User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2hams View Post
    Although we are diesel, we usually use the flying J Rv lanes, which are gas or diesel. The last time we checked, we got 8 cents off per gallon using Good Sam card.

Otherwise, I use iExit and satellite map view.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Just had to throw my hat in the ring on this one as well. I typically seek out Pilot and Flying J for convenience and I use the Good Sam card for the discount. The ones I have found to watch out for, are the converted Pilots, maybe a standard gas station in the past and it is now a Pilot with no room for maneuvering. Before I switched to a diesel, my gasser and I had a heck of a time in the Hardeeville SC Pilot. Maybe this thread could evolve into a new thread of "Big Rig Friendly" Gas or Diesel stations that we use frequently?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well what we found this past trip (2200 miles), and our longest in our RV, is that it is impossible on Google Maps to see which ones will and won't have space for larger trucks/vehicles. We learned the hard way as well. Watch out for the tail swing RV is in repairs until unknown date.
    Our Setup
    2018.5 Solitude 310-GK
    2012 Ford F-450

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a great rant as we can see from all the responses. And yes, there seems to be a shortage of common sense and courtesy these days. We were just discussing tonight about our up coming trip and fueling up with diesel for the first time. Should be interesting!
    Pino and sherry
    2019 GD 303 RLS
    2018 GMC 2500 Duramax
    Anderson hitch
    Champion 3400 dual fuel generator
    “Out ‘n About, Eh”

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasn't pulling my camper, but had my 24' gooseneck behind me in Grand Junction/Fruita a few years back. Went to the Love's, they were out of diesel. I had 90-100 more miles to Moab and couldn't make it with what I had in the tank and Fruita has been my stopping point on that trip for 15+ years. Love's has the big rig lanes and usually enough room in the regular lanes for me to get through, but no dice that day. I could drive back to the Western in Junction, but decided to try another station in Fruita with no big rig lanes and no ability to pull through at all on the diesel lanes. The diesel lanes were furthest from the building, but at a 45* angle to everything else, and there was landscaping on the other side. So I know it was a pull in and back out situation. There were some empty regular parking spots behind me that I was planning on using to back out. So I pull in, and as I'm fueling up an individual parks his van RIGHT BEHIND MY TRAILER and proceeds to walk in side. I ask him to please move his van so I can back out and the dude just keeps on walking . . . . So to swing my trailer enough to miss him I come within an inch or two of the pump island and then to not run the trailer through the front door of the station I have to swing it back the other way and run the truck through the rocks in the landscaping a bit. That was fun.
    Last edited by howson; 04-09-2019 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Changed geographic-specific term (some, like me, didn't understand). Discussed w/member by PM.
    2019 Reflection 150 260RD - 2018 Ford F350
    Rest of the fleet: 95 Grand Cherokee with a lot of stuff, 15 JKU Rubicon with less stuff, 98 5.9 Grand Cherokee with a little stuff

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On to the third try: This Pilot has one pump accessible with a trailer . . . the guy at the pump (with a Reflection no less) is just finishing, so I wait (with the tail of the trailer blocking access for everybody). He then gets his dog out of the trailer, leaves the rig at the pump and takes the dog for a walk. (There are signs at every pump directing customers to pull forward after fueling.)

We have had this happen to us as well. Some people just do not care, are ignorant or both.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    Secondly, I guess I'm in the minority but I avoid those places (Flying J, Pilot, etc.) like the plaque. I think they are generally way over pricing their fuel, way too busy and so many idiots! I'm so glad I have no fear when it comes to fueling stations. I'll go anywhere. In all my travels there "may" be 1 station I chickened out on.

I am jealous of your confidence!! Major chicken here; I usually stop at TA or Flying J. I am diesel, so I use the truck lanes. I have had to deal with not being able to pay at the pump and being forced to leave my credit card, them go back. When you are as big a chicken as I am, that is a small price to pay. I do really like the big truck gas lanes; the large nozzles are quite nice too.

I have the same struggle when stopping to eat. I typically look for something in a large shopping center with a hug parking lot. I haven't been forced to do it yet, but if I was in a pinch, I'd definitely unhitch in a parking lot and go get gas.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keebler View Post

I am jealous of your confidence!! Major chicken here; I usually stop at TA or Flying J. I am diesel, so I use the truck lanes. I have had to deal with not being able to pay at the pump and being forced to leave my credit card, them go back. When you are as big a chicken as I am, that is a small price to pay. I do really like the big truck gas lanes; the large nozzles are quite nice too.

I have the same struggle when stopping to eat. I typically look for something in a large shopping center with a hug parking lot. I haven't been forced to do it yet, but if I was in a pinch, I'd definitely unhitch in a parking lot and go get gas.

When I had my travel trailer it was just too much of a pain to unhitch and go get fuel. I am curious now with my new 5'r if the ease of unhooking will allow me to consider this? Does anyone else unhook/hook for fuel stops?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've meet a few inconsiderate people in my travels also. Thankfully this is very rare. Most of the time people are very good at moving out of the way when they see me with our 5th wheel in tow. On one or two occasions I've had people come over and guide me if they see things are a little tight.
    Fortunately I have a diesel truck and look for truck stops that can accommodate large vehicles. The problem with this is fuel stops usually take a little longer. I preplan all my fuel stops in advance. When truck stops aren't available I use Google Maps and street view to see what access is like. I refuel every 200 miles to give me a little buffer.

Bob
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2022 Ford F350 SRW CC 4X4 Lariat 6.7 camper package, B&W Companion RVK3300

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    Secondly, I guess I'm in the minority but I avoid those places (Flying J, Pilot, etc.) like the plaque. I think they are generally way over pricing their fuel, way too busy and so many idiots! I'm so glad I have no fear when it comes to fueling stations. I'll go anywhere. In all my travels there "may" be 1 station I chickened out on.
    Rob - first of all too bad you had to go through that but unfortunately it is part of the negative side of the RV experience and becoming more so it seems. Just another of life's things thrown at us to deal with and see how we do.

X2 on Paul's approach and thoughts to avoid the big busy truck stops . We try to plan out our diesel stops in advance looking for newer larger other brand stations with room to pull in and get out with trailers. As Kay and Dave mentioned in their post #10 we use satellite views and street views to scope it out before we get there.

We also look for the newer Sams and Costcos which have diesel and larger fueling lanes and lot for maneuvering. We even call in advance and often the response is that tour buses stop there for fuel stop so we know we are gtg.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Years ago, had to unhook at a Home Depot in CT to fit into the old style gas stations available on I-84. That day led me to get an Aux Tank in my gasser. When I got the dually, first thing I did was get an aux tank in that also. At the end of the day at the campground, I unhook and refill both tanks as needed. My nerves couldn't take it anymore.
    RobM
    2017 Chevy Silverado 3500 L5P, Transfer Flow 35 Gal Aux Fuel Tank, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau Cover
    2018 Solitude 310-GKR, Curt Q-20 puck system hitch, TST TPMS 507, Titan discs

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast