bite.
    I've used several different styles/sizes of Fastenal's self drilling screws (mostly when I restored a pontoon boat) and the only time the screw failed to drill its own hole was when tried to use one on (unbeknownst to me) some hardened steel. I'm sure you know you have to kinda be careful with that Dewalt since it'll shear off a fastener due to the torque it can generate.

Tom
    Tom & Donna
    Our RV: 2016 Reflection 337RLS 5th wheel
    Our Tow Beast: 2017 Ram 3500 Limited Dually
    Our Dogs: Sadie & Bugsey
    Favorite Drink: Moonshine
    Nationality: Redneck
    My Motto: May the bridges we burn light the way

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENESIS View Post
    I bought a bag of 50 of these (3/8") in SSTL and the appropriate SSTL fender washers from Fastenal: https://www.fastenal.com/product/fas...ation=Material

The first couple I drilled pilot holes and my shoulders were wearing out from laying on my back and having to drill upwards. On the 3rd one, I said screw it (no pun intended) and just put it in the bit driver that was chucked into my Dewalt 1/4" impact driver ( This thing is a beast https://www.dewalt.com/products/powe...r-bare/dcf887b ) and in no time, that fastener had no issue in drilling its own hole and just zipped on in. From then on I did the same and didn't have one fastener that didn't drill its own hole. Put in probably 15 new and used the new SSTL screws in place of the original ones.

Tom
    What size fastener did you use? Is 3/8 the diameter or length?

Thanks.
    Bill & Lisa
    2013 Ford F350 Platinum diesel
    2018 Reflection 303rls

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12