User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2019 297RSTS-Axle Comment/Question

Was going through my new Vehicle Weight Information Sheet provided by Grand Design when I picked up my new trailer. Noticed that the sheet said GAWR was 5100 lbs per axle. Started looking at the axles and took down the serial number then sent to Dexter Axle to get a print out of the axle information for future maintenance..bearing part number etc.

Here is where it gets interesting. Spec sheet from Dexter says my axles are 4400 lb axles!!!! Called GD, gave them my VIN and they said your 297 came with 5100 lb axles, but let me check to see if the engineers made a change and they asked me to send a picture of the plate off the axles. Waiting on response from GD

No engineer in their right mind would put 4400 lb axles on a trailer with a GVWR of 9995 lbs. 4400 lbs x 2 = 8800 lbs. I know the TW will reduce some of the weight off the axles but still seems way under rated to me.

Has anyone else checked their serial number with Dexter to verify the axles that came on their GD?
    Brian-USMC Retired
    2019 Reflection 297RSTS
    2019 RAM 3500 Laramie MegaCab-4x4 DRW-AISIN
    Propride 3P Hitch
    Spokane, WA

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reeldirtydawg View Post
    Was going through my new Vehicle Weight Information Sheet provided by Grand Design when I picked up my new trailer. Noticed that the sheet said GAWR was 5100 lbs per axle. Started looking at the axles and took down the serial number then sent to Dexter Axle to get a print out of the axle information for future maintenance..bearing part number etc.

Here is where it gets interesting. Spec sheet from Dexter says my axles are 4400 lb axles!!!! Called GD, gave them my VIN and they said your 297 came with 5100 lb axles, but let me check to see if the engineers made a change and they asked me to send a picture of the plate off the axles. Waiting on response from GD

No engineer in their right mind would put 4400 lb axles on a trailer with a GVWR of 9995 lbs. 4400 lbs x 2 = 8800 lbs. I know the TW will reduce some of the weight off the axles but still seems way under rated to me.

Has anyone else checked their serial number with Dexter to verify the axles that came on their GD?
    Hi Brian,

Here is a pic of my 2017 297RSTS. It states it is an LCI product rated at 5200 lbs. Just curious, does yours state the GAWR on the axle tag, where you found the serial number?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DBEC5796-56B4-4742-901A-A57F3F67BC4C.jpeg  
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going to crawl back under there when I get home, will post a picture.
    Brian-USMC Retired
    2019 Reflection 297RSTS
    Propride 3P Hitch
    Spokane, WA

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also compare to the sticker on the front street side of camper.

Other Brian

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Two 5,200 pound axles on our 2017 297RSTS. Several years ago, I caught GDRV putting on 5,200 Axles for rigs that were spec'd for 6,000 axles. It resulted in a recall. If the placard by the storage door calls for a particular axle, and the axles themselves are different, then another recall is looming.

Here's the placard from our rig:

Jim

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for posting comments and pictures. I crawled under the TT and took pictures. The actual sticker details 51000 lb axles. The sheet the dealer gave me with the axles listed and their serial numbers did not match up, thats what caused the confusion when I emailed those serial numbers to Dexter.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trailer Plate.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	18730

Name:	Axle 1.jpg 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	18731
    Brian-USMC Retired
    2019 Reflection 297RSTS
    Propride 3P Hitch
    Spokane, WA

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reeldirtydawg View Post
    Thanks everyone for posting comments and pictures. I crawled under the TT and took pictures. The actual sticker details 51000 lb axles. The sheet the dealer gave me with the axles listed and their serial numbers did not match up, thats what caused the confusion when I emailed those serial numbers to Dexter.

Name:	Trailer Plate.jpg 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	18730

Name:	Axle 1.jpg 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	18731

Great! Sounds like you have the correct ones.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed