Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Chevy to Ram

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chevy to Ram

I’m sure this will be interesting!!
    I’ve been a Chevy guy since 1997. Currently driving a 2015 3500 SRW Duramax LTZ Z71 short bed.
    I’m starting to think about a new truck considering up grading to a 3500 DRW. I’ve loved my Duramax’s but think I might want something different. Been reading up on the new 2019 Ram 3500 Limited. Seems like a real nice truck. I know Cummings is a great engine but so is my Duramax/Allison combo.
    Anyone switch from a Chevy/GMC to a Ram?
    Any thoughts or fees back from real world users would be great.
    Thanks
    Don
    Don & Gayle
    3 fur babies
    2016 solitude 375re
    2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW crew cab short bed LTZ Z71 Duramax
    Rear timbren suspension blocks
    PullRite super glide 24k auto-slide
    Morryde rubber pin box
    Sailun G637

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I switched from a 2003 Duramax to a 2013 Cummins Ram. Long story short I was left stranded on the side of the road by a blown engine (at 82000 miles) so wasn’t buying a new Chevy. Ford was nice but expensive as I hadn’t planned on buying a new truck. Bought a Ram 3500 crew cab long bed Bighorn edition. Overall I have been happy with it. My model year was the first year with def fluid and there was some associated recalls and some performance related issues. They all seem to be worked out now. I have what I consider a large number of recallls (around 10) but they have been prompt to fix them. The biggest difference you will notice with the Cummins being an in-line 6 the “get up and go” isn’t there like the duramax. It’s more of a freight train power. It’s not slow but just doesn’t throw your head back. It pulls like crazy. On my short trip so far with the my 303 trailer I’m getting aboutt 10 mpg towing. Hiway unloaded I can push 22 pretty easy (and that’s backed up with over 10,000 miles of straight hiway). Overall I would buy one again and in fact have looked online at the 2019’s and they look nice!
    Last edited by Justa5th; 05-05-2019 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Clarification
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah my 03 Duramax was not one of my better ones either. Leaking injectors is why I moved on from that truck.
    Great info... thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a dilemma for sure. I am new truck shopping also, and, I have been a Chevy guy my whole life. The 2020's have got better numbers. The Cummins is proven. I think Dodge has done a good job of bringing their body and accessories quality up to meet the other two, plus they are less expensive. I am still leaning toward the F450, primarily because of the overall capacity numbers.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750