User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solar Battery Charging

Has any one installed a small solar panel to charge the battery? I purchased a small 1.5 watt solar panel and a 100 watt charge regulator from Harbor Freight. It was my intention to mount the solar panel somehow to our new recently installed lockable battery box on the sliding lid and mount the charge regulator to the outside on a vertical panel on the battery box. But worried about water getting into the regulator I am considering not mounting at all and just placing on the battery box lid when ever we park it in a camp site and wrap it up at night or when threatening clouds comes with rain.

When my husband installed the new battery box, he added a pigtail of wire with Anderson Power poles to plug into a charge controler with power coming from two Goal Zerro 30 watt solar panels. They would be setting on the ground and movable as shade from trees covered the panel.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	324CF5AD-7DBD-4D0C-8028-D8BC36F06DCC.jpeg 
Views:	8 
Size:	929.4 KB 
ID:	18649

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi there. There are many owner's who use small panels to trickle charge their units. If I were you, I'd keep the panel portable. That way you can move it throughout the day to track the sun. It needs to be in direct sunlight to get the full charging benefit.

But I'm a little confused. In the first paragraph, you say you have a 1.5 watt panel. Then in the second paragraph, you mention two 30 watt panels. Are these two different systems?

If you're concerned about moisture in the charge controller, is there enough room to mount the controller on the inside lid of the battery box? Maybe with some velcro strips?

Jim

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, these are two separate panels. My husband wants to use the 30w panels because of the close quarters in the battery box. Also he says you wouldn’t be able to see the charge regulator indicator lites when charging or fully charged. I suppose he is right on this one and we may just go ahead and go with the 30w panels. The box is 23” long and there are two batteries inside leaving only 1/2 inch on the one end.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Another option for mounting the controller is to use a weather proof project box with a clear cover. You could mount it to the outside of the battery box, then you could place the controller inside and still be able to see it. All you'd have to do is drill a couple of holes for the wiring and then seal them with silicone once the wires are run.

Here's an example from Amazon:

Project Box

Jim

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Solar Battery Charging

Couple things to consider...

Two 30 watt panels would yield very little power, only about 3 amps and that’s peak and only on a sunny day at the perfect angle.

If you mounted them facing straight up in that location, chances are they would be in the shadow of your trailer, or your LP tanks, as they are in your photo and would not produce any power.

A portable kit can be placed in a location where the panels won’t be shadowed and can be faced directly towards the sun.

There are several manufacturers that make some rather inexpensive portable kits with 100 watt panels, which would produce adequate power for your purposes.

If you use the search function you’ll find dozens of threads on this topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 03-24-2019 at 12:42 PM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 2-100W portable panels. On our Imagine I mounted the controller next to the hookup center and ran a 6ga ground line into the hookup center (the 12V side goes to the hot side of the disconnect switch.) Wires from the solar panels are fished up through the mouse hole for the water line & cable TV.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK