User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TENN22 View Post
    Rob,
    If I understand this thread correctly, with EoH brakes installed my truck is no longer able to charge the battery in my FW? Is this a result of wiring incorrectly?Or, is there a way for the truck to continue to charge the battery and have EoH brakes?
    FWIW: Performance is installing EoH brakes for me in May. If there is something I need to be aware of or ask specifically I appreciate any input.

Thanks
    Brady
    Hi Brady,

The original higher gauge wire connection between the umbilical cord and the trailer battery should be left in place. The violet wire from the EoH actuator does not have the current capacity to charge a "house" battery in an RV. It is designed to maintain an emergency trailer battery that would only be used in a break-away trailer braking scenario.

Have a read through my attachment linked to post 5 of this thread and this might make more sense. In that document, I convert the colours of the various wires to the usual GDRV wire colours. The larger gauge blue&white wire to the trailer battery should remain to adequately charge the trailer battery when towing.

I would expect that Performance understands this . . . but, I don't know that for sure.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got back in from another experiment, where my wife helped me out by sitting in the tow vehicle, door closed, foot on brake, in drive, with the umbilical attached to the FW. I took some multimeter readings at the umbilical receptacle at the bumper. At least in my 2017 Chevy, the 12V charge line has no voltage without the umbilical attached. With the umbilical attached, there was about 13.5V, and about 0.3 amps. So, the charge line is working, but with the trailer battery at about the same voltage, there is no demand to charge the FW battery. In the truck, my wife actuated the trailer brakes manually. There is about a 10V reading at the brake prong in the receptacle. As before though, the trailer brakes only worked through the trailer battery. I know this because there were no brakes when I disconnect the FW battery. Absent a General Motors engineer, I don't know if when in motion, and the trailer brakes are actuated through the automatic versus manual feature of the brake controller, *hopefully* the truck powers the trailer brakes and the FW battery supplements them as needed.
    Brady, as far as what to ask, Rob from Cate&Rob has the best discussion of his wiring in the thread mentioned previously. I don't know what possessed me to check the brakes without the FW batteries connected....your Ford may act differently.
    RobM
    2017 Chevy Silverado 3500 L5P, Transfer Flow 35 Gal Aux Fuel Tank, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau Cover
    2018 Solitude 310-GKR, Curt Q-20 puck system hitch, TST TPMS 507, Titan discs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12