User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who has retired to TN and how do you like it?

I retire in about 3 years. We currently live in WI and the cold winters soak deeper into our bones as we get older. We have been thinking of retiring to TN, buying some acreage, and building a small retirement home. One of my dreams has always been to build a geodesic dome, and it seems as though TN has land that is reasonable, and a tax burden that is fairly good towards retirees. So my question for those that live in TN is how do you like your area of the state? Are thinking of retiring and moving somewhere else, or does TN have everything you want. We have no interest in full-timing, but do enjoy extended trips, so land that does not need a lot of maintenance will be high on our list. Thanks in advance your thoughts and experience.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am originally from Nashville but went to college in Memphis and stayed there 18 years. Happiest day of my life was when I got transferred back to Nashville area. Unfortunately, the city has changed, and real estate prices are now out of sight. Bare land outside of Nashville can be affordable, however, and the region has a great atmosphere and lifestyle. Forget West Tennessee--simply put.

I have worked extensively in the Mid-Cumberland area 2 hrs. east of Nashville and all the way to Virginia. East Tennessee is an incredibly beautiful place and the society is very good.

There are a bunch of geodesic dome homes up in Banner-Elk, NC--at the Beech Mountain and Sugar Mountain ski areas. But NC taxation is a big downer. It's close to the Tennessee state line, however--East of Elizabethton.

As far as great places to retire, I'm a Tennessee ex-patriot living 2 hrs. south of Nashville with the incredible Tennessee River in my front yard. We have it all, with very, very low property taxes and very low state income taxes. Anywhere on the 650 mile navigable Tennessee River is a nice place to live--from Paducah to Knoxville.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought 19 acres just north of Nashville last year and are building on it for retirement down the road still living in Kentucky. Best part is we are now TN residents and don't pay state income tax anymore.

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife lived and taught in East Tennessee for a number of years (a small college in Jefferson City). We both love the area and, when the kids were in school in Knoxville and then working in 'Nooga, used to visit as often as we could. East Tennessee made it to our spreadsheet for places to settle down but quickly fell low in the rankings due to lack of accessibility to major airports (unless you live near the big cities), distance from specialty health care, and lack of cultural and educational opportunities (again - unless you live near the big cities).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have lived in TN, about an hour south of Nashville, for 8 years. Moved here from St. Louis.

Like most choices, there are pluses and minuses. On the plus side, no income tax, fairly low property taxes, rural land is fairly cheap, if you are religious and conservative - you will feel right at home - otherwise you will feel like an outsider. On the minus side, very low skilled labor pool, low wages, mediocre health care, limited shopping (besides Walmart) in many areas, poor rural roads, hot and humid summers, cold and wet winters.

Again, pluses and minuses. All depends on what you want out of life and what is important to you. Best of luck in whatever you choose.
    Mike, Linda, and Shady (terrier mix rescue)

Reflection 150 230 RL with free standing dinette (swapped location of the dinette and the recliners)
    2020 GMC 3500 Denali
    B&W Companion Hitch and Turning Point Pin Box locked out

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep those cards and letters coming, I appreciate all the experiences.

We are going to the TN rally in Deer Run by Crossville. We thought we would at talk to a real estate agent. Having never bought land before, I think my biggest question is "what do I need to know before I buy land in TN?" I have read all kinds of things about septic, wells, mineral rights, flood zones and so on. It would be helpful, I think, to have someone in the industry to talk to. Maybe someone here?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John303 View Post
    Keep those cards and letters coming, I appreciate all the experiences.

We are going to the TN rally in Deer Run by Crossville. We thought we would at talk to a real estate agent. Having never bought land before, I think my biggest question is "what do I need to know before I buy land in TN?" I have read all kinds of things about septic, wells, mineral rights, flood zones and so on. It would be helpful, I think, to have someone in the industry to talk to. Maybe someone here?
    We are going to the rally as well. Will be there the second week, coming in on Monday. If you are going to be there that week, I would be happy to chat. Let me know.
    Mike, Linda, and Shady (terrier mix rescue)

Reflection 150 230 RL with free standing dinette (swapped location of the dinette and the recliners)
    2020 GMC 3500 Denali
    B&W Companion Hitch and Turning Point Pin Box locked out

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone able to recommend a realtor in the Crossville area? I was going to check out the Cumberland Mountain Preserve... http://cumberlandmtnrvcommunity.com...but the rather restrictive covenants put me off. I have always wanted a geodesic dome home, and it does not seem a good fit. Anyway, a visit to a realtor would probably save me some time while in the area.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RE: "So my question for those that live in TN is how do you like your area of the state?"

I wasn't born there, but I got to Tennessee as quick as I could. I grew up in East Tennessee, just west of Knoxville. The Vietnam era draft and subsequent military service forced me to leave, so I haven't "lived" there for the last 50 years. However, I visit several times a year and would
    move back in a heartbeat - IF my lovely bride would agree to move away from the grandkids here in Maryland.

I describe Tennessee this way:

East Tennessee is Smoky Mtns, TVA lakes, hillbillies, and UT football. God's country, IMO.
    Middle Tennessee is more cosmopolitan, Nashville, Music City, a bit more gentrified, and more urban.
    West Tennessee is not really Tennessee at all. (Memphis is the capital of North Mississippi.) Elvis, Mississippi River, flat land.
    My point is there are three distinct areas, geography, and culture. I generalize, but it is a valid way of looking at it.

If quick access to excellent medical care is important, you'll want to be reasonably close to Knoxville or Nashville.
    Nashville has more airline possibilities. Both are college towns that afford fairly broad cultural and entertainment opportunities.

If I were to pick a couple of places to investigate as retirement locations, it would be...
    a. The tri-cities area of Kingsport-Johnson City-Bristol. (One advantage is the lower sales tax in neighboring Virginia.)
    b. The Crossville - Cookeville area between Nashville & Knoxville.
    Real estate prices in both areas are still "reasonable."

I agree you'll learn a lot by talking to realtors in the area. Lots of ways to learn on the internet also.
    Don't forget to assess how well you will adapt to the different culture. Some people who have lived a lifetime in the north find
    that the most difficult adjustment.
    Good luck.

K
    Ken & Wilma
    Central Maryland
    2014 Reflection 337RLS #439
    2011 F250 CC 4x4

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John303 View Post
    So my question for those that live in TN is how do you like your area of the state?
    I moved to Chattanooga from central Illinois 20 years ago. We live 30 miles south of Chattanooga in Georgia now, but I work in Chattanooga and still think it's a great place to be. A revitalization of the downtown/riverfront area began almost 30 years ago, and it's still going strong. Chattanooga is centrally located between Atlanta, Nashville, Birmingham and Knoxville. Traffic around Chattanooga is definitely easier than Atlanta or Nashville, and cost of living is lower too. With its close proximity to rivers, lakes, and mountains, Chattanooga won Outside magazine's Best Towns contest twice over the past decade https://www.outsideonline.com/200895...best-town-ever History buffs appreciate the nearby Chickamauga battlefield. And the winters here are much more mild than they are in the Midwest.
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast