User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Magic” water pressure after city water supply removed

Last night’s low temperature in NE Oklahoma required that I remove and stow the city water line. I did not depressurize the trailer’s water system, just disconnected the city water hose.

I get that all the water outlets might run briefly with residual pressure in the system, and that the kitchen faucet might run for a while since water is in the more-elevated lines in the bathroom.

However I was surprised at how long modest pressure, enough to push out a steady stream of water, lasted. We got several flushes of the toilet with rinse water, maybe 60-90 seconds of water flowing from the bathroom tap, and the kitchen tap probably gave us water flow for 2 minutes or so. Most use was cold water.

I have no pressure buffer tank like @Cate&Rob, and wonder why water flowed for so long from our fixtures. Something to do with the water heater maybe?
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mark @boyscout . . . that is really curious. Even with the accumulator tank, we get a couple of toilet flushes and a couple of quick hand washes. Nothing like the volume at pressure that you describe. The water heater is the only volume that could somehow contain enough compressed air (like an accumulator tank) to provide this pressure. Before I installed the accumulator tank, I would get a few seconds of water pressure with city line disconnected and pump off. I always figured that this was due to the expansion/contraction of the soft hose.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably the flexible soft hose used down below instead of pex.

Brian