User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shopping on Amazon, the kit with the 9 hole shank is 587.00 and the kit with the 7 hole is 641.00.

so for 54 more you get a smaller hitch. I might just get the 9 hole.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 1500 lb. bars, but my toy hauler was1340 lbs of tongue weight when empty....and a lot less with two motorcycles and gear/toolbox in the garage

I'd have to check and see the number of holes in each one...because once I found the correct height, I had a machine shop cut off some of the excess. That stuff is HARD....I couldn't touch it with a hacksaw. The machine shop had a metal cutting saw that used a blade that was almost 2" wide and made to cut metal up to like 9" thick our ????
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Do you have a 2-1/2" receiver on your F250, or just a 2". If you have the 2-1/2", make sure you go with that version. It will give you a lot more capacity. For example, on my F350, I can have 1,900# of tongue weigh with the 2-1/2" receiver, but only 1,250# with the 2" adapter. Check your hitch placard.

Jim

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Do you have a 2-1/2" receiver on your F250, or just a 2". If you have the 2-1/2", make sure you go with that version. It will give you a lot more capacity. For example, on my F350, I can have 1,900# of tongue weigh with the 2-1/2" receiver, but only 1,250# with the 2" adapter. Check your hitch placard.

Jim
    2 inch reciver

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrh1282 View Post
    2 inch reciver
    Just in case, making sure there is not a “sleeve” or adapter in your hitch, making it a 2” from the 2.5” outer?

Your hitch placard would also state it as Jim’s does.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
    Just in case, making sure there is not a “sleeve” or adapter in your hitch, making it a 2” from the 2.5” outer?

Your hitch placard would also state it as Jim’s does.

Yes its 2 inch hitch, I dont think they had 2.5 in 2005 but that's not the problem. I need to know what shank i need 7 or 9 hole?

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On my stock F350, I'm using the 7 hole.

Jim

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mrh....I just pulled the original paperwork out of my file cabinet for my purchase of the B.O. that I bought for my tow behind, the one I talked about in an earlier post above. I bought the BXW 1506, which came with the 9 hole shank. After getting it set up for my use, what I found is that if I went up or down a driveway entrance, like at a gas station/convenience mart/etc. and the angle from the street to the driveway had a rise to it, I would drag the bottom of the shank on the pavement. That is why I had it cut off after getting it where I needed it. I know that really doesn't help you a lot, but it's certainly something to consider. on mine, the shank had to mounted so the the "gusset" plate on the shank was facing DOWN....which made the long part of the 9 bolt pattern too close to the ground. I had, at that time, a 2011 F250 w/diesel and it ended up just being too long. What it is going to boil down to is the receiver height of your truck, the height of the trailer coupler when the trailer is loaded and level, and of course how much your truck's rear end sags when the trailer is loaded onto the hitch. The holes in the shank where the hitch head U shaped bracket is bolted to have a 1 1/4" spacing center to center, so moving the hitch head up or down is in 1 1/4" increments.

As a side note, maybe give etrailer.com a call and tell them what you've got/getting and be prepared to tell them the height of the center of your 2" receiver tube to the ground. They probably will be able to help you and if you can find out from the dealer, the height of the coupler to the ground, when the trailer is sitting level, it probably can be figured out.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    mrh....I just pulled the original paperwork out of my file cabinet for my purchase of the B.O. that I bought for my tow behind, the one I talked about in an earlier post above. I bought the BXW 1506, which came with the 9 hole shank. After getting it set up for my use, what I found is that if I went up or down a driveway entrance, like at a gas station/convenience mart/etc. and the angle from the street to the driveway had a rise to it, I would drag the bottom of the shank on the pavement. That is why I had it cut off after getting it where I needed it. I know that really doesn't help you a lot, but it's certainly something to consider. on mine, the shank had to mounted so the the "gusset" plate on the shank was facing DOWN....which made the long part of the 9 bolt pattern too close to the ground. I had, at that time, a 2011 F250 w/diesel and it ended up just being too long. What it is going to boil down to is the receiver height of your truck, the height of the trailer coupler when the trailer is loaded and level, and of course how much your truck's rear end sags when the trailer is loaded onto the hitch. The holes in the shank where the hitch head U shaped bracket is bolted to have a 1 1/4" spacing center to center, so moving the hitch head up or down is in 1 1/4" increments.

As a side note, maybe give etrailer.com a call and tell them what you've got/getting and be prepared to tell them the height of the center of your 2" receiver tube to the ground. They probably will be able to help you and if you can find out from the dealer, the height of the coupler to the ground, when the trailer is sitting level, it probably can be figured out.
    Thank you for looking into that, if your 2011 f250 was too long I cant see why my stock 2005 f250 wouldn't have the same problem. I think i'm going to order the standard 7 hole kit. I called blue ox and they weren't no help at all. But i was just reading some post from 2017 that couple of guys bought the 7 hole but needed more adjustment and called blue ox and they sent them the 9 hole at no charge, just had to send the 7 hole back. So that might be a option.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrh1282 View Post
    Thank you for looking into that, if your 2011 f250 was too long I cant see why my stock 2005 f250 wouldn't have the same problem. I think i'm going to order the standard 7 hole kit. I called blue ox and they weren't no help at all. But i was just reading some post from 2017 that couple of guys bought the 7 hole but needed more adjustment and called blue ox and they sent them the 9 hole at no charge, just had to send the 7 hole back. So that might be a option.
    That sound like a great option if they will still do that. It's certainly cheaper than paying a machine shop to cut it off for you. I got a price over the phone for having mine cut and the guy told me $20. When I arrived that afternoon and he saw what I actually had, he kind of shook his head and said something about screwing up.....it probably should have been $40. He honored his price quote though, and I offered to split the difference with him. He told me no, I gave you a quote and I'll honor it. I got lucky I guess.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast