User Tag List

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Snowbird heading north from Phoenix

I am returning to Canada from Phoenix next week and was thinking of going north through Flagstaff and then taking either 89 or 89a to link up with I15 in Utah. Anyone have experience towing through this area? Looks like some great scenery!

Bob
    2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
    2018 Reflection 295RL

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only issue I'd suspect might be winter type weather in and around Flag, depending on when you are leaving......once past Flag the ride to 15 IS pretty, and 89 and 89A are trailer friendly

Cal
    Cal, Marsha and Bear the Labradoodle
    2019 F350 Platinum DRW, 6.7 PSD, 4:10, Firestone Airbags
    Pullrite Superlite
    2019 Momentum 376th
    Aprilia RST1000
    Evelo Aurora E-bikes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From PHX to Flag it's a great drive, there are some steep grades and semis going 10 MPH up some of them. Take your time and be careful on the descents. I would definitely stay off I-17 on the weekend, it gets crazy. Cars flying by swapping lanes and left lane campers etc. If there's a wreck it can shut down for hours as there's no other detour routes for most of the stretch between PHX and Flag. Go on a weekday and leave after breakfast. Stop in Rimrock at Jim's Trading Post if you like really cool antiques and great prices on Navajo pawn, and don't like the crowds. As for 115 I haven't been there in 30 years, I'm sure someone will chime in.

edit: If you've been wintering in PHX you probably already know all about I-17 and you're probably looking for input North of Flag?
    Last edited by bigb56; 03-26-2019 at 09:12 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have the time, 87 (Beeline hiway) to Lake Mary Road is a very scenic way to Flagstaff. 4 lanes to Payson, balance 2 lanes. The majority of the trip is in the Tonto and Coconino forests.
    Current;
    2017 Reflection 337LRS 5th with 2016 Silverado LTX 3500HD Duramax
    2019 Reflection 367BHS 5th permanent in RV park

Past;
    30' TH TT Weekend Warrior, 36' TH 5th Weekend Warrior (both with Ford F250 diesel)
    26' TT Shadow Cruiser, 30' TT Cougar (both with Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi)

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I tow this exact route every year. We drive from Tucson to Salt Lake to visit our kids. The 89 is very picturesque and a nice drive. I'd suggest that you take UT20 from the 89 over to I-15. It's not a tough drive at all.

Jim

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    89 North will take you through my home town, Page. The drive from Flag can be a little tedious but lots to see off the highway like Grand Canyon (North and South rims), Horseshoe Bend, Lake Powell, Antelope Canyon.

Our preferred route to I 15 is to stay on 89 to I 70 then come off just after Richfield. Follow UT25 (I think) to I 15 The scenery is great...UT20 is good too.

Len

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even though we have not officially begun regular travel in a TT yet I bought the R&R Publishing Mountain Directories and really like them. Read up the night before and no surprises the next day. Plus I love road maps and road atlases anyway. Anyone else tried them?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rand Mcnally.jpg