User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2019 F-350 Bed Rail Height??

I tow a 2019 303RLS Reflection (5th wheel) with a 2002 F-350 , crew cab, 4x4, short bed, 7.3 L it is in pristine condition both mechanically and appearance. I have been looking at the new F-350 trucks of the same configuration as above and have a real concern in regards to their ‘bed rail heights’ which measure 59” from ground to top of rail (without the trailer hooked up).My current truck measures 56” to the top of rails unloaded and when I connect the trailer up the whole rig is level. My concern is that the new trucks sit so high That if I were to hook up my trailer to them my trailer would be ‘nose high in the air’ and I might not be able to get 4-6” of clearance all the way around even by adjusting my kingpin and hitch. Hope this makes sense. I guess an easier way to state my concern is . . . ‘Is there anybody towing with a 2019 F-250/350 that has leveling or clearance problems with their rig?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not apples to apples because we run a PullRite Superlite hitch.....but we have no clearance issues, and we've had our at least 90 degrees with no conflicts

Cal
    Cal, Marsha and Bear the Labradoodle
    2019 F350 Platinum DRW, 6.7 PSD, 4:10, Firestone Airbags
    Pullrite Superlite
    2019 Momentum 376th
    Aprilia RST1000
    Evelo Aurora E-bikes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had about 6" of clearance and was sitting level with my Andersen hitch. To get a bit more room I swapped the spacers between the axle and frame in the truck from the 4" stock F350 spacers to the 2" F250 spacers. This allowed me to raise my ball up a hole and increase my clearance a little more. It was fairly inexpensive ($100-150 for the spacers and new Ubolts) and easy to do with a floor jack and some elbow grease.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a new 2019 Ford F350 SRW 4X4 6.7 diesel without any in bed camper or snow plow prep package and it does have the 59" bed rail height. I picked up a new reflection 303RLS last week. I had the same concerns as you and searched this forum for answers about rail heights with the new TV's. I will give you my limited observations with only picking up the camper and bringing it home and only visual observations for now until someone comes along with actual measurements and more experience then me.

I got the B&W Companion slider hitch and the height is in the middle position so 18". Many hitches can be adjusted in this range. Since I had these concerns too, I made several visual observation at the dealer and after bringing it home and the 303 appears to sit level or maybe an inch nose high so probably OK. Once I load the 303 it may squat the truck a little more so I think I will be good. It looks like I have 7" if not a little more of rail clearance. I have a BAKFLIP MX4 cover and when folded (stacked horizontal) it had about 4" of clearance which I think will be OK as it only comes into play with tight turns (backing) and when the hitch isn't slid to the rear position.
    Last edited by HighFive; 04-04-2019 at 04:10 PM.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for response. That’s exactly what I wanted to hear. Did you get 18” or 20” tires on your truck? Also is your truck a short bed? Is it a crew cab?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crew cab short bed thus the slider hitch. 18" tires. I understand the 20's will raise the bed about an inch.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! If you happen to think of it let me know how your rig sits after you get the 303 loaded. You said you got the B&W Compaion Slider that’s what I was thinking of . Or a Reese slider. Did you get the truck factory prep’d for the drop-in hitch?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did order my truck with the 5th wheel prep package. Unfortunately, it will be awhile before I can get it loaded and hitched up again.

I did a lot of research on hitches before deciding on the B&W. It is heavy but I have a utility trailer so I don't need the truck bed for hauling. I need the slider when backing into my driveway from a rather narrow subdivision road. I also plan to slide it back when checking into a campground. When in the forward towing position and the tailgate down it is rather close to the 303. When slid rearward and the tailgate down I can duck under the overhang and walk from one side to the other. I didn't want a auto slider as it would be all the way forward when the truck and trailer are straight.

Per B&W's literature with the Ford pucks and the adjustable arms bolted in the rearward position the hitch pin is 1" in front of the axle. I actually verified this today when greasing the hitch coupler and mount arm bushings that the dealer didn't do when installing the hitch. I read in Fords literature they recommend 2" in front of the axle so close enough. I think I read where some people with the Anderson hitches in a short bed set them up as much as 4 inches rearward of the axle. I have no experience with the Reese hitches but have read they can be prone to chucking.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty much identical setup to HighFive here with a 260RD. Was concerned with how level it would sit but super happy with where everything is.

2019 Reflection 150 260RD - 2018 Ford F350
    Rest of the fleet: 95 Grand Cherokee with a lot of stuff, 15 JKU Rubicon with less stuff, 98 5.9 Grand Cherokee with a little stuff

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2017 337RLS being towed originally by a
    2017 F350 CCSB 4X4 with HD front springs, 18” tires, factory 5th wheel prep.
    Traded the 17 in on a
    2019 F350 CCBS 4x4 with standard front springs, 18” tired, factory 5th wheel prep.

Only towed with an Andersen Ultimate Aluminum Hitch which I love.

Both trucks squat 3” with the trailer loaded. Both drive the same loaded but the standard springs are better ride unloaded.

The Andersen ball is in the middle height setting and I have 7” of bedrail clearance. The Reflection is about 1” nose high when measured but visually it looks level.

I run with the Andersen coupler in the “reversed position” which moves the trailer closer to the cab. I can get at least 70 degrees of turn before I start to be concerned about contacting the cab. With the tailgate down there’s only 5” or so from the tailgate to the trailer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4D0BEC62-64E7-473B-829B-D1B799A19388.jpeg   AECDD2A8-A18B-4685-9134-9FA2348E50C2.jpeg   99999E37-EFCB-408A-B22C-6C74FC08DBED.jpeg  
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast