User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Westlake tires?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have a 2018 Solitude 310GK, and have put more than 10000 miles on them including a trip from Port Aransas, Tx, to Washington State Coast, through Wyoming and UTAH and back through the deserts of Nevada , Arizona, and New Mexico. Just returned from a trip to Colorado Springs, and Santa Fe. I too have G rated Westlakes and they show very little wear. I have had my bearings greased twice since we bought it in Jan 2018, and they also look normal. I have been following the tire issues and bearing issues and am always
    checking my tire pressures and making sure they have at least 110 PSI, at every fuel stop. Also check the brake drums for excessive heat. I have finally decided to change out my G rated Westlakes , for Goodyear 614's. I am hating the price of $285. apiece for them, but probably would hate paying the damage for a blowout even more. The Saluns are half that price, but are also made in China. I also will be getting them balanced when they mount them, as I also carry plenty of Cookies, which would devastate me if they were broke and crumbled. As a special note, I do specially pack my bottle of Rum, to make sure it doesn't break, especially while driving through New Mexico! Their roads are terrible! LOL

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1st Cav Duke View Post
    I also have a 2018 Solitude 310GK, and have put more than 10000 miles on them including a trip from Port Aransas, Tx, to Washington State Coast, through Wyoming and UTAH and back through the deserts of Nevada , Arizona, and New Mexico. Just returned from a trip to Colorado Springs, and Santa Fe. I too have G rated Westlakes and they show very little wear. I have had my bearings greased twice since we bought it in Jan 2018, and they also look normal. I have been following the tire issues and bearing issues and am always
    checking my tire pressures and making sure they have at least 110 PSI, at every fuel stop. Also check the brake drums for excessive heat. I have finally decided to change out my G rated Westlakes , for Goodyear 614's. I am hating the price of $285. apiece for them, but probably would hate paying the damage for a blowout even more. The Saluns are half that price, but are also made in China. I also will be getting them balanced when they mount them, as I also carry plenty of Cookies, which would devastate me if they were broke and crumbled. As a special note, I do specially pack my bottle of Rum, to make sure it doesn't break, especially while driving through New Mexico! Their roads are terrible! LOL
    I might be wrong but as I recall the Goodyear g614’s are an LT tire with a load range G. The important note is that those load range G are rated at ~3700# verses the ST load rated G tires at 4080#. Might be worth thinking about before buying?

///chile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SW of ATL
    2018 F350 CC DRW
    2019 Momentum 394M

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took the plunge this weekend and replaced my 235-80-16 Westlake tires with Goodyear Endurance. Used a 4x6 to span the axles placed under the u-bolts and a 6 ton bottle jack and did all four at on time. Piece of cake. Only had 1200 miles on them but worried all the time. $891 from Americas Tire.
    Bruce & Patti (and Rosie)
    2019 Reflection 367BHS
    2018 RAM 3500 SRW Diesel 4x4
    Dublin, CA

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2018 Solitude 310GK with the "infamous" Westlake G-rated tires (235/85R16). In less than 2-years, we've made two roundtrip cross country trips from California to Florida, California to Virginia, & two shorter trips, totaling over 22,000 miles. We were fortunate & did not have one "tire incident," despite the bad rep these tires get.

Like "1st Cav Duke," we were diligent about monitoring & maintaining the proper tire pressure (100#s), monitoring hub temp, and using TPMS on each tire that monitors the tire pressure & temperature.

I am currently shopping for replacements, not because they are necessarily due to be replaced, but because I try to stay ahead of the curve! Based on the copious amount of feedback on this topic, I will probably go with the Sailun S637 G-rated tires (4500# Load Index). They seem to be the closest direct replacement for the OEM Westlake G-rated tires I have (4400# Load Index). Plus, based on the specs, the Sailuns increase the Load Index 100#s per tire. Better to have more than less IMHO!

2017 Ford F350 DRW 6.7L Custom Ordered
    2018 GD Solitude 310GK
    40,900+Miles
    "Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself." -Potter Stewart

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    I believe so IMHO. Also realized the springs and axles are undersized on the 2600RB and 2800BH.
    2600RB has a higher axle rating than 2500RL and 2450RL. Why do you say that it is undersized compared to the other two? Or are you saying that all in that category are undersized?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too have a 2018 Solitude 310GK-R and have just finished a 2000 mile trip thru Colorado which brought my mileage total on the Westlake G's to 13,600 miles. Have not had any problems with the tires, even when traveling in air temps of 107 degrees. I usually don't exceed 70 mph. In all my reading about Westlake G's, I have not come across any failures. The tire guru on RVTravel.com has posted articles about Westlake tires (he worked in the tire manufacturing industry for 40 years). His opinion is that most of the failures in any tires are either from road hazards, underpressurization, overloading, or driving too fast under heavy load. He also noted that frequent backing with sharp turns puts heavy shear loads on the tires (multiple axle rigs) which are cumulative and will lead to failures over time. While he thinks that US made tires are better than Chinese tires, he states that the Westlake G's should provide good service if conditions are kept within the ratings for the tires. In my travels I have seen many rigs that are way overloaded (mostly rigs of full timers) where the owners assured me they were within the load limits of the rigs. In further questioning I became convinced they really didn't have a clue to how much they were overloaded. I am thinking that I will replace my Westlake G's before 20,000 miles with Sailun S637T's (before we go on a 3800 mile trip to the northwest next summer).

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 374TH-R with westlakes 235/80R16 10 ply (G rated) on it the. GVW of the trailer is 20k lbs at present I have 31k miles on them with out a lick of problems!! I am a believer that American made tires have better QC but any tire or brand could have problems.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345