Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Line output converter for stock radio

Has anyone tried using a line output converter on their stock stereo so they can add an amp for a little more power into speakers? I have posted about replacing the factory Jensen stereo partially because of the weak output. I am looking at something like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gosh - I don't think I've ever heard of a radio with a weak output as long as the radio was working correctly. Assuming you selected all the right zones and adjusted the sound level, maybe the radio is bad.

Anyway - the device you are looking at is a line equalizer. You'd use it to match the line levels between the radio output or input to another device (like an amp). Maybe a better way of saying this is that if you were to connect an old style phonograph turntable to a new radio or amp you'd fine a line level (impedance mismatch). The device you are looking at is for that purpose.

If you want to buy an amp and connect it's speaker outputs to you existing speakers you should not need a line level device as long as there is an amplifier output on your existing radio as both are new and very likely to have the same "matching" level.

I hope this help and doesn't confuse the situation more.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, you could go with something like this: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/kenwood...?skuId=3935019

You would use the speaker leads outta the radio and connect them to the speaker level inputs to the amp. Personally I wouldn't use the product you posted since they can induce noise/hum. However - I've not used that exact product so YMMV. I only suggested the Kenwood since I am familiar with it and installed one on my pontoon boat during restoration. Awesome little amp and it'll wake up your speakers. But, you could use any multi-channel amp that has speaker level inputs.

As to the question of why adding/using an external amp, the answer can be a bit geekish complicated. But the simple answer is that the component was designed to amplify a signal as cleanly as possible (given cost restraints) and over a larger frequency range. I'm tempted to go further, but am hesitant I'll bore the bejeesus outta folks. I'll just finish by saying that typically the internal amps in most "radios" do not output a very clean signal. And due to their limited bandwidth and other design factors, they tend to not be able to generate powerful (for lack of a better term) low frequency signals which always is the weak point in most amps until you get into higher end units. Needless to say, the first thing most folks notice when an external amp is used is that their speakers have a more robust sound and better bass response. The reason for that is a bunch of gobble-dee-gook techno speak.

Tom
    Tom & Donna
    Our RV: 2016 Reflection 337RLS 5th wheel
    Our Tow Beast: 2017 Ram 3500 Limited Dually
    Our Dogs: Sadie & Bugsey
    Favorite Drink: Moonshine
    Nationality: Redneck
    My Motto: May the bridges we burn light the way

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]