User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Diesel purchase

I just purchased a 2019 chevy 3500HD. This is my first adventure into the world of diesel engines. I'm trying to do some research in regards to grades of diesel fuel. I find that there is a #1 diesel and a #2 diesel. Printed on my fuel gauge it says use Ultra Low Sulfur. The manual says DO NOT use diesel with 15 ppm or greater sulfur. I'm not sure which to use. Does #2 diesel meet the requirements for GM in regards to fuel requirements? So far, the best I can find is that #2 is not Ultra Low Sulfur, but, Low Sulfur. Does that mean that <15 ppm of sulfur is the same as Ultra Low Sulfur? Would I consider that all the major brands ie. shell, chevron, valero etc. meet all the fuel requirements for GM?
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS
    2016 Silverado 2500 4x4 Gasser

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's what I understand and my opinion:
    Both are ULS diesel. If you're buying at the pump at a gas station or truck stop #2 (or blended #2 w/ bio diesel) is what you get unless it's really cold and you're in the north then you'll find stations with #1. Stay away from B20 or bio diesel - although it's pretty common for places to sell it with no alternatives. If you use a lot of bio or blended bio - change your diesel filters more often. Bio diesel is also bad if you store it a lot and don't use it. If you're buying for a fleet or work for a company where you have access to fleet fuel then some machines need the others and you can get into trouble that way - but I don't think I've ever seen anything other than ULS #2 (or blended) at a truck stop.
    Last edited by mbmike29; 04-08-2019 at 11:51 AM.
    2018 RAM 3500 Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 3.73 gear ratio, AISIN trans, B&W Companion, Air Lift 7500XL
    2020 Momentum 397TH
    2014 Victory Cross Country Tour

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy fuel from major providers at car or truck stops with no concerns and have fun with your new diesel. It will pull stumps for you. You're gonna love it even if it is the wrong brand
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Diesel #2 is pretty universal.....can't recall recently seeing any diesel # 1.

Only issues are the winter blend/grades of diesel you sometimes run into in the colder states, where fuel can get pretty thick.....the winter blend flows when it gets cold.

Cal
    Cal, Marsha and Bear the Labradoodle
    2019 F350 Platinum DRW, 6.7 PSD, 4:10, Firestone Airbags
    Pullrite Superlite
    2019 Momentum 376th
    Aprilia RST1000
    Evelo Aurora E-bikes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ultra Low Sulfur seems to be the standard. I have not seen #1 diesel anywhere. Enjoy your Duramax and watch the temps. Also, do not mix the antifreeze with any other kind but the OEM. If you put the green in with the orange it will gel and overheat.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #1 diesel is prevalent in northern climates in winter months. We have it hear even in southern SD to be used for more extreme temps colder than -10ish and below. I see our fire trucks, ambulances, etc. filling at a local station using it it extreme cold events just to ensure no problems with gelling.

#2 is treated for colder weather in winter months Oct- March usually in our area down to -10 or so. The farther north you go and the longer the winter and the colder the temperatures #2 is treated to different levels reflecting the temps in that region. There are maps out on the web reflecting bands of average temperatures and the greater blending of #2 to handle the cold in that region as one heads north in winter months.

GM recommends #2 for the preceding reasons as well as the better lubrication, better power, better MPG etc. All this is covered in the owners manual or at least it used to be. It is in our 2012 Chevrolet Diesel Supplement.

Mixing Bio-diesel and std. diesel is also covered in detail in our manual. If you use Bio......stay with it......do not go back and forth to non bio to prevent fuel filter clogging issues. Most of us prefer to not use bio to prevent the fuel filter issues.

All highway diesel is ULS since 2006/2007.

Dan
    Last edited by Canyonlight; 04-08-2019 at 12:39 PM.
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Pa. we have on road and off road diesel , off road is dyed pink, or red and is not taxed , and is not allowed to be used in on road vehicles, if found in you tank you will get a fine.
    Not sure why but here our #1 diesel is on road , #2 is off road or home heating oil.

Brian

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stay away from off road diesel and you will be fine. almost all diesel even the off road farm stuff is uls as the equipment is held to the same standards as road stuff. A bit of Bio is good for extra lube for the fuel system. Better than a lot of the additives on the market today. Blended winter fuel is nothing more than adding some #1 to the mix to keep the fuel from gelling. .
    Last edited by Bob/OlallaWA; 04-08-2019 at 04:35 PM.
    2019 GMC 3500 HD:)
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS:cool:

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Washington State has Red Dye #1 for off road use (tractor) and #2 for road use. I've been doing diesel trucks since 1997 (4th one now) and never any issues using #2 at any major station. Just try to use stations that have high volume sales so you get "fresh" fuel and less moisture. You will love towing with a real truck now! Enjoy

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick1234 View Post
    I just purchased a 2019 chevy 3500HD. This is my first adventure into the world of diesel engines.
    Not exactly OT, but on my Ford there is a fuel/water separator that other owners have warned me (multiple times) to ensure I drain on occasion. There is supposed to be a warning light that comes on when the separator is full of water, but if it doesn't water could inject into the engine and then it is major $$$$$ to repair.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast