User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Propane locks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why am I trying to reinvent? [emoji848] We do currently have a cable and padlock wrapped around the tanks along with the battery, then padlocked. We wouldn't travel like that, just security while parked.

Lol. With all the input from everyone, I now realize what we have will be just fine. It doesn't have to look pretty, but will at least send the message to those "low-lifes" that we're trying to beat them.

Thanks everyone!

Sent from LB's phone using Tapatalk
    Lynette & Steve
    2001 Ford Excursion 4WD 7.3 Turbo Diesel
    Former Owner - 2018 315RLTS Reflection TT

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never worried about the tanks being stolen, BUT...I have had somebody messing around with the tanks and the regulator on our Copper Canyon while the trailer was stored at home. The final straw was when we got to a campsite and I went to turn on the tanks and smelled propane. The regulator was loose and the only way that happened was for somebody to loosen it; vibration doesn't do that. I put a new regulator on and installed cameras aimed at the trailer. I also had the feeling somebody was letting air out of my *new* tires. So far, nothing has been happening to the Reflection, but I am very wary. Locking the propane doors while stored at home is very appealing.

Eric
    Happy campers! / Lorna & Eric and our little furball, Finnan, Canandaigua, NY
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 6.6L Duramax Turbo Diesel, Allison 6 speed transmission, 5th wheel setup, Pullrite SuperGlide 20k
    2018 Reflection 303RLS Built 3/2018, Dual AC's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really miss the days when we could go on vacation and never lock our house... or never worry about our RV stuff getting ripped off. When we went on vacation when I was a kid we'd leave the house unlocked in case one of the neighbors needed something...lol Seriously
    Neil and Sheila
    2018 Reflection 303RLS - 2nd A/C
    2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Double Cab, Short Box

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walaby View Post
    I've never heard of anyone having propane tanks stolen.

Does it happen alot?

Mike
    Last year my Open Rang 331FLR had all three 20lb and six 1lb tanks stolen. Plus my beer in the cooler. They didn’t get the cooler as it is a metal one chained to the steps. Since then I’ve chained the propane tanks to my 5er and bring in the beer. I will continue to do this with my new Momentum. I can take a lot of things but steeling my booze is another level of low- life’s; I have a Personal scale and this is near the top. At the time I was also running with two Honda eu2000’s in the bed of my truck that I made it difficult for the passerby to steal. I’ll see if I can find those photos and post them as it was simple yet effective.
    2018 F-350 6.7L diesel SRW CCSB Lariat with OEM rolling tonneau
    Pullrite Superglide OE Series #2914, Titan 55Gal Tank(midship)
    2018 Momentum 354 M-Class no mods yet.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were in a campground where a truck with two men went through at night. They grabbed any propane tanks they could get to, and the back was full when they were caught. They had been doing it for a long time. Our compartment doors were locked and they didn't get ours. Good chains can help when you are in a campground. Use some heavy ones that they will need to make noise moving. Use a good lock too, something like https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They can't cut them with bolt cutters easily.

Make yours the hardest target. They want the easy ones.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Propane locks

Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    When we had our fire, the first thing the FD did was grab the tanks and toss them away from the rig. Locks would have certainly slowed them down. Maybe keep them unlocked while on the road.

Jim
    Good idea Jim!
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 03-31-2019 at 10:11 PM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    When we had our fire, the first thing the FD did was grab the tanks and toss them away from the rig. Locks would have certainly slowed them down. Maybe keep them unlocked while on the road.

Jim
    Very good point Jim. Have them unlocked while traveling just in case. We all want to protect our rigs from the low life scum suckers that will steel anything that isn't secured. I would seriously think about it if my rig was in a storage lot between trips. Ours is either beside or behind our house with a nice bright dusk-till-dawn light shinning on it. Never lost a BBQ grill tank. But what about campgrounds - well if we were going to be away from the rig in a camp ground for an extended period, then maybe. I would just put a padlock on the LP tank strap clasp.

Similar, with our external 50a power monitor at the pole. If we are planning to be away from the rig for an extended period while in a campground, I have one of those boxes to enclose and lock the connection, then wrap a big cable & lock around and through the loops of the cable connectors and the power pole tight enough they can't walk away with the cable or the power monitor. Copper cables are another thing scum suckers would like to steel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1955.jpg  
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Very good point Jim. Have them unlocked while traveling just in case. We all want to protect our rigs from the low life scum suckers that will steel anything that isn't secured. I would seriously think about it if my rig was in a storage lot between trips. Ours is either beside or behind our house with a nice bright dusk-till-dawn light shinning on it. Never lost a BBQ grill tank. But what about campgrounds - well if we were going to be away from the rig in a camp ground for an extended period, then maybe. I would just put a padlock on the LP tank strap clasp.

Similar, with our external 50a power monitor at the pole. If we are planning to be away from the rig for an extended period while in a campground, I have one of those boxes to enclose and lock the connection, then wrap a big cable & lock around and through the loops of the cable connectors and the power pole tight enough they can't walk away with the cable or the power monitor. Copper cables are another thing scum suckers would like to steel.
    Looking at the strap clasps, ( which my Momentum also has ) I’m wondering if I could attach a car alarm that would sound if that connection was broken.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Possible, but if it was me, just thinking out loud, I would use one side of the tank strap as the ground path from a relay circuit. I wouldn't want 12VDC running through the strap. Then you would have to cut the strap into two pieces and isolate one side of the strap from RV chassis ground, or isolate it from the other half of the strap to hook the relay ground wire to. The other side of the strap (say the clasp side) would be the relay circuit ground path only when the clasp was hooked and closed.

Better yet, maybe there is a pad of some sort the the tank could set on, lift the tank, a switch is made and an alarm would sound. Just thinking out loud. Something like that
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Possible, but if it was me, just thinking out loud, I would use one side of the tank strap as the ground path from a relay circuit. I wouldn't want 12VDC running through the strap. Then you would have to cut the strap into two pieces and isolate one side of the strap from RV chassis ground, or isolate it from the other half of the strap to hook the relay ground wire to. The other side of the strap (say the clasp side) would be the relay circuit ground path only when the clasp was hooked and closed.
    Exactly

Better yet, maybe there is a pad of some sort the the tank could set on, lift the tank, a switch is made and an alarm would sound. Just thinking out loud. Something like that
    Exactly.....perhaps the pressure switch is better. I’m going to run with this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast