User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will this hurt anything?

I'm in a storage yard working on my 337. No shore power. I do have 2 2000 watt generators but no parallel kit (it's on order.)
    So here is my question. Can I connect one generator to the rig for a little power in the rig AND connect the second generator directly to a battery charger, charging the batteries? Will this do what I think it will and will it harm anything?
    Brand new to RVing and always have been electrically challenged.
    Thanks.
    Pete & Joyce
    2019 Reflection 337 RLS
    2019 F-350 6.7 Diesel Srw 4x4 CC Short Bed
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plugging into one generator and using power for the rig will also energize your converter charger unless you go to the power panel and turn the converter breaker off. If you turn the converter breaker off then use other generator to charge the battery then that would be fine. I think if you do not turn off converter power and feed too much power to the battery you could harm it.

You will need to have the converter on to have lights in the camper while you are in there.

So I would only use the one generator to power the rig and this will charge your battery as well, might be a little slow.

You could also disconnect the wires on the battery and use second gen to charge it, just make sure wires are not touching anything because they will have power when converter is on.

Brian

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brian,
    Thanks for your response. I actually understood what you said. I'm going for charging the batteries for now. I don't think they were fully charged from the dealer and opening and closing a couple slides seems to be a pretty big drain. Thanks again for your help.

Pete
    Pete & Joyce
    2019 Reflection 337 RLS
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pete

Using the slides will cause a big drain on the battery. I try not to use ours too much when not plugged into shore power. I think using the slides on the battery only is hard on the slide motors as well but have no evidence of that but hope it will save the motors and add life to them.
    Glad I could help.

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As said above, I always try to have shore power on before using the slides. They just seem to work better.
    2019 Reflection 315RLTS
    2019 Ford F250 Lariat SuperCab PSD SRW

Former set up:
    2013 Kodiak 291RESL
    2017 Ford F150 Platinum

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't have shore power available yet but have new rig prep stuff to do. I'll wait til I can connect to my two 2000 watt generators. I assume that's the equivalent of shore power for slide use purposes.

So if no shore power and no generator, is plugged into TV, with TV engine running, a step up from batteries only?

Pete
    Pete & Joyce
    2019 Reflection 337 RLS
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only run my slides if connected to shore power or have the Generator running (In your case the parallel option).

To answer your question about tow Vehicle power - I would view it as the same as having battery only, although you have the ability to continuously charge the battery while connected to vehicle and it is running, you are not getting any additional amps or power. It would be a toss up as to how much your battery drained (if using slides) while vehicle is powering the charger.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greybeard46 View Post
    Don't have shore power available yet but have new rig prep stuff to do. I'll wait til I can connect to my two 2000 watt generators. I assume that's the equivalent of shore power for slide use purposes.

So if no shore power and no generator, is plugged into TV, with TV engine running, a step up from batteries only?

Pete
    You need to test your 7 wire connection to be sure power is being provided to the trailer from the truck. On my truck I had to install a fuse and connect a wire before power was run through to the trailer.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dallas,
    As I said above, I've always been pretty much electrically challenged. How would I test for power? Or is that a question the truck dealer could easily answer?
    Pete
    Pete & Joyce
    2019 Reflection 337 RLS
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greybeard46 View Post
    Dallas,
    As I said above, I've always been pretty much electrically challenged. How would I test for power? Or is that a question the truck dealer could easily answer?
    Pete
    A 7-pin tester might be a quick test for 12V power on to the truck's 7-pin connector.
    ONLINE LED STORE 7-Way Blade Trailer Wiring Tester [Nickel-Plated Copper Terminals] [Continuity Test] [Rugged Material] 7-Pin Trailer Light Wire Circuit Tester
    CURT 58270 Vehicle Socket Tester RV Blade 7-Way Towing Wiring Tester 7-Pin Trailer Wiring
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast