User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Rob,
    I've often thought about making a hot water kerosene fueled tent heater but it never happened. Long ago, my Dad and I used to 4 wheel into remote areas while turkey hunting where we tent camped. Some years were really cold. Things change since this is now done with a motorhome.
    Heating unit could be outside while hot water could be pumped into the sleeping area and through a radiator. Still think there could be value in a system like this if it was cost effective.
    Jim
    Jim,

See the "water heating" info starting on page 6 https://www.eberspacher.com/fileadmi...g_uk_22375.pdf

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuffsaid View Post
    I stand corrected, I meant CO, CO2 is just a term I am more familiar with when used in welding gases.

To further clarify the unit I am talking about, here is a link: https://www.amazon.com/Happybuy-Moto...omotive&sr=1-3

This unit has a vent that goes to the outside and also brings in air for combustion from the outside. If made properly, it should be as safe as the rv heater
    This looks like a nice option but the exhaust gasses must not be able to intrude into the RV. Would the electric/oil heater work or do you need something that would also serve as a back up for boon docking?

Re-Read your post on the 20 amp service. If this one location is the only limiting factor then maybe having a service installed may be another option?
    Last edited by MidwestCamper; 04-13-2019 at 08:48 AM.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Jim,

See the "water heating" info starting on page 6 https://www.eberspacher.com/fileadmi...g_uk_22375.pdf

Rob
    Rob,
    Another one that someone moved forward on rather than pondered. Lol. A cheap version of this would serve many tasks. All these heaters would work as a backup but the electric/oil type heater would seem to be the most convenient as long as electric power was available. Not sure if GDRV does any analysis on exhaust intrusion, but by design this needs to be considered.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.amazon.com/Vornado-Whole...-1-spons&psc=1
    I have a couple of these little beauties and they work amazingly well. I have not tried it in the trailer yet but 2 of them will warm up my oversized 2 car garage nicely on a cold day. I would think one at each end of the RV would work nicely with the propane furnace as backup. Just another option and no worries about CO fumes.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/Vornado-Whole...-1-spons&psc=1
    I have a couple of these little beauties and they work amazingly well. I have not tried it in the trailer yet but 2 of them will warm up my oversized 2 car garage nicely on a cold day. I would think one at each end of the RV would work nicely with the propane furnace as backup. Just another option and no worries about CO fumes.
    You live in Texas , how cold can it get there? 60's maybe.....

Brian

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    This looks like a nice option but the exhaust gasses must not be able to intrude into the RV. Would the electric/oil heater work or do you need something that would also serve as a back up for boon docking?

Re-Read your post on the 20 amp service. If this one location is the only limiting factor then maybe having a service installed may be another option?
    I have a 5500 watt generator in the bed of my truck, diesel powered, but running electric heaters is only marginally effective when it is cold out. I do a lot of boon docking in the fall, sometimes it is cold and snowing, bringing enough propane can be a challenge not to mention that we get gouged on propane pricing for rv's. I ordered one of these diesel heaters from amazon today. I am not sure if I will install it in my hunting trailer first to see how I like it or in the solitude. I already have a blue flame heater in my hunting trailer, but it doesn't warm up the belly area when it is below freezing. When it gets down close to 0 and there is snow on the ground, it requires a lot of heat to keep warm especially if you get wet and need to dry out.
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners
    RETIRED Maint Supervisor, Certified Welder, ASE Master Tech, Owner tire shop

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post

Brian
    LOL heeeyy that's pretty cold!!
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post

Brian
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    LOL heeeyy that's pretty cold!!
    I live in wet western Oregon. I melt at 80*.

We have a Wave 3. It heated the pickup camper when I was ski patrolling at Crater Lake. It did great. I wish it was a Wave 6 sometimes when using it for extra heat in the Momentum we had. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest, I don’t think there is any one perfect solution (electric, propane, gas, diesel, kerosene, etc. Here in N.B. Canada, our avg winter low temps. are ~9*F. For me the most effective method; if I’m in one place longer then a week is first skirt the rig. Second is having a generator that is paired to whatever fuel is most available or more importantly, storable on your rig or tow vehicle. Third, is using one electric space heater in each room. As well I have a Big buddy Mr Heater.
    My new setup now that I’m in a Momentum is that I’ll be looking at some sort of gas heater as I’m carrying 40gal of gas.
    The other thing I’ve done in the past is had a fuel Co drop off 3-4 100lbs pptanks.
    If im at a provincial/state park camp and ther is a 20Amp outlet as well as a 30/50amp service I’ll run an extension cord in the rig and run 1-2 space heaters.
    Again IMHO ther is no 1 perfect solution when your in an RV that move around the planet.
    2018 F-350 6.7L diesel SRW CCSB Lariat with OEM rolling tonneau
    Pullrite Superglide OE Series #2914, Titan 55Gal Tank(midship)
    2018 Momentum 354 M-Class no mods yet.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuffsaid View Post
    I stand corrected, I meant CO, CO2 is just a term I am more familiar with when used in welding gases.

To further clarify the unit I am talking about, here is a link: https://www.amazon.com/Happybuy-Moto...omotive&sr=1-3

This unit has a vent that goes to the outside and also brings in air for combustion from the outside. If made properly, it should be as safe as the rv heater. The reason I would like a diesel fuel heater is mostly for convenience. I have a 60 gallon diesel tank in the bed of my truck with a pump. Last Christmas we parked our Solitude in our Daughters front yard in Belgrade, MT, it snowed and stayed cold. I brought two 100 lb propane bottles with me and each one only lasted about a week. Our electricity was limited to a 20 amp circuit, so if the fireplace was running we couldn't use much else. Electric heat doesn't keep the plumbing warm in the belly. There will still be a 12 volt draw almost equal to the main furnace. We had a hard time maintaining 70 degrees inside of our 310GK even after I added foil faced bubble wrap to the windows. The large amount of glass in this model lets in a lot of cold and adds a lot of heat in the sun. Insulated window coatings is also on my list. Spray foaming my frame rails did help with keeping the belly area warmer, but a lot of cold intrusion still comes from the slide out floors. All I can say is GD's R-15 insulation rating in the slideout floors from foil insulation is more like R-1. I found it very interesting to go around the inside of my 310gk with an infrared thermometer finding all of the cold spots. Another cold spot comes from the solid steps, cold crepes into the trailer from the outside metal and the inside metal was typically in the low 30's when it was in the teens outside. Pretty soon this thread will change to keeping cool in the summer, LOL.
    The problems that you are having is the reasons I go south for the winter. After losing everything to the wild fire near Philipsburg, MT. in 2013. I tried to stay there through the winter of 2013/14, and will never stay there ever again in a trailer. At -36 with all the heat I could get out of the furnace, and two elec. heaters, I woke up to ICE in the kitchen sink. It was so cold the cat crawled in bed with me. I said thats enough, next year I went south for the winters.
    2012 Chevy 3500 DRW DURAMAX
    2016 Momentum 397th
    TOY 2013 800 RZR LE

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast