User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To the OP,

Another option is to just swap out your current furnace. If it’s a suburban SF-Series a SH-Series is only 2” higher with same footprint. Don’t know if it’s worth the time and effort but it may be an option.
    2018 F-350 6.7L diesel SRW CCSB Lariat with OEM rolling tonneau
    Pullrite Superglide OE Series #2914, Titan 55Gal Tank(midship)
    2018 Momentum 354 M-Class no mods yet.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RVLife68 View Post
    To the OP,

Another option is to just swap out your current furnace. If it’s a suburban SF-Series a SH-Series is only 2” higher with same footprint. Don’t know if it’s worth the time and effort but it may be an option.
    I did actually consider this, the largest furnace suburban makes is a 42k btu model, our trailers come with a 35k btu, the problems are two fold. The 42 uses a bit more 12v power and more propane consumption. Many times, propane is a PIA to get refilled and harder to carry extra than diesel. I have two 100 lb propane bottles and two spare 30 lb bottles, but it doesn't take long to over weight on my rear axle if I keep piling in more fuel. I have traveled a bit with two spare 30 lb bottles in the cargo area. My daughter came to visit last week and we let her stay in the Solitude and in two days an 8 gallon propane tank was emptied, it was only only in the low 30's at night. If the 5 kw version of the diesel heater is 17k btu's, then the 8 kw version that I purchased should be over 20k btu's or the equivilent of 4 ceramic electric heaters. Time will tell.
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners
    RETIRED Maint Supervisor, Certified Welder, ASE Master Tech, Owner tire shop

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An extra 20k btu's will help heat a lot.

I'd be interested in seeing your installation pictures. Are you taping into a tank in the truck, or a portable fuel tank?
    KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    An extra 20k btu's will help heat a lot.

I'd be interested in seeing your installation pictures. Are you taping into a tank in the truck, or a portable fuel tank?
    KEN
    The unit comes with a 10 liter fuel tank. I have a 6 gallon marine tank that I used to use when I had my onan on the back rack on my Holiday Rambler, but in the you tube videos I watched, they were able to get over 24 hours of continuous run time from the 10 liter tank. I might want to bench test the unit before I install it. One thought is use part of the output to heat the belly area and direct the other outlet to a cold area in the trailer. If I install this unit in my Holiday Rambler, I might duct one heat source through the floor in the bathroom because by the time the heat from the propane furnace reaches the bedroom/bath area it has cooled off a lot and doesn't have much velocity. I could even tap into the duct work in the basement storage area and tap the new heater into it. I might even consider a tee into the propane furnace ducting. It is really hard to say without seeing how much air is being moved by the fan in the diesel heater. If I decide to install this in the Solitude, utilizing an existing duct would be best. I could possibly install the unit right next to the propane furnace and tee into some existing ducts. Decisions, decisions! I am also going to actively pursue some sort of insulating window film .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8AYsRL8jds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyB70MplFo0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmENqukmrTc
    Last edited by Nuffsaid; 04-14-2019 at 11:39 AM.
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been kind of busy, but I finally got a chance to bench test the 8kw chinese diesel heater. In a nutshell, WOW. This thing puts out a lot of heat! I can't say that I have mastered the controls yet, but it seems to work very well. Noise isn't bad, there is a very small amount of light smoke at first start up, but not bad. Once it is warmed up, no smoke or smell at all. The fuel pump output is is controlled by varying the hertz. Max hertz is 5.0 and at that rate, the unit puts out a lot of heat. The fan is variable based on how much fuel is being used. The unit won't fire up if the battery doesn't have enough voltage, but it fires right up with a good battery. This unit has 4 -1 5/8 round outlets, so now I have to figure out how I want to plumb it in.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE: I finally got around to installing the diesel fired heater yesterday in my 2001 Holiday Rambler Alumascape. I think I am really going to like this heater! I installed the heater in the front storage area that isn't heated very well from the factory. In this area I have an second fresh water tank and the water pump, plus the batteries and storage. I cut one of the main furnace ducts and ran on port of the heater into a bedroom duct, another port goes back to the central duct of the main furnace, I routed a third duct into the under belly at the front of the trailer and the forth duct blows air into the storage area. After 5 minutes of operation, I could feel a good amount of heat coming into the bedroom area and the other floor ducts were warming up. The storage area was warming up quickly. I had the heater set on high which is adjustable by varying the hertz of the electric motor. I am getting ready to go elk hunting in a few days and I will get a chance to see how well this works. Hopefully it won't have any negative effects on the propane furnace, but since the heat source is so far away from the propane furnace, I think it will act as a booster.

I am happy enough with this set up that I ordered another similar heater for the solitude. https://www.ebay.com/itm/372739873389 the difference of this newer heater is that it is packaged like a suitcase, so hooking it up should be very easy and will only require several holes for the exhaust and intake air pipes. I plan to install this heater in the generator storage area of the solitude and divert heat to that unheated area which will heat behind the fiberglass cap and warm a very cold spot in the front closet, add heat to the storage area and direct some heat to the underbelly in the front of the trailer. For me this little heater that runs on diesel fuel will be a good solution to propane and help the propane supply last longer and cut down a little on the furnace run time. I will post some photos when I get some free time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keeping an eye out for some pics. I’ve thought about this ever since we were in the semi a few years back. The espar heater in the sleeper had my brain going. I have yet to use the furnace in the winter because of how much propane I hear people go through. I always thought diesel could be way more cost effective and easier to get. Keep us posted!
    2015 Ram 3500 DRW Mega Cab Short Bed
    2019 Solitude 3350RL

Me, my wife (early 30’s), a dog, and a cat.
    Instagram: StillCamping

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got back from elk hunting in the Big Horn Mountains of Wyoming. The heater was AWESOME!!!!!!! I left it running on a very low setting, we had a big snow fall and temps in the single digits. I could get over 30 hours of run time on 10 liters of diesel. With the heat blowing into the belly, the front storage area and the furnace ducts, what a huge improvement over the furnace by itself. With heat in the front storage area, it heated the entire area to around 90 degrees, this warmed the floor under the bathroom and shower area as well as added a lot of heat to the belly of the 5er. I purchased another unit that is called an all in one unit and I will install it into the Solitude in the front generator prep area. I think it will be a great addition. The unit is relatively quiet, but you can hear the ticking of the magnetic fuel pump, but for me that isn't any worse than listening to a clock.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a quick search and see that 8kw is equal to around 27k btu. I imagine I’d need two of them if my intention was to completely replace my furnace. We had an espar in the semi we drove for a year and I really like the idea of running diesel heaters as opposed to the propane. Diesel is way easier to obtain, not to mention cheaper. Any input?
    2015 Ram 3500 DRW Mega Cab Short Bed
    2019 Solitude 3350RL

Me, my wife (early 30’s), a dog, and a cat.
    Instagram: StillCamping

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the chinese diesel heaters are copies of the espar at a fraction of the price. Only time will tell though how long they last. As a supplemental heater, I think it is great and diesel is much easier to get than propane. I need to install the all in one heater I bought into the Solitude and give a report on it next. I want to heat the front generator compartment to help warm up the front closet and add heat to the basement and more heat to the belly. Maybe I will get a chance this weekend, shouldn't take very long to hook it up, just need to find some fitting to split the duct work.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast