User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diesel fuel quality

New to the diesel world. I have a 2019 3500HD duramax. In California, does Costco and Safeway have good diesel? Or, should I only purchase at major brand stations?
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS
    2016 Silverado 2500 4x4 Gasser

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll get this started with an opinion; use the diesel if it's Low Sulphur, 15 ppm. Your owner's manual should tell you everything you need to know about filling up and whether biodiesel is ok for your vehicle. I won't fill up if it's at a station that doesn't get a lot of activity. I was told, true or not, that the fuel may get "stale" if not turned over enough.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick1234 View Post
    New to the diesel world. I have a 2019 3500HD duramax. In California, does Costco and Safeway have good diesel? Or, should I only purchase at major brand stations?
    I have used Costco and Safeway diesel w/ no problems. My mechanic told me that since diesel doesn't have additives like gas you can buy it about anywhere and not worry about it.

Rich
    Rich And Janet (no dog or cats, 8 grandkids but not with us all at once)
    Onalaska, WA
    2011 F350, 4X4, B&W hitch
    2016 Solitude 300GK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFSolitude View Post
    I'll get this started with an opinion; use the diesel if it's Low Sulphur, 15 ppm. Your owner's manual should tell you everything you need to know about filling up and whether biodiesel is ok for your vehicle. I won't fill up if it's at a station that doesn't get a lot of activity. I was told, true or not, that the fuel may get "stale" if not turned over enough.
    I was told the same thing and have always looked for Diesel at a truck stop or high volume station.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do add Motocraft's Cetane Booster (PM-22-A) and, in winter months, their anti-gel (PM-23-A).
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have buy diesel at some of the worst most rundown gas stations simply because it is all that is available. I have not had any contamination problems. I also change my fuel filter with every service. I buy a lot of Safeway diesel and would be ok with Costco. Take a look at FAAS and Air Dog fuel filters.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I buy at Costco every all the time & have had no problems. Use stations with a lot of traffic. It's water contamination that is the problem if it sits for very long, or if anti-gel has not been added in the cold climes in the winter. I drain the water/fuel separator once a month (more often if I bought fuel from a dubious station, & change filter every other oil change. Cetane booster is your friend.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick1234 View Post
    There may be a list of TOP TIER diesel fuel stations that meet the requirements of GM in your owners manual. Costco and Safeway is on the list where they should display the registered trademark TOP TIER on their pumps. This is for Diesel as well as Gasoline. Also a believer in using OEM filters as well, whether it be GM, Ford or FCA.

An interesting article.
    https://www.fuelsandlubes.com/fli-ar...iesel-engines/
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with others above that I buy from facilities that move a lot of fuel. Also additives that increase the Cetane value and enhance lubricity are a good idea with ULSD.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys about covered it. Only problems are Safeway discount is only for 25 gallons and Kroger (Fred Meyer/Smiths and others) is 35 gallons (48 gallon tank). Most Costco's up here don't have diesel. I use biodiesel when I have to and try to follow up with a few tanks of 100% diesel. Winterized fuel sucks and most of it is a mix of #1 and #2 which kills fuel mileage. Have started using Opti-lube additives. Had to find but seem to be working well.
    Lyle & Judy and Annie the Westie
    Retired (Government employee/USMC/USAFR, Ret) & Retired (insurance industry)
    2018 F-350 CC LB DRW 4X4 6.7 (3.55)(Reese 18k "puck system")
    2018 Solitude 310GK (5500 Onan Genset)
    2020 F-150 SCSB XLT 2.7L 10 speed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast