User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which blue ox sway pro to use with F250

Im getting my new 2800Bh next week and I think i'm going to buy the blue ox system. I'm just not sure on which one to get, I want the 1,000 pound kit but i see they have a "s" series which comes with the 9 hole shank. Will the standard 7 hole work with a stock 2005 f250 or do i need the "S" series with the 9 hole?

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a recently retired B.O. Sway Pro that is two years old. We bought a Momentum 5th wheeler and I no longer need it. I'm going to try and see everything as a package ( extra stuff included) but unless someone is fairly close to me, the shipping would be over the moon expensive I'm guessing

I'm assuming your truck has the 2" receiver, so as far as I know, the 7 hole vs. The 9 hole just gives you more room for adjustment in height.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah it would be expensive to ship but then again these hitches aren't cheap either. I might call blue ox and see what they recommend, I dont want to buy the 9 hole if I dont need it. But then again I dont want to buy the 7 hole and then have to buy the 9 hole haha

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went through the same thing. The second shank I bought was the 2 1/2" version and I got rid of the 2" adapter that way. Mine even has the StrapTek winches instead of the B.O. pullups, although I kept the original ones
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What shank did you use the 7 or 9 hole?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a similar set up, but my trailer was a bit heavier. If you have a choice, I recommend getting the 2.5” shank and the 1,500 bars. You may need it later if you change rv’s Also, something I didn’t know, anything rear of the axles in the bed of your truck counts toward the tongue weight, so the 1500 bars should be a better choice for you. I believe I have the seven hole shank, and it is fine for my stock F350, and was fine for my past F250.

The Blue Ox has been great for me. As Xrated mentioned though, the bars can be tough to load, even when you raise the trailer and truck with the tongue jack first. He has a neat set up with the straps instead of the chains. I use a breaker bar and one inch socket instead of the flat bar Blue Ox provides.
    Last edited by Steve7; 03-27-2019 at 12:24 PM.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrh1282 View Post
    Im getting my new 2800Bh next week and I think i'm going to buy the blue ox system. I'm just not sure on which one to get, I want the 1,000 pound kit but i see they have a "s" series which comes with the 9 hole shank. Will the standard 7 hole work with a stock 2005 f250 or do i need the "S" series with the 9 hole?
    You might want to consider the 1500lb bars. 14% of trailer gvw is a pretty safe estimate for tongue weight. That's 1100 lbs or so. To size the hitch you need to include the weight of the hitch and any other weight behind the axle of your truck. I'd guess the Blue Ox weighs 100 lbs +. I thought the 1500 would be good for my 315RLTS but went with the 2000 because I wanted the 2-1/2 inch shank. Glad I did. Most GD TT's are pretty nose heavy. GD's published hitch weights are for a dry, empty trailer, no propane or battery. Even then, your hitch weight will likely be higher empty than what they publish.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, im now sold on the 1500 bars. My last trailer was only 4200 pounds with hitch weight of 430 and i had 1000 pound bars on that. This trailer will be double so I should get the 1500 bars. But i still dont know which shank to get, I know I need 2 inch but should i go with 7 or 9 hole.

Thank with this brainstorm.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, im now sold on the 1500 bars. My last trailer was only 4200 pounds with hitch weight of 430 and i had 1000 pound bars on that. This trailer will be double so I should get the 1500 bars. But i still dont know which shank to get, I know I need 2 inch but should i go with 7 or 9 hole.

If you can get the tongue height of the trailer when level it might help. If I'm not mistaken, you take that dimension and add 1-1/2 or 2 inches. That would determine how high the ball needs to be. That should get you in the ballpark deciding which shank to use.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The shank is reversible, but I doubt you would need to use it in the up position. Unless your truck is really raised, the standard holed shank should work. I think I still had a hole or two left when I had my F250.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast