User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few nights of cold

We have our RV parked nearby, getting ready to move in... soon . The forecast is for a few nights in the mid to maybe low 30's. We're not living in it yet, but are going everyday to bring stuff. The furnace is currently set to about 45 degrees, so I'm guessing that should be ok for the underbelly part.

But what about the pass-thru and the water panel? And what about the hose connected to the camp water supply? We're new to all this, and wondering is there something specific we need to do to prepare for a few nights like this. The weather has been decent, so we were not worried. We move in on Saturday, and wouldn't you know....we get this darn cold snap just before we move.

Thanks!!
    Lynette & Steve
    2001 Ford Excursion 4WD 7.3 Turbo Diesel
    Former Owner - 2018 315RLTS Reflection TT

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theburgerts View Post
    We have our RV parked nearby, getting ready to move in... soon . The forecast is for a few nights in the mid to maybe low 30's. We're not living in it yet, but are going everyday to bring stuff. The furnace is currently set to about 45 degrees, so I'm guessing that should be ok for the underbelly part.

But what about the pass-thru and the water panel? And what about the hose connected to the camp water supply? We're new to all this, and wondering is there something specific we need to do to prepare for a few nights like this. The weather has been decent, so we were not worried. We move in on Saturday, and wouldn't you know....we get this darn cold snap just before we move.

Thanks!!
    Hi Lynette or Steve,

If your not getting sustained temps under freezing, you should be okay. Not sure if wind chill will make much of a difference (just thinking out loud). To play it safe, you can leave the furnace where you have it, just make sure you have enough propane, and I assume the RV is plugged in to electrical. When your away, be sure to turn off your water supply, and you may want to just disconnect the outside water hose and drain the hose until you need water again. I believe you will be safe for a few days with those temps. If it gets colder than that, there are other measures to take.

Full timers use them during cold weather all the time.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should be fine. If you are not staying in it I would at least take the water hose off and store it away. Just make sure you have plenty of propane and if you are not able to check it frequently then I would go ahead and put the selector on the regulator to pull from both tanks. We boondocked for a few days in the teens using just the furnace and only went through one bottle, did get the pleasure of having the regulator go out in the midst of it though. Which little tip, go ahead and get one and have it on hand. The parts place in Carlsbad knew they were the only place around had one and the price greatly reflected that!
    We have been fulltime in ours for over a year now and have been down below zero in it. No real issues with things like the low point drains freezing until it gets down in the mid teens or so. Temps in the 30’s with the furnace on wouldn’t be cause for loosing any sleep. Of it makes you feel better about the compartment, put a small heater in it on low run off a separate heavy duty cord to the pole. Or it’s even easy enough to just turn off the water and open the low point drains up since you are not staying in it.
    Chris and Karen - currently on the coast of the Olympic Peninsula

Roaming the country full time with our 2018 312BHTS Reflection behind a 2016 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins and two preschoolers who are highly addicted to camping.

Follow our adventures @brownsignjunkies

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should be fine. If the day time highs are warm enough and sunny to get trailer warm it will keep the heat overnight. This is a lot of mass to get cold just over night.
    Un-hook the water line as stated above.

Brian

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone!! We're there every day moving stuff in. And we're watching the forecast every day at this point.

Plenty of propane, furnace is working fine. It's just these next few days that had me concerned. But the daytime temperatures will be well above freezing, and no wind chill factor to be worried about. We're in full time come Saturday.

I just took a deep breath. I'll probably feel better if we disconnect the water line and reattach each day until we're in in FT.

Thank you!!

Sent from LB's phone using Tapatalk
    Lynette & Steve
    2001 Ford Excursion 4WD 7.3 Turbo Diesel
    Former Owner - 2018 315RLTS Reflection TT

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wind chill should not matter. It affects things that are wet or sweat, like us human beans.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be sure you are plugged into shore power. Your battery doesn't have enough capacity to use all the propane you have on board. In fact it will only run the furnace for a few hours.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name