User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    Makes me wonder if the colors the factory uses, Red for (+) on the batteries, then Black for (+), White for (-) in the rest of the RV also confuse the dealers and users.
    Maybe why wires get reversed on converters and inverters and pop the fuses or fry the inverters.
    A confusion that happens whenever 120VAC and 12VDC occupy the same space. In the former, black is the “hot” wire. In the latter, black is the ground. It is only the RV industry (that I know of) that applies 120VAC colour logic (yes Tom this is the “right” way to spell it ) of white being neutral, to 12VDC ground . Another fine example of RVIA logic. Definitely has to be the cause of many RV wiring screw-ups.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENESIS View Post
    I'm just so full of sh......uh....er.....questions today.

Breakers and buss bar.....that's a novel approach. I'm assuming the breaker rating is stamped on the body some where.

So if I installed a new battery disconnect switch like a Perko or Blue Sea Systems, the +ive (red wire) is connected to the Input lug and the -ve (black wire) would be connected to the Output lug?

Oh....and you misspelled color. LOL....

Tom
    Here are a couple of pictures of the "auto reset breakers" in our Solitude. These are all +12v connection and use a variety of wire colors. You can see the breaker size (15 amps) on the body in the second picture. As mentioned, Grand Design uses both red and black for +12v (hot) and 12v switched, and off the battery negative (-) terminal they use 6 gauge black to ground. Most lighter gauge wires ground is white. However, the wiring is so inconsistent, I would check every wire with either a voltmeter or physically tracking it to a known point.

These are normally behind a thin black plastic cover.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9181.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	19069 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9182.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	19068

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom,
    Just a guess what your wiring might be, as your picture looks different than how my rig is wired.
    Yes the self resetting CBs are labeled on the side of them with their rating.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RV OEM Wiring-2.pdf  
    Last edited by gbkims; 04-06-2019 at 07:11 PM.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a note not all the breakers are 15 amp. If you are looking to have spares would be better to make sure of size.

Brian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12