User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A real shame that this would happen to anyone. The pic looks like the center hanger has ripped from the frame? If so, once it starts to break away the bending begins. There have been many solutions to stresses applied to the hangers where at a minimum, after the repair I would have the MORryde x factor bracket installed on the center hanger. Mine will be installed in the spring.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom did you contact the city/county/village that is responsible for this bridge/road? Also I’m no engineer but I’m not sure if I’ve got this situation straight in my head. The damage was from your axles being driven up into the frame.......so this was at the far end of the bridge?? In any event certainly doesn’t sound like the transition is correct. Especially without warning.
    2018 F-350 6.7L diesel SRW CCSB Lariat with OEM rolling tonneau
    Pullrite Superglide OE Series #2914, Titan 55Gal Tank(midship)
    2018 Momentum 354 M-Class no mods yet.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm putting this out there for discussion. This incident happened in June that we're assuming caused the bent frame and misalingnment of the axles and tires. Yet later in August, at the Rally, a Lippert tech had the tires off the camper to repair leaking grease seals and brakes. Later in the year we had the tires replaced at a tire store near us. My question is; should either of these employees noticed the tires were out of alignment? If so, I could have been notified of this condition and addressed it before further travel. It's noticeable to us now because it's been pointed out. It may be possible to the condition occurred later, although I don't know of any road where this may have happened. Anyway, should an alert employee caught this condition if it existed at that time?
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you submit an insurance claim on this?
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFSolitude View Post
    I'm putting this out there for discussion. This incident happened in June that we're assuming caused the bent frame and misalingnment of the axles and tires. Yet later in August, at the Rally, a Lippert tech had the tires off the camper to repair leaking grease seals and brakes. Later in the year we had the tires replaced at a tire store near us. My question is; should either of these employees noticed the tires were out of alignment? If so, I could have been notified of this condition and addressed it before further travel. It's noticeable to us now because it's been pointed out. It may be possible to the condition occurred later, although I don't know of any road where this may have happened. Anyway, should an alert employee caught this condition if it existed at that time?
    Tom - have you posted a picture(s) of the bent frame ? I do not recall seeing any pictures.

Back in the day I suspect folks would have seen something is not right and alerted you. These days, particularly with the two business you reference......not so much. The employers are probably just happy they showed up for work and passed a drug test.

Dan
    Last edited by Canyonlight; 04-04-2019 at 04:44 PM.
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a picture, with the tires on I cannot see the condition. It was observed and relayed to me by the suspension repair people. Yes, I'll submit an insurance claim once I know the cost. that's not saying the claim will be approved, at least at first.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    Can you submit an insurance claim on this?
    If the damage is sudden and resulting from a single event, yes. No different than hitting an object in the road.

The catch is if there are signs of maintenance or manufacturing issues, say a half ****** weld, your frame rusted through or your alignment contributed to damage etc they will not pay as those items aren't covered.

Details and documentation are important.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFSolitude View Post
    Hi Tom,

I can see where a guy changing tires might not look beyond the task he was doing . . . but I am surprised that the LCI techs would not have noticed this. I don't know if it is part of their work instructions, but they always seem to "take a look around" at everything else when they are buttoning up their work. Is there any chance that you got this much "twist" into the suspension while backing into your tight, soft ground, Florida site?

In the picture attached to post 4 you can see where the twisting hanger has taken the lower flange of the I beam frame rail with it. This is on the street side . . . we didn't really take a close look at the curb side other than to notice the side-to-side offset of the rear axle to the right and the front axle to the left. This does look like "twist" rather than "impact" kind of damage.

Rob
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 04-05-2019 at 02:20 PM.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob, we haven't ruled out the soft ground and tight turn in backing into our FL site. We have our Lippert repair appt set for 4/16, shortly after getting home. I had a good conversation with Josh at Lippert on what's been found, how it may have happened, and documenting (with photos) everything they find. I'm pursuing an insurance claim as I'm already out $1700. They will take down the coroplast and inspect everything.
    More to follow when I know more.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Tom,

Thanks for the detailed write-up on what has happened so far. (Sorry if I "put you on the spot" )
    There will be many who will thank you for the details on how one goes about working through something like this.
    I think it is wise to get LCI's advice on this . . . whether they do the repairs or you get it done elsewhere.
    Looking forward to further chapters in this saga.

Rob
    Rob, I see that Tom mentions the Lippert Correct Track in his description of his problem. I've seen it and heard about it as being a good thing - (and not wanting to derail this thread) but would like your thoughts about that system. I've been thinking about having it installed on our 303.

Eric
    Happy campers! / Lorna & Eric and our little furball, Finnan, Canandaigua, NY
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 6.6L Duramax Turbo Diesel, Allison 6 speed transmission, 5th wheel setup, Pullrite SuperGlide 20k
    2018 Reflection 303RLS Built 3/2018, Dual AC's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast