User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I followed your instruction and looks like the grill is seasoned and ready to use. Did the oil coating several times then the bacon. Cooked grilled cheese for lunch and Philly Steak sandwiches for dinner. Used a little water to clean it up and a light coat of oil. Thanks for the help.

Got ribs laid out for tomorrow but they are destined for the Traeger smoker.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwater View Post
    It’s all about seasoning & conditioning. You can season with grape seed oil, flax seed oil, veggie oil or coconut oil, you can season by cooking bacon or what I found to be the best cooking down a bunch of onions after the basic seasoning with flax seed oil. After that once it’s seasoned just keep cooking on it & it will get darker as it seasons.

When you’re done cooking & while it’s still warm just scrape it down (I use a stiff paint scraper) & if you want or if there’s a lot of food stuck on just squirt some water on it while it’s still hot, it will steam the food bits off while you wipe it down with a towel. Then when you’re done & it’s still warm put a light coat of oil on it, I use Pam/vegetable oil spray using a paper towel to wipe off the excess. The whole process takes less than 10 minutes to complete & will make sure it doesn’t rust. The key is keeping a light coating of oil on the cooking surface. My Blackstone sits outside on my deck year round with a cover on it while my Camp Chef sits in the carrying bag in the bed of my truck year round under a tonneau cover. Both are fine & rust free. Even if rust does develop due to water sitting on the surface it’s super easy to clean up back to cooking shape, worst case would be having to re-season.

The morale is if you leave a bare metal surface in the elements uncoated/protected it will rust, keeping oil on the surface will help prevent that from happening.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hhanson View Post
    Thanks for the info on the Blackstone. I've been cooking at home on my Camp Chef griddle on top of my gas grill (been rolling it to open garage door in the winter). Had bought a small Next Grill to put it on for the rv.. not perfect but was going to make it work. Wish I'd have come across the Blackstone. It is just what I needed.

Btw.. ran across, in the Amazon link/comments, someone asking why it cost so much more on Amazon vs Walmart. I checked it out. Just purchased the 22" 2 burner, with stand and cover, and adapter hose for $148 vs >$300 bought individually through Amazon. Thought I'd pass that on.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/blackston...hose/179647360
    I was told the same thing. Cheaper to buy at Walmart. Thanks for confirming that

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    I followed your instruction and looks like the grill is seasoned and ready to use. Did the oil coating several times then the bacon. Cooked grilled cheese for lunch and Philly Steak sandwiches for dinner. Used a little water to clean it up and a light coat of oil. Thanks for the help.

What campground are you at and what time is dinner?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post

Great, glad to hear that, enjoy! When you can, pick up some onions to cook down. Cover every square inch of the flat top & just cook them down until they are almost black. Toss them when you're done, the sugar's in the onion's will really season the grill. Or cook a bunch of steak & cheese with lot's of onion's & peppers, tastes way better than throwing food out!
    2019 Ford F-250 CCSB Lariat Ultimate 6.2L/3.73 gearing
    2015 Ford F-350 CCSB 6.7L - previous
    2018 Grand Design 290BH
    B&W Companion RVK3300

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JColeman View Post
    We have the 17" Blackstone. We like it but even though there are just two of us, if I could do it again I would get a two burner version instead. The ability to have two different heat zones really opens up your choices.
    I would second this ^^^^^. We are happy with the 17" but to do over again, the 22" with two burners would be the way to go.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the 22" with the stand and absolutely love it. We keep ours set up at home with a 20lb propane tank since we probably cook on it 3 or 4 times a week and then throw it in the truck when we go camping. It is amazing for both meats and vegetables. If you do cook vegetables you might want to get a round basting cover. If it is windy I find the basting cover very helpful to steam vegetables. It is super versatile and easy to clean up. We used to have a Coleman Roadtrip Grill but was a pain to clean and not as versatile. We originally bought a 17" and returned it before using it for the 22" as it didn't seem big enough. If you do buy one I highly recommend getting the 22".

As far as recipes, there are some amazing ones shown above. One of our favorite things to cook on it is broccoli. Just pour some olive oil on the griddle and broccoli. Spinkle broccoli with sea salt and garlic pepper and turn it every 3-5 minutes. Cook until tender enough for you. If it is windy, I will use the basting cover since it takes longer to cook. Super yummy!
    Damon and Colleen
    2019 Ford F350 CC SB 6.7 FX4 Platinum
    5th Wheel Prep Puck System
    B&W Companion Non-Slider
    BAKFlip MX4 Tonneau Cover

2019 Reflection 28BH
    Progessive EMS-HW50C

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We do much of our cooking on an inexpensive electric griddle and in an electric skillet. Otherwise, we cook on a gas grill. Seldom do we cook inside our fifth wheel. The microwave is used just to warm up things and cook popcorn. The electric griddle is easier to deal with than hauling around a larger LP griddle.

If we were boondocking, we would be using a large skillet on a double LP stove top that's mounted in our outside kitchen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I *did* purchase the 22" /w stand and integrated cover and couldn't be happier. Got the unit from Walmart:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/blackston...hose/179647360

I've been using it daily in my garage with door open ;-) Every time you use it.. another layer of "seasoning". I am not a cook or expert by any means.. but have been using carbon steel pans in the house for years after getting rid of our "non stick coated" pans. The trick to cast iron, carbon-steel, and of course this blackstone is to have it seasoned. Tons of good youtube vids out there on said topic.

One thing I can pass on that I've learned is I never introduce my pans to water. Yikes! When done cooking, there might be some stuck residue (less and less as more use). A 50c size amount of olive oil and a quarter size of salt in that.. while the pan is hot.. I use a folded up rag and place over the mixture and slowly abrade the surface of the pan. The gunk will "sand" right off with very little effort. Remove the salt with a 4" putty knife (hard to wipe out with the sidewalls). Spread an even light coat of oil, turn up the heat till smoke point, wiping oil back off. Sanitized, slippery and another micro coat of seasoning ready for next use.

When I first got it I put a light coat of flax seed oil on all sides. Very thin coats are best. I turned the pan upside down and put in grill at 450 deg for 30 min or so. Let cool naturally.. rinse and repeat. Did it 3 times. It turned nice and black. Doesn't rust.

This is going to be great when we are on the road! Thanks for the suggestion!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190408_102505.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	19329

Name:	IMG_20190408_102516.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	19331

Name:	IMG_20190408_190149.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	19330

Name:	IMG_20190408_194427.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	19332

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I’ve not seen mentioned is how nice tools designed for these grills are. The big, flat, thin, flexible spatulas and a scraper. One of my spatulas has slots in it to drain things and the other is solid. These let you assemble sandwiches easily and grab massive amounts of food off the surface. If you have them, you already know, but if you are new you might be making things hard on yourself getting by without them.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I’ve not seen mentioned is how nice tools designed for these grills are
    Thanks! Just bought them. Guess I don't need the putty knife.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast