Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Andersen torqure values

I purchased the Andersen hitch and following the torque requirements of 60ftlb for the top bolt. I have a fairly new Sears torque wrench. That said, I set the wrench to 60ftlbs. It seems like I really have to tighten the bolt for the wrench to click at 60ftlbs. My friend is going to bring his torque wrench and we will compare. I just don't want to strip the threads.
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS
    2016 Silverado 2500 4x4 Gasser

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long is your torque wrench? Longer it is the easier it is to torque bolts down.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    60 lbs. is not that much. Try setting it to 100 lbs. and check the torque on you trailer wheels.

Brian

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My AUH is 50 top 40 everywhere else. I find getting the allens to 40 difficult - feels like the heads will round out. Did have one of the allens split but Andersen sent me a complete new set.
    Current;
    2017 Reflection 337LRS 5th with 2016 Silverado LTX 3500HD Duramax
    2019 Reflection 367BHS 5th permanent in RV park

Past;
    30' TH TT Weekend Warrior, 36' TH 5th Weekend Warrior (both with Ford F250 diesel)
    26' TT Shadow Cruiser, 30' TT Cougar (both with Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yattr0 View Post
    My AUH is 50 top 40 everywhere else. I find getting the allens to 40 difficult - feels like the heads will round out. Did have one of the allens split but Andersen sent me a complete new set.
    May want to check with Andersen. They changed the recommendation but don’t know if it applies to older hitches.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We checked the torque with my buddies wrench (same one I have). The torque matched my wrench. So, all is good. The installation instructions state to torque the top bolt to 60 ftlbs and the two front bolts to 40 ftlbs
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS

Site Sponsor Gold Country Livin''s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick1234 View Post
    We checked the torque with my buddies wrench (same one I have). The torque matched my wrench. So, all is good. The installation instructions state to torque the top bolt to 60 ftlbs and the two front bolts to 40 ftlbs
    Nick,
    That is right. My truck has the factory spray in bed liner and when getting close to 60#, the bed sort of squeaks as does the bolt you are tightening. It's normal so don't be afraid of over tightening it. Do not make the mistake of being too loose. Manual says to double check the 60# after trailer has loaded the pin weight. The front bolts of 40# should be done after the top bolt. Those 2 will gouge the inner wall some, so I would not over tighten them. The allen bolts on the red adapter is a different topic. I once did torque them down per specs and it felt like it was going to rip the heads off (like previous poster said). I backed them off and made them snug but always check them during normal maintenance checks regularly. I believe they are 1/4", so I bought a long hex with socket end. I think I ended up around 20# torque +- ?? There has been several posts about getting those out when broke off from over tightening.

Hope that helps.
    Jim
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS #13156 3/2017
    B & W turnover ball with Andersen Ultimate
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have run with this torque setting for a couple of years without issues. The only items that need constant attention are the allens...
    Current;
    2017 Reflection 337LRS 5th with 2016 Silverado LTX 3500HD Duramax
    2019 Reflection 367BHS 5th permanent in RV park

Past;
    30' TH TT Weekend Warrior, 36' TH 5th Weekend Warrior (both with Ford F250 diesel)
    26' TT Shadow Cruiser, 30' TT Cougar (both with Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold Country Livin' View Post
    Nick,
    That is right. My truck has the factory spray in bed liner and when getting close to 60#, the bed sort of squeaks as does the bolt you are tightening. It's normal so don't be afraid of over tightening it. Do not make the mistake of being too loose. Manual says to double check the 60# after trailer has loaded the pin weight. The front bolts of 40# should be done after the top bolt. Those 2 will gouge the inner wall some, so I would not over tighten them. The allen bolts on the red adapter is a different topic. I once did torque them down per specs and it felt like it was going to rip the heads off (like previous poster said). I backed them off and made them snug but always check them during normal maintenance checks regularly. I believe they are 1/4", so I bought a long hex with socket end. I think I ended up around 20# torque +- ?? There has been several posts about getting those out when broke off from over tightening.

Hope that helps.
    Jim
    Jim. Thanks for the detailed response. I actually torqued the Allen screws to the required 40# torque. I didn’t feel that they would snap off, but, maybe I got lucky. I am going to call Andersen Hitches tomorrow. I have a few questions to ask. One question will be concerning these Allen screws and torque. I did read where the torque (60 ftlbs) on the top bolt should be checked after the trailer is connected, but, do I leave the torque (40 ftlbs) on the front bolts while verifying the top bolt?
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick1234 View Post
    Jim. Thanks for the detailed response. I actually torqued the Allen screws to the required 40# torque. I didn’t feel that they would snap off, but, maybe I got lucky. I am going to call Andersen Hitches tomorrow. I have a few questions to ask. One question will be concerning these Allen screws and torque. I did read where the torque (60 ftlbs) on the top bolt should be checked after the trailer is connected, but, do I leave the torque (40 ftlbs) on the front bolts while verifying the top bolt?
    You loosen the front bolts before you torque the top bolt. After final top bolt is torqued then tighten the front bolts.

My Andersen is installed on top of my Bedrug. I was very surprised how much additional turn the top bolt took when re-setting the top bolt torque after the trailer was connected.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 35768BD5-1B8B-40AA-8894-4DDA79E01D97.jpeg  
    Last edited by Jerryr; 04-07-2019 at 10:05 AM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast