User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

7 pin plug power?

I have a new 2019 Ford F350 and I'm trying to find out if I have a fuse blown. I was wondering if the + and - pins should have power when the truck is running. I believe these pins charge the trailer battery when towing. Mine have no power with the truck running.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have heard some on here that Ford did not have the fuse in place for this if it did not come with towing package. Yours being a '19 model should have , but would be worth a check. If you have no power this would be a good place to start. Turn lights on , if they do not work then there is some other problem.

Brian

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5er Searching View Post
    I have a new 2019 Ford F350 and I'm trying to find out if I have a fuse blown. I was wondering if the + and - pins should have power when the truck is running. I believe these pins charge the trailer battery when towing. Mine have no power with the truck running.
    Saw this for 2017 Super Duty - Ford Recalls, Repair & Diagnostic Tips
    Trailer Charging System Operation – 2017 Ford F-Super Duty
    oemdtc November 19, 2016 Diagnostic Tips

SSM 46257 – 2017 F-Super Duty – With Factory Trailer Brake Controller (TBC) – Trailer Charging System Operation – Service Tip

All 2017 F-Super Duty vehicles equipped with a factory trailer brake controller (TBC) utilize a trailer module (TRM) which initiates the trailer charging system.

For trailer charging to operate, the TRM must detect a trailer is connected and a brake pedal input before charging will be present at the trailer connector.

Adding the trailer battery charge relay and fuse into the battery junction box are not required to operate trailer charging with a TRM.

If testing of the trailer charging system is required without a trailer, refer to the updated diagnostics and system operation found in the online Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 417-01 Exterior Lighting.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
    2017 TRUCK: FE P558 SUPER DUTY – NA
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the responses I found my answer on the FTE forum. Evidently there is no power in those pins with the truck running if the door is open. I closed the door and there is power. Who would think the door being open would matter. Thanks again.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I do not mean to be , whatever the word I am looking for , but that is one of the strangest (or dumbest) things I have ever heard. But I will check my Chevrolet and see if it does the same thing.
    And I am going to use Rob's favorite yellow head sign maybe this calls for 2

Brian

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    see attached

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	YSFzFXpl.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	18704
    2019 GMC 2500 HD Denali
    2021 Reflection 337RLS / EMS HW50C
    Reece 20K Goosebox
    Solid Step

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty sure the door being open is irrelevant, as gbkims linked the new Fords must be plugged into the trailer and the brakes applied before the charge wire goes hot. This way there is no relay to remember to install and also for the non 7-pin plug users, you have no hot charge wire back there to corrode when you back your boat down a ramp and the plug gets wet ( using 4 way plug), ask me how I know
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an auxiliary fuel tank with pump that I used on my 2016 F250 that I wired a 7 pin plug on to plug into the f'er bed plug it would work with just the key turned on. On the 2019 it would only work with the motor running and it did the first time. Well evidently I had the door closed first time I tried it, Second time I tried it wouldn't work I thought I blew a fuse. Well it ended up that when the door is open the +- pins have no power. I tried a 12 volt test light on the +- pins door open- no power, door closed power. Must be some safety reason.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5er Searching View Post
    I have an auxiliary fuel tank with pump that I used on my 2016 F250 that I wired a 7 pin plug on to plug into the f'er bed plug it would work with just the key turned on. On the 2019 it would only work with the motor running and it did the first time. Well evidently I had the door closed first time I tried it, Second time I tried it wouldn't work I thought I blew a fuse. Well it ended up that when the door is open the +- pins have no power. I tried a 12 volt test light on the +- pins door open- no power, door closed power. Must be some safety reason.
    Now my curiosity is really up, I will bust out the test light this week and check mine and report back. I do like the fact that we don't have to install the relay under the hood anymore though. Hopefully I don't forget to put it in park when I leave the door open to check lol
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may also be that the brake triggers it along with having the door shut. But I'm not sure since you have to touch the brake to activate the push button start any way.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast