Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spare Tire Orientation - Access to Valve Stem

I lowered the spare tire on our F150 today so that I could inspect the Hellwig air springs (the driver's side air spring seemed to be leaking all of the sudden; turned out to be a loose valve core in the air chuck - big relief). I used the opportunity to check air pressure in the spare tire before cranking it back up into place. Is there a good reason to keep the spare time oriented with the valve stem facing up, making it inaccessible for checking pressure or adding air without lowering it down first? One thought I had was maybe it's mounted that way to protect the valve stem from rocks, etc. bouncing up and damaging it, but that doesn't seem like a big risk if all of our driving is on paved roads. Another thought was maybe it's mounted that way to make it more difficult to tamper with. But it seems like flipping the spare over so that I can access the valve stem would ensure that the air pressure gets checked more often, making us better-prepared travelers. Any compelling reasons not to flip the spare tire over?
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jw^2 family View Post
    Any compelling reasons not to flip the spare tire over?
    Hi Joe,

This would make sense to me too . I have turned over the spare on the Reflection for just this reason.
    Most folks are driving around with both truck and trailer spares that have not had their pressure checked in years!
    The "logic" of loading valve up to protect the valve makes little sense to me. The road wheels have the valve stems far more "exposed" than this.

But . . . on the F150 there is not enough cable to lower the spare all the way to the ground with the wheel flipped so the valve is down. I decided to leave mine "valve up" to make sure that I could set it on the ground rather than wrestle it off the hanging cable, if I needed it.

BTW, I put TPMS sensors on both my spares . . . so I know when the spare tire pressure needs to be "topped up"

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep mine, both trailer and truck, valve stem up. Having to crank the spare down a bit to check is good insurance that it will come down when I need it. That said, the two times in the last year that I have checked my spares, they were just fine anyway...and the valve stems are out of harms way and the wheel face and stems stay a bit cleaner when pointed up. I have spent a lot of time off road, not mud bogging but logging roads, driving over brush and stuff that pretty much doesn't apply to trailering but always figured that is why they come installed with the stem facing up. It is a personal preference obviously but that is how I like it.
    Last edited by Rapid1; 04-07-2019 at 09:11 PM.
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mt solution is I am moving the spare to the back of the trailer. Im getting too old to crawl underneath. I need to find a grand design spare tire cover somewhere.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Mt solution is I am moving the spare to the back of the trailer. Im getting too old to crawl underneath. I need to find a grand design spare tire cover somewhere.
    Here ya go direct from the GDRV website......the new GDRV spare tire cover in 3 sizes !

https://store.granddesignrv.com/prod...re-cover-black

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turn both of mine over (valve down) so I can check them before each trip.
    Lyle & Judy and Annie the Westie
    Retired (Government employee/USMC/USAFR, Ret) & Retired (insurance industry)
    2018 F-350 CC LB DRW 4X4 6.7 (3.55)(Reese 18k "puck system")
    2018 Solitude 310GK (5500 Onan Genset)
    2020 F-150 SCSB XLT 2.7L 10 speed

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toes in the water View Post
    Here ya go direct from the GDRV website......the new GDRV spare tire cover in 3 sizes !

https://store.granddesignrv.com/prod...re-cover-black

Dan
    Sweet - Thanks
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the winch cable break on my 2002 truck and the tire fell out in the street. The cable had a rust spot where it broke and it would have been just on the outside of the winch box. I never fixed it just put the spare in the bed. now on our new 2018 Ram I'll keep some oil sprayed on the cable to keep it from rusting ad breaking.

The spare tire on our Solitude was installed valve stem down.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel