User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BO Sway Pro with 21BHE - Bar Size

The wife and I are going to be picking up our 21BHE in the next few weeks, and need to solidify the hitch set-up, specifically the bars. Tow vehicle will be a 2018 F-150 Short bed 3.5EB max-tow, with ~1650 of available payload. Plenty of truck and payload for our small family, firewood, and tongue weight. This will be our first TT, having spent a few years in a pop-up.

Looking at the specs of the trailer it has a GVWR of 5895 lbs, or ~900lbs at max tongue weight (15%). In my readings the f-150 likes to live around 13% for tongue weight, but I want to be realistic. I know that when bikes get added to the A-frame and packed for a week out, max is not out of the question. 1,000 lb bars would just cover the trailer and head weight at this scenario, so I question going to 1,500 lbs bars. 1,200 lbs bars would be the sweet spot for me, IMO, but sadly don't exist.

Any of the more experienced members have any thoughts on the matter?

David

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cannot see needing more thatn 1000lb bars with a 21BHE. When we had our 21BHE we stopped at a Cat Scale and it looked like this with our 2015 F-150 3.5:

Steer axle: 3020
    Drive: 3600
    trailer: 5100
    total: 11720

15% would have been 750, it wasn't that high though, even loaded, maybe 650. We did not carry water.

Jim
    2019 F350 6.7L PS SRW CCSB Platinum
    2021 28BH with theater seating and 2nd AC
    2019 Imagine 2400BH w/solar (sold)
    https://rolling.howardweb.info/

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A word of caution using the Blue Ox Sway Pro with Ford F-150's.....

We have had a large amount of customers come back and complain that the BO is not stopping sway with their F-150's.

Not overly large trailers, no specific brands of trailers, but a lot of instances.

We have been upgrading everyone of them to either an Equalizer hitch or Reese Straitline with no further issues.

Ford Tech says it has something to do with the stability control that is built into the trucks. Also some of it comes from having P metric passenger tires on the trucks.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't speak for the F150, but the F250 and up you have the ability to turn off the sway control that is built into the truck. Does the F150 have that same option? If I'm not mistaken, B.O. recommends that the system be turned off when using the Sway Pro W.D. hitch
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim, great insight into real world numbers, looks like I was over thinking it. Typical. 1k bars it is.

Steve, yes have heard the same. Searching through the f150 forum, some people have no issues with the blue ox, others do. I have read that blue ox recommends turning off the sway system, that some setups conflict each other.

The Ford system is a reactionary system, vs the proactive blue ox. I'd much rather prevent sway than control it, so will disable the Ford system if needed. The Ford system appears to be extremely sensitive and start working prior to displaying on the dash, leading to confusion as to what's happening.

David

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the BO 1000lb bars and tow my 2800bh with no problems. When I load my camper I am mindful that the curb side is heavier so I try to load as much as possible on the left side of the camper. Also with the huge front storage it is tempting to "load it to the gills" this will result in a very heavy tongue. I try to balance my load "fore and aft; port and starboard" while traveling and then use the front to store while at the campsite.
    2019 GMC 2500 HD Denali
    2021 Reflection 337RLS / EMS HW50C
    Reece 20K Goosebox
    Solid Step