User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atwood furnace won't start after changing propane tank

Hello out there. Has anyone come across this issue. I don't leave both propane tanks open, only one at a time. This is my way of knowing that one of my tanks is empty. We bought our 2016 313rlts new. I have used this procedure in all of our trailers. One tank would run out of propane, I would go out and switch tanks manually. A bit chilly in the middle of the night but I always know that one of my tanks is full. I don't like the auto switch over because I have no idea when the regulator switched to the other tank.
    Anyway back to the issue. I manually switch over the tank to a known full tank, cycle the thermistat and it used to start again. Now it will not start until I pull the 15 amp fuse and reinstall then the furnace works properly. Obviously, I am reseting something but not sure what????? I reviewed the atwood manual. It doesn't have any discussion about running out of propane if I need to do something special . Some guidence would be appreciated.
    Dan and Kathy
    2022 Solitude 390RK
    2022 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD Duramax
    USMC Semper Fi

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dan,

I can't answer your question on what you are resetting on the furnace by pulling the fuse after it runs out of propane. I can suggest a way to keep an eye on propane level. This level checker works really well https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/pro...hecker-_-30723 (Thanks @TucsonJim for this tip) I keep my second tank closed until using the check tool tells me that the first tank is getting low. Then I open the second tank and look for the changeover valve to go red a while later. A seamless process that avoids running around with a flashlight in the middle of the night trying to get the furnace going again (ask me how I know this )

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually light the stove after a change over to get the gas flowing in the system/lines. It is a visual check that your new tank has gas and that the gas is flowing through the lines.
    2019 GMC 2500 HD Denali
    2021 Reflection 337RLS / EMS HW50C
    Reece 20K Goosebox
    Solid Step

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canald View Post
    Hello out there. Has anyone come across this issue. I don't leave both propane tanks open, only one at a time. This is my way of knowing that one of my tanks is empty. We bought our 2016 313rlts new. I have used this procedure in all of our trailers. One tank would run out of propane, I would go out and switch tanks manually. A bit chilly in the middle of the night but I always know that one of my tanks is full. I don't like the auto switch over because I have no idea when the regulator switched to the other tank.
    Anyway back to the issue. I manually switch over the tank to a known full tank, cycle the thermistat and it used to start again. Now it will not start until I pull the 15 amp fuse and reinstall then the furnace works properly. Obviously, I am reseting something but not sure what????? I reviewed the atwood manual. It doesn't have any discussion about running out of propane if I need to do something special . Some guidence would be appreciated.
    Dan you don't have to pull the fuse. I am full time and travel all over the country (will be in Buena Vista, Colo most of this summer) so I'm in a large variant of temps and weather. I also open only one tank at a time for the same reason as you (so I know exactly how much propane I have) and from time to time run in to the same problem that you describe. Just turne the furnace off on your t-stat, then turn the t-stat off for thirty seconds or so.....turn the t-stat back on and then turn the furnace back on. When using the furnace side of your t-stat make sure the fan speed is set on "Auto" or the furnace will keep turning back off.

You're resetting or reprograming your t-stat (same as removing the fuse and then putting it back in).
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Dan,

I can't answer your question on what you are resetting on the furnace by pulling the fuse after it runs out of propane. I can suggest a way to keep an eye on propane level. This level checker works really well https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/pro...hecker-_-30723 (Thanks @TucsonJim for this tip) I keep my second tank closed until using the check tool tells me that the first tank is getting low. Then I open the second tank and look for the changeover valve to go red a while later. A seamless process that avoids running around with a flashlight in the middle of the night trying to get the furnace going again (ask me how I know this )

Rob
    Rob, Thanks for the tip. I just ordered one.

Dan
    Dan and Kathy
    2022 Solitude 390RK
    USMC Semper Fi

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all of you that responded.
    I feel very stupid, this morning I went out with a fresh mind,
    Guess want I found, both tanks were empty.
    The left tank was the main and the right was turned off.
    I just assumed (you know what that means) that the right tank was full, it was not.
    I filled both tanks and voila the furnace came on.
    I guess during our three week trip, I had switched the tanks manually and forgot about it.
    Its a Bi&^% getting older. You noticed I didn't say old. HAHAHA.
    Thanks again for the wonderful tips. I hope others can learn from others screw ups.
    Dan and Kathy
    2022 Solitude 390RK
    USMC Semper Fi

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coheeba,

Thanks for your service. Even if it was in the Navy.
    I used to use the cooktop to see if there is propane. But I found out that the stove may still lite with lower propane pressure (hence empty)
    where the lower pressure will not support the furnace or water heater.
    Dan USMC
    Dan and Kathy
    2022 Solitude 390RK
    USMC Semper Fi

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JCZhome.

Thanks for the reply. Obviously, I really didn't need to pull the fuse.
    Just a stupid mistake.
    Dan
    Dan and Kathy
    2022 Solitude 390RK
    USMC Semper Fi

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canald View Post
    Coheeba,

Thanks for your service. Even if it was in the Navy.
    I used to use the cooktop to see if there is propane. But I found out that the stove may still lite with lower propane pressure (hence empty)
    where the lower pressure will not support the furnace or water heater.
    Dan USMC
    No problem Dan by the way the Marine Corps is part of the Department of the Navy, just saying; Semper Fi
    2019 GMC 2500 HD Denali
    2021 Reflection 337RLS / EMS HW50C
    Reece 20K Goosebox
    Solid Step

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coheeba View Post
    No problem Dan by the way the Marine Corps is part of the Department of the Navy, just saying; Semper Fi
    Somebody always needs to prop them up! Jusayinzall! The Corps.....first in, last out!

Semper Fi
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast