User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
    I do add Motocraft's Cetane Booster (PM-22-A) and, in winter months, their anti-gel (PM-23-A).
    Same for me. In addition I only use high volume brand name stations. You don't want a fuel related problem with your diesel engine. It can be very costly.

Bob
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2022 Ford F350 SRW CC 4X4 Lariat 6.7 camper package, B&W Companion RVK3300

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grampscamper View Post
    Same for me. In addition I only use high volume brand name stations. You don't want a fuel related problem with your diesel engine. It can be very costly.

Bob
    I see this a lot. “use high volume stations”. Other than camping out at stations, how can I determine which is a high volume station?
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS
    2016 Silverado 2500 4x4 Gasser

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick1234 View Post
    I see this a lot. “use high volume stations”. Other than camping out at stations, how can I determine which is a high volume station?
    I like to fill up on major highways and in larger towns. I look for modern gas stations. You can usually tell with a quick look. I never fill in smaller towns with no name, run down stations.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good question , when I think high volume I think Pilot, Loves, or your local station that you drive by and see they are busy a lot. I might avoid a small place with only a couple pumps that does not look like they sell a lot. At home I use a local private owned gas station , I have got gas there for years and always seen big trucks there getting diesel so I just get my diesel there.

You will be fine just pay a little attention and all will be good.

Brian

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few years ago I was on an interstate and was getting low on fuel. I saw a sign advertising diesel at the next exit. When I got off the interstate and saw the gas station I turned around and went back on the highway. It was a run down station with a couple of pumps that look like it needed some TLC. Another thing I avoid is stations with above ground tanks. It's rare but I've seen a few in my travels. I worry about condensation. For longer trips in unfamiliar areas I carry a couple of 5 gallon cans with me.
    Another thing I avoid is stations that are being refueled. If I see a tanker truck in their lot I keep driving. Refueling stirs up the sediment in the bottom of the tank.

Bob
    Last edited by grampscamper; 04-13-2019 at 01:18 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diesel Fuel Additive

Does it work? Is it really needed? Can you tell the difference between when not using it and using it?
    My answer....I just don't know.
    But, I do know that I have invested a boatload of $$$$ to have a diesel and I have heard war stories about inferior fuel. So, for myself I am going to try to do what I can to take care of my motor and fuel system.

Before I took ownership of my F250 Powerstroke I did some homework and one of the fuel additives that piqued my interest was made by Amalgamated. I now have 73,000 miles on my truck and every ounce of fuel that has ever been put in to it has had TDR-FL go in with it.

I use this cylinder to measure out how much goes into the tank based on how much fuel I have added.
    https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Lab-G...ll-spons&psc=1

Like I said, is it worth it? I really cannot tell, but considering we are full-time and I rarely ever fuel at the same place twice, I am going to do what I can to be proactive and add additive.

https://www.amalgamatedinc.com/tdr-fl.aspx

One other preventive maintenance task I do is routinely, every 15,000 miles, I replace both of the fuel filters. I buy them on Amazon and changing them is pretty simple to do.
    Once a month I manually drain the frame filter just in case any water has accumulated in it. I do not get any water out every time, but I have now and then so that keeps me doing this regularly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Winter WDA.jpg   Add Table.pdf  
    Last edited by 2825Matheny; 04-20-2019 at 02:40 PM.
    Peggy and Jamey Matheny
    2016 Grand Design Solitude 5th Wheel 369RL Serial #G1104808
    As of 19 April 2019, 792 nights and 23,887 trailer miles.
    2015 Ford F-250 4X4 Super Cab SRW 148" WB 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Diesel Fuel Additive
    Quote Originally Posted by 2825Matheny View Post
    Does it work? Is it really needed? Can you tell the difference between when not using it and using it?
    My answer....I just don't know.
    I am in the same position. Big bucks for a truck. My 05 had lots of troubles with fuel injectors and the cp4 fuel pump. After spending a few grand on repairs I started doing some research on the subject. There is a lot of information out there on the subject. The conclusion that I came to was that when they went to low sulfate fuel they should have drastically re-engineered the fuel pump. The lack of lubricity in the low sulfate fuel contributes to early fuel injector failure and early fuel pump failure. More research and learning.

Worst thing for diesel fuel injectors is water. Turns the fuel injector into a cutting torch. Air has a similar effect, but not as much. Fuel filters only do so much. So I spent an extra grand on my new truck and got the FAAS fuel filter and uplift pump for my 13 LML. I have 80k on it after doing that, my turbocharger goes out. I use Opti-Lube XPD fuel additive to increase cetane and lubricity. My wife swears I am throwing good money after bad. She could be right.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Low price = high volume
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have noticed a lot of difference in fuel mileage from different stations. I cannot say which stations give me the best mileage, seems to be a crapshoot. I do not regularly use additives.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I stay away from biodiesel, but otherwise us stations that have truck pumps. As a safeguard I carry Power Service (white jug) and their 911 in winter.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast