User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nyfingerlakes View Post
    Rob, I see that Tom mentions the Lippert Correct Track in his description of his problem. I've seen it and heard about it as being a good thing - (and not wanting to derail this thread) but would like your thoughts about that system. I've been thinking about having it installed on our 303.

Eric
    Hi Eric,

Correct Track is an alignment system that used to be standard on many GDRV products. It uses hex shaped plates to adjust the fore-aft position of the axles. The problem was that no dealers invested in the laser measuring tool to adjust with this system. It was almost never used and is not part of the Dexter suspensions used today. Adding it “after market” extends the length of your hangers . . . making them more suceptible to bending fracture. In my opinion . . . this is not a good idea.

. . . now back to our regularly scheduled programming .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are they still using Correct track on GD products? I was under the impression they quit installing that system. I tried to use it for aligning my rig but adjustment was way too course. On the order of 0.375". I would not recommend spending any money or effort to install the Correct Track. Save your money for to replace broken spring hangers.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm actually surprised there aren't more threads like this one on the forum. Towing on I-16 across Georgia and then I-95 up to Virginia we encountered many of the same type of transitions (though not as extreme) as the OP. The stretch of I-95 from the South Carolina/Georgia border up to the I-26 junction was especially rough. Yet another reason I've slowed down and now do a max of 65 mpg on these east coast interstates.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the trailer's at Lippert today. We checked it in, met a mechanic named Bruce who proceeded to do a 360 photographing every angle. I explain everything I detailed in post #5 . He looks underneath a little and says "I've seen worse". This is when we notice that the kitchen slide decals don't match up to the body wall. The slide is raised up approx 1/2 - 3/4". Nancy had noticed when closing the slides recently as we camped at various locations heading home that this slide would pitch in at the top, then even out, then the bottom would come in and finally the top would finish closing. Yesterday, this was accompanied with quite an audible pop. This was explained to Bruce and the aforementioned Josh when he joined us. Now the previous estimate of a full day at $129/hr has become 2 days. I forget to ask if the frame is still under warranty.
    They assure us that when they're done it'll be better than new and with stronger supports. This begs the question; why isn't it built that way in the first place?
    So we conclude chapter 2 not knowing much more than we did yesterday. As a preview, chapter 3 promises to include probable cause and the cost to repair our home-away-from-home.
    Stay tuned.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Repairing Suspension and Frame Damage

Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    I'm actually surprised there aren't more threads like this one on the forum. Towing on I-16 across Georgia and then I-95 up to Virginia we encountered many of the same type of transitions (though not as extreme) as the OP. The stretch of I-95 from the South Carolina/Georgia border up to the I-26 junction was especially rough. Yet another reason I've slowed down and now do a max of 65 mpg on these east coast interstates.
    It’s not just East Coast highways. The California Highway Department ought to be prosecuted for their criminal neglect of their highway system! On a previous 20’ bumper tow, I had a spring hanger bracket bend due to roadway impact stresses. When we picked up our GD 310gk from a Fresno dealer a couple of weeks ago, there was a section of SR99 just north of Fresno in such bad disrepair that we had to quickly slow down to 50 mph fearing that we’d otherwise lose our brand new rig. Absolutely abysmal!
    Based on this thread, I’ll be crawling under my GD tonight to inspect the suspension. So sad![emoji37][emoji37]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Holger & Corinne
    Granite Bay, CA

2019 Solitude 310gk w/goosebox conversion
    towed by 2012 Ford F450 Lariat crew cab 4x4
    Bilstein shocks, Air-ride air bags
    2 independent on-board Viair compressors w/2.5 gal. air tank
    Boston Whaler 21' Outrage when not towing 5'er

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chapter 3: We Bring The Camper Home. The mechanics at Lippert found the frame was indeed bent and bowed.
    Josh explained what happened next. After jacking it up and removing the coroplast they found a cross member broken at rear. They installed a new one at that location plus added 3 more. They are attributing the break to road conditiions. Further, they added a 2x2 tube on each side the length of the frame for strength. We had noticed the camper seemed higher as we first walked up to it, so that explains why. They also had to replace the EquiFlex suspension I had installed in Florida. On the drive north that had also bent again. Next they removed the extra spring installed on the street side, under the kitchen slide. With the frame properly repaired, cross members in place, and aligned there was no sag. He went so far as saying it was inappropriate to have an extra spring on one side.
    All totaled there were 30 hours labor and a parts list that's tough to decipher; wet bolts, 1x2 and 2x2 tubes totalling 32', XMC 5.81x5.81x2.35x.22 L5.03 4 each, and of course ANG 3.313x3.313x.179 L1.813 6 each, etc, etc.
    So we towed it home no problem, but then again there never was a problem towing.
    We're thankful to Lippert for their prompt attention and turn around time, getting us our camper back in one week. Many times people are without their camper a whole season. We're good to go and will see some of you at the Michigan Area Rally next month.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFSolitude View Post
    Well, the trailer's at Lippert today. We checked it in, met a mechanic named Bruce who proceeded to do a 360 photographing every angle. I explain everything I detailed in post #5 . He looks underneath a little and says "I've seen worse". This is when we notice that the kitchen slide decals don't match up to the body wall. The slide is raised up approx 1/2 - 3/4". Nancy had noticed when closing the slides recently as we camped at various locations heading home that this slide would pitch in at the top, then even out, then the bottom would come in and finally the top would finish closing. Yesterday, this was accompanied with quite an audible pop. This was explained to Bruce and the aforementioned Josh when he joined us. Now the previous estimate of a full day at $129/hr has become 2 days. I forget to ask if the frame is still under warranty.
    They assure us that when they're done it'll be better than new and with stronger supports. This begs the question; why isn't it built that way in the first place?
    So we conclude chapter 2 not knowing much more than we did yesterday. As a preview, chapter 3 promises to include probable cause and the cost to repair our home-away-from-home.
    Stay tuned.
    So happy you are good to go. All this work has me wondering if I should just get something similar done while my rig is new and hopefully true to the road.
    2018 F-350 6.7L diesel SRW CCSB Lariat with OEM rolling tonneau
    Pullrite Superglide OE Series #2914, Titan 55Gal Tank(midship)
    2018 Momentum 354 M-Class no mods yet.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to chime in with a couple of questions and thoughts. Hitting a large ridge like the OP describes puts a huge amount of stress directly rearward on the frame at the location of the springs. I have seen impacts like this shear the center bolt on the leaf springs, bend the axle tubes, dent wheels and break leaf springs. Usually the majority of the impact is absorbed by the front spring and axle. That being said, I would question whether the damage you experienced was from the impact on the bridge. It is highly likely that turning while backing in soft ground could be the culprit. If you have ever watched a large 5th wheel being turned sharply on asphalt, you can see the severe stress imposed sideways on the tires and frame, but due to the hard surface, the tires will usually skid on the asphalt. Soft ground could essentially create a rut and not allow any sideways movement of the tires and transmit all of the force to the hangers and the frame and I would venture to guess this is what happened. I am sorry that this happened to your trailer, but maybe we can learn from this.
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners
    RETIRED Maint Supervisor, Certified Welder, ASE Master Tech, Owner tire shop

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123