Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Stink Water

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stink Water

I am staying at a campground that is fed off a well, the well water has a bad smell to it. I tried a carbon filter and the small camco in line filters. Nothing is working for me yet, it will work for a week then it’s back. It seems to be the cold water that has the worse of the smell. Does anyone have any ideas or been through the same thing before?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Draw a pan full of water from the post where you hook up and smell. This will eliminate anything in the camper. If you have lots of rain sometimes that has an effect on the well water. Is it rotten eggs smell? This will occur when there is gas present in the well and the pump or pick up is not positioned correctly in the well. If the taste and odor filters are not working not sure what to do after that.

Brian

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It smells like egg, not sure if that is sulfur or what. The water is smelly on the well side camper is good.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have that problem at our seasonal park, especially when the wells are running low or it has been especially hot. When it happens, we make sure to empty the holding tanks daily to try to minimize the stench.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stay directly hooked up to the connection outside, don’t use the holding tank.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timsos View Post
    I stay directly hooked up to the connection outside, don’t use the holding tank.
    I was referring to the grey and black tanks.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The easiest of the answers is to add less porous filters. Standard Camco in line filter is 5 micron. So are the ones inside the trailer so you're not getting much for the inline filter other than saving your on-board one. Replace the Camco with a new one and try replacing the on-board filter with carbon filter that is .5 micron. That should get the sulfur.

I don't think I can post outside links here but the RV Water Store website has a very concise explanation of water filters, etc.
    Last edited by JColeman; 03-30-2019 at 03:41 PM.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JColeman View Post
    The easiest of the answers is to add less porous filters. Standard Camco in line filter is 5 micron. So are the ones inside the trailer so you're not getting much for the inline filter other than saving your on-board one. Replace the Camco with a new one and try replacing the on-board filter with carbon filter that is .5 micron. That should get the sulfur.

I don't think I can post outside links here but the RV Water Store website has a very concise explanation of water filters, etc.
    Thanks for this. I will be buying new filters for this season soon, so this is helpful!!