User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Question Is this Stolen Valor ?

I'm pretty sure most of ya'll know what stolen valor is...

When a civilian who's never served in the armed forces dawns the uniform of say an Army General and walks around Home Depot just to get attention. I'm actually amazed at how often it happens. I think the people that do it have to have a screw loose and even though I've yet to see any of them become violent while pretending to be a General or whatever rank (they tend to impersonate high-ranking officers) they're usually met with quite a bit of violence by real Vets.
    (Just do a search for Stolen Valor on Youtube if you don't believe me)

It's also bad when someone who actually did serve makes up stories of being a POW when he never was, or claims to have earned medals he never earned, or a Vet that lies about where they were deployed. We can all agree these are wrong. I don't know why some Vets do this either but it happens.

About a hundred years ago when I was on active duty, and walking through an airport to catch a MAC flight, I noticed a Lieutenant that was wearing his ribbons on the wrong side and they were in the wrong order. I only noticed because I had all the same ribbons. I didn't say anything because I was in a hurry and frankly confused as to why he would do that, but I'd seen butter bars do some pretty stupid crap. I later found out there was an "incident" when a few Marines noticed the same guy and had a little chat with him.

That being said, I'm not saying the incident below is the same thing, but at the same time it kinda pissed me off...
    I saw a guy the other day (on a Facebook post) that I've known for years, and I know for a fact he never served and is too old to enlist, yet he was wearing a USMC T-shirt and shorts. I'm not talking about one of those "Proud USMC Dad" shirts, or the "We support our troops" shirts that has USMC branded across the back, I'm talking about the shirt and shorts issued in boot. It's the basic issue PT gear, and he was running in a marathon wearing this.

I was like WTF? I was really surprised. No one in his family served, so it's not like he ''borrowed'' them.
    He's technically not wearing a uniform per se, but to me, it still seems like he's purposely trying to look like a Marine.
    I realize anyone can buy this kind of stuff online nowadays, but it still seems a bit sketchy when someone who has never served wears stuff like that.

It's not like a civilian wearing dress blues and a fake MoH, but still.

I'm curious to hear what you guys think?
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree, not cool!

Rich (USAF 68-72, Danang 1 yr 1970)
    Rich And Janet (no dog or cats, 8 grandkids but not with us all at once)
    Onalaska, WA
    2011 F350, 4X4, B&W hitch
    2016 Solitude 300GK

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s a sad commentary on the weak minded.

Must say I have enjoyed asking questions that point to their fraud.

Retired Army CW5 in 2014, 35 years total time AD and TXNG.
    Last edited by Rivercityjeff; 03-30-2019 at 08:11 AM.
    Jeff and Mary
    2017 2600RB
    2022 F250 Lariat CC 6.7 w/ Max Tow
    Round Rock, (Donut Capital of Texas) <><

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I retired from LE after 28 years and feel the same way when people wear LE gear. And since I never served in the military I don't wear military type gear. I just don't think it's appropriate. Many thanks to all those who actually serve(d).
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely in poor taste and not cool but, as you said, he's technically not wearing a uniform (which would include rank, name, corps insignia, etc.). I would probably unfriend him on Facebook (with or without making a comment) and just move on. As Old Lodge Skins said in "Little Big Man," "There is an endless supply of white men, but there has always been a limited number of human beings." The same could be said of a-holes...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have mix feelings about this subject. The guy walking around Home Depot in uniform try to impress people and wearing military gear that he didn't earn and sign you support the military is another thing. I live in a town next to a military base and lot high school kids were field jacks, flight jackets, BDU pants, and issued Army PT gear. A lot of these kids are from military families and wearing them in support of mothers and fathers in the military. I do believe that "Stolen Valor" is wrong but there a fine line of wearing clothes in support of the military and what would be considered "Stolen Valor". I personally haven't worn my military uniform since retiring from the military but I do have an old flight suit that wears as coveralls once in while. My official dress greens have suffered the shirking since I have retired so I couldn't wear it if I want to.

Dennis - Retired 20 years US Army
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I definitely don't like seeing people wearing a uniform who have not served.

Have a little less of an issue with the T-Shirt, but see the point. Uncool if he's actually trying to portray he served.

Mike
    USAF 1981-2001
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is an example of what I believe.

Three guys that have never spent a day in the military.

First Guy - wearing a hat that says "I Support Our Troops" I consider at just a guy that supports the troop and nothing else.

Second Guy - Wearing a hat the says "US Army Fort Bragg NC" now this is borderline. This guy I know and didn't think he had been in the military so ask if he was stationed at Bragg and he said no my son is and I support my son. I equate this to my son that his kid going to Nebraska State next year as a wrestler and my son wears a Nebraska wrestling shirt but never attended Nebraska State.

Third Guy - He wearing a US Army Vietnam Veteran cap with a set of Master Flight Wings and the Vietnam Service Ribbon. Now that defines what I believe in a close and shut case of "Stolen Valor" and actions should take place to correct this person.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    I have mix feelings about this subject. The guy walking around Home Depot in uniform try to impress people and wearing military gear that he didn't earn and sign you support the military is another thing. I live in a town next to a military base and lot high school kids were field jacks, flight jackets, BDU pants, and issued Army PT gear. A lot of these kids are from military families and wearing them in support of mothers and fathers in the military. I do believe that "Stolen Valor" is wrong but there a fine line of wearing clothes in support of the military and what would be considered "Stolen Valor". I personally haven't worn my military uniform since retiring from the military but I do have an old flight suit that wears as coveralls once in while. My official dress greens have suffered the shirking since I have retired so I couldn't wear it if I want to.

Dennis - Retired 20 years US Army
    Same here. I wear an M65 jacket for hunting trips/camping and I wear it because It serves a purpose. However for someone to wear a full uniform just to get attention and credit for serving is really odd.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a retired Jarhead this is absolutely bad juju. .
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast