User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Repairing Suspension and Frame Damage

Here's something I'm not happy about doing: Replaced the Equiflex suspension system due to damage. Tampa Spring here in Lakeland, FL did the work. While everything was disassmebled they also found the frame is bent on the door side. Next call is to the GD Service for an appt for repair.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190327_092914.jpg  
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFSolitude View Post
    Here's something I'm not happy about doing: Replaced the Equiflex suspension system due to damage. Tampa Spring here in Lakeland, FL did the work. While everything was disassmebled they also found the frame is bent on the door side. Next call is to the GD Service for an appt for repair.
    How the heck did that frame get bent.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Repairing Suspension and Frame Damage

The start of this discussion was originally buried in the "What have you done to your RV this week?" thread.
    I think that this should be its own topic since many of us who have wrestled with suspension problems will be interested in how this gets resolved.

I will transfer the original post by Tom @TNFSolitude to this new thread.
    (Since Nancy & Tom and Cate & I have spent some time together in Florida this winter, I have some first-hand knowledge and interest in this discussion)

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adding a picture that I took of the damage to Tom's Solitude suspension . . .
    (I will let Tom explain how it got this way)

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4073.jpg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob, I think.
    Well, our saga starts on US-6 heading north from Cape Cod enroute to Bangor, ME. I believe we were near Hwy 130, travelling at about 62 mph when we hit an approx 3 - 4" drop on the road going over a bridge. We were on ashpalt and the bridge was concrete. On the opposite side there was the same 3 or 4" rise back to the asphalt roadway. There were no barrels or road construction signs or any warnings of the drop. Anyway, as we hit the drop onto the concrete there was much flexing of the camper and as my foot was now off the accelerator and braking we hit the rise on the other side. More flexing, plus the dashboard display shows "Trailer Disconnected". I say a bad word as I look in the mirror, the camper is still there. Phew. It takes about a 1/4 mile until I can pull off to the shoulder. I put on the flashers and get out and walk to the back. There I notice the camper is unplugged. I plug it in and check the lights, there is only a left blinker. I reseat the plug, it is damaged, and check again. Still only left blinker.
    We take off from there and get onto I-495 north and find an exit with a Walmart, someplace with a big parking lot to manuever in. Now upon further inspection I notice I've lost my tailgate, an after-market Stromberg Carlson vented, the basic model. Again I try reseating the plug but still just the one blinker. We finish trip with no further incident.
    Now, that's the only major incident involving the camper. We've never had anyone tell us of towing imbalance, dog-walking so to speak. I've never noticed any difference in towing the rest of the trip, home is Newport, MI or later. Since that incident we've towed it over 2000 miles to where we are now in Lakeland, FL.
    Upon arrival here I did have some difficulty backing it into our site as the ground was soft and wet. Pushing it backward I had several false starts and times where I had to go forward, cut the wheel, back up, cut the wheel, go forward again. You get the picture. My new neighbor then stated he noticed how it was towing uneven as I first came down the street, inspection showing what Rob has pictured.
    So, I take several of my own photos and contacted a couple of spring repair shops, and settling on Tampa Spring's Lakeland location. They inspect and diagnose the problem is with the suspension system, first thinking it was Morryde not LCI's Equiflex Correct Trak. They replace the Equiflex suspension, add a leaf to the driver side springs due to sag on that side (a topic for another thread). Upon completion I get the news that the frame is bent, primalily on the door side. I'm advised to contact the manufacturer for further advice, and told to minimize towing. We're in Lakeland, we live in Michigan, the manufacturer is in Indiana. How am I going to minimize towing?
    So, after a brief discussion with Duane at Grand Design Cust Serv I'm directed to contact LCI directly. It's their frame and I should work with them. I contact LCI and first talk to Todd and a case # is established. He sends me an email confirming our discussion and requests more information and photos to document the bent frame. I respond with what I have. More photos are reqested as well as a better description of the "bent frame". I'm given questions to ask Tampa Spring. After calling these guys again, they don't answer the questions in a format LCI asked. So, after more discussion and photos and emails we get this case # referred to LCI Axle, Suspension and Frame Dept. I'm told to expect a call from them today, Mar 29th, for further discussion and possibly a repair estimate.
    And here we are at the end of chapter 1 of our story. If this gripping tale has you on the edge of your seat, as I am as I write our story, stay tuned.

Thanks for reading along and if you have had a bent frame issue, how was it resolved?
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If this gripping tale has you on the edge of your seat
    I'm really sorry to hear this Tom but your story does have me on the edge of my seat!

I hope you get this resolved without too much customer service drama. Customer service phone calls are the one thing just about guaranteed to stress me out.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like hearing this, there are a lot of bad high ways out here and the frames should be up to it, and should not bend on something that small.
    2012 Chevy 3500 DRW DURAMAX
    2016 Momentum 397th
    TOY 2013 800 RZR LE

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Tom, thanks for the extensive write up. As our rigs age, I'm sure there will be other examples of units with frame problems. Your experience will be very beneficial on how folks address these problems in the future. Best wishes for a speedy outcome.

Jim

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob, I think . . . . If this gripping tale has you on the edge of your seat, as I am as I write our story, stay tuned.
    Hi Tom,

Thanks for the detailed write-up on what has happened so far. (Sorry if I "put you on the spot" )
    There will be many who will thank you for the details on how one goes about working through something like this.
    I think it is wise to get LCI's advice on this . . . whether they do the repairs or you get it done elsewhere.
    Looking forward to further chapters in this saga.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lippert called today to get more information about the camper. I was told a bent frame repair takes a full day at $129/hr. I'm supposed to hear back from a Josh shortly to set a repair appt. Not an exciting update but that's all I got.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast