User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting to a Gasoline Pump with a trailer in tow

OK! . . . this is a rant .

There are those of us who tow trailers with trucks with gasoline engines . . . why are the fuel stations forgetting this

All of the following happened on one refuelling attempt . . .

First try: A new Pilot station (Pilot is not cheap but historically has room for trailer haulers). This station has carefully cordoned off the gasoline pumps so you can't get to them with a trailer. Hmmm. There must be gasoline around back with the diesel lanes. Nope.

On to the second try: Next Pilot station has two RV lanes for gasoline or diesel. The line is out on to the highway.

On to the third try: This Pilot has one pump accessible with a trailer . . . the guy at the pump (with a Reflection no less) is just finishing, so I wait (with the tail of the trailer blocking access for everybody). He then gets his dog out of the trailer, leaves the rig at the pump and takes the dog for a walk. (There are signs at every pump directing customers to pull forward after fueling.) I decide to continue on to the next station because I am causing a real traffic jam at this one.

On to the fourth try: (Fuel level is getting really low by now). I wait in line at the next Pilot RV lane. Get up to the pumps and there is diesel or regular gas. (the Ecoboost needs premium when towing) So, I wind truck and trailer through the pumps and the cars until I can reach a premium gasoline pump. It is amazing how close you can maneuver one of these rigs to other objects . . . when you are desperate . (The rest of the customers are pretty sure that this guy is crazy and are getting out of the way)

Rant over .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flying J and TA seem to be the best bets for RV lanes.

I just wish gas stations would put their pumps so the lines run parallel to the road, that way we could pull in, fuel and pull out without having to make a 90 degree turn in the narrow space between the pumps and the building.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have only got gas once off the Pa. turnpike at the Bedford exit, I believe it was a Sheetz. Pulled into the "car" pump , filled up and had to back out. Everybody was so nice , they got out of my way.
    Thinking about your "rant" I have very seldom traveled farther than a tank of fuel so have not have had to deal with that. A good rant for sure.

Brian

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Flying J does have dedicated RV islands with 2 - 4 pumps of gas and diesel. Some are designed great while others stick the RV island in a corner near the store parking lot.

I use the truck lane at truck stops 95% of the time since I use diesel, but there are times I have to use a traditional station. Just pick an outside lane and realize you will be blocking some of the station traffic. Just be considerate and move as soon as your fueling is done, there is usually somewhere off to the side where you can park if you need to do anything else.

Depending on what state you're in will determine how nice people are about it. On the East Coast, the more south the nicer for the most part (grew up in NJ, I can say that).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With truck stops charging much more than regular stations WHY??? I usually checked the enter and exit before making a move. When the tank got very low, I had to back out a few times. I just told the people in line they could either make room or we could order in some fast food cause it would be a while. Now with the diesel it isn't quite the challenge, and as said above, usually only travel one tank a day.
    2019 GMC 3500 HD:)
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS:cool:

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    OK! . . . this is a rant .

There are those of us who tow trailers with trucks with gasoline engines . . . why are the fuel stations forgetting this

All of the following happened on one refuelling attempt . . .

First try: A new Pilot station (Pilot is not cheap but historically has room for trailer haulers). This station has carefully cordoned off the gasoline pumps so you can't get to them with a trailer. Hmmm. There must be gasoline around back with the diesel lanes. Nope.

On to the second try: Next Pilot station has two RV lanes for gasoline or diesel. The line is out on to the highway.

On to the third try: This Pilot has one pump accessible with a trailer . . . the guy at the pump (with a Reflection no less) is just finishing, so I wait (with the tail of the trailer blocking access for everybody). He then gets his dog out of the trailer, leaves the rig at the pump and takes the dog for a walk. (There are signs at every pump directing customers to pull forward after fueling.) I decide to continue on to the next station because I am causing a real traffic jam at this one.

On to the fourth try: (Fuel level is getting really low by now). I wait in line at the next Pilot RV lane. Get up to the pumps and there is diesel or regular gas. (the Ecoboost needs premium when towing) So, I wind truck and trailer through the pumps and the cars until I can reach a premium gasoline pump. It is amazing how close you can maneuver one of these rigs to other objects . . . when you are desperate . (The rest of the customers are pretty sure that this guy is crazy and are getting out of the way)

Rant over .

Rob
    One advantage of pulling a trailer is that you can always drop it somewhere and then go get fuel. Not an ideal solution but there is always that option
    2018 297RSTS
    2018 GMC Denali HD

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Rob
    First of all, this guy I want to punch in the face. Okay, I feel better now. What an A-Hole!!!!!

Secondly, I guess I'm in the minority but I avoid those places (Flying J, Pilot, etc.) like the plaque. I think they are generally way over pricing their fuel, way too busy and so many idiots! I'm so glad I have no fear when it comes to fueling stations. I'll go anywhere. In all my travels there "may" be 1 station I chickened out on.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .. He then gets his dog out of the trailer, leaves the rig at the pump and takes the dog for a walk.
    What the heck????? Are you kidding me? I really am starting to think humanity is being replaced with people who think they are the last living soul on the planet and act accordingly. I see this all the time at the grocery store. Clueless people parking their grocery carts in the middle of the isle and making no attempt to move even with a line of people waiting from both directions to get around them.

As for using truck stops - with a 42' 6" 5th wheel, I gladly pay the extra price for their fuel. No way I'm hauling that thing into a regular gas station.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We normally look for the Love stations as they seem to have the most room between the pumps and the building making getting out easy enough. I don't like going to the truck pumps in the back. They wouldn't take a personal credit card, which means you have to make two trips inside for one transaction. One to either give them your card or to prepay. Second trip to get your card back or your change or credit on your card. For someone who really doesn't want to have to go in in the first place and to have to do it twice and stand in line twice it is really aggravating. Another thing that is really aggravating to me is that they are always filthy. You end up standing in diesel fuel making a mess of your shoes and the handles are full of diesel fuel getting some on your hands. Now you also have to go to the bathroom to wash up but you still end up smelling like diesel fuel.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although we are diesel, we usually use the flying J Rv lanes, which are gas or diesel. The last time we checked, we got 8 cents off per gallon using Good Sam card.

Otherwise, I use iExit and satellite map view.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kay & Dave - Virginia Beach, VA
    Golden Retriever Molly - Been swimming in 28 states
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2019 GMC Denali CC/LB SRW
    Previous rig: 2014 Reflection 303RLS #314 and 2008 Silverado 2500 D/A

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast