User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new 3500HD Duramax

Just signed the papers for a 2019 3500HD, Duramax. They have to go to another dealer to pick it up. I will get it tomorrow. That said, this is the first diesel I have purchased. This truck comes with dual alternators. 150amp and 250amp. So, not knowing much about this, why would I need dual alternators? Still learning
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS
    2016 Silverado 2500 4x4 Gasser

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats and if I may say that was the right decision going with the Chevrolet. (sorry Ford guys).
    Usually the dual alternators come with either the High Country or snow plow prep packages.

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dual alternators are a helpful feature for many vehicles, Alternators are particularly helpful for high-drain vehicle power applications where the vehicle needs to have sustained power output without the engine running, without sacrificing the vehicle's ability to turn over. Vehicle engineers can approach this from two separate design approaches. The first is to connect both alternators to a large battery bank shared among the starter, spark plugs and other vehicle systems. A shared system offers the advantage of inexpensive simplicity; however, extended use without running the motor runs a real risk of draining the batteries to the point where the engine will not turn over. The second design philosophy approach sets up two separate power systems, one for critical systems and another for secondary optional devices. A dual independent power system approach prevents the vehicle from getting stuck due to draining too much power from the batteries but adds significant expense. The dual power system design works well with vehicles like RVs or police surveillance vehicles. I’m assuming yours is the latter.
    2018 F-350 6.7L diesel SRW CCSB Lariat with OEM rolling tonneau
    Pullrite Superglide OE Series #2914, Titan 55Gal Tank(midship)
    2018 Momentum 354 M-Class no mods yet.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi: You’ll enjoy the performance of the Duramax when towing. You made a smart choice getting a 3500HD. That way if you want to go bigger in an rv you may be glad you have the 3500. Excellent choice getting the GM truck. To be fair, all the truck brands are worth having. Enjoy
    2018 Reflection 337RL / 2022 GMC Denali 3500HD CC LB Diesel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick1234 View Post
    Just signed the papers for a 2019 3500HD, Duramax. They have to go to another dealer to pick it up. I will get it tomorrow. That said, this is the first diesel I have purchased. This truck comes with dual alternators. 150amp and 250amp. So, not knowing much about this, why would I need dual alternators? Still learning
    You most likely will not ever need it. The std. alt is the 150 with two options available in the High Country and most other 2500/3500 GM models. You can get a the optional 220 in place of the 150 or get the 150 and 220 dual alts. option.

The higher electric draw of the snowplow pkg (plow movement, extra lights, etc.) is an example where the 220 amp alt. is part of the package. Adding more electric draw items or different all together will necessitate the need for more charging capability. Things like after market lights, higher output electronics/amplifiers, compressors, and on and on need more juice thus greater alt output. Add in more than the normal draw from the RV/other trailers for RV house battery charging one can see where you may need more than the std. alt.

Lastly, an alt. at idle or low speeds will put out much less in amps. than the rated (150/220/etc.) amps which is measured at normal highway speeds as I recall. Thus if at idle for extended periods and drawing power for more than the normal truck electric needs, battrie(s) will run down below the needs.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RVLife68 View Post
    Dual alternators are a helpful feature for many vehicles, Alternators are particularly helpful for high-drain vehicle power applications where the vehicle needs to have sustained power output without the engine running... without sacrificing the vehicle's ability to turn over. Vehicle engineers can approach this from two separate design approaches. The first is to connect both alternators to a large battery bank shared
    Help me understand how the alternators supply power without the engine running? No engine RPMs, no alternator RPMs...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Help me understand how the alternators supply power without the engine running? No engine RPMs, no alternator RPMs...

Rob
    Looks like RVLife68 did some copy and pasting from this link........it is confusing:

https://itstillruns.com/advantages-d...s-7555016.html

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post

Rob
    Well I was not trying to imply that it does. Alternators charge batteries. I’m sure you already knew that though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toes in the water View Post
    Looks like RVLife68 did some copy and pasting from this link........it is confusing:

https://itstillruns.com/advantages-d...s-7555016.html

Dan

Correct. Was trying to explain in simple terms. I suppose I could have just said it’s for charging batteries and running upfitter items.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on your new truck. We got a used 2015 2500 Duramax last July and *WOW*, what a difference from towing with our 2006 GMC gasser!
    Happy campers! / Lorna & Eric and our little furball, Finnan, Canandaigua, NY
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 6.6L Duramax Turbo Diesel, Allison 6 speed transmission, 5th wheel setup, Pullrite SuperGlide 20k
    2018 Reflection 303RLS Built 3/2018, Dual AC's