User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    As many of you know, I do a lot of boondocking...
    I don't do any boondocking Jim but your excellent write up has me tempted to get one of these meters. Very cool gadget. Thanks for sharing!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now, I can monitor my battery usage down to the amp hour. I equate it to having the equivalent to a fuel gauge for my batteries.

The model of meter I selected is the Victron BMV-712 Smart Battery Monitor. I like this model because it has Blue Tooth capability which allows it to be programmed and monitored right from your smart phone.
    I can't wait to play with mine! Should be within a day or two.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Jim,

September 2015 . . . post 44 - 48 . . . the first conversation between Paul and I about Victron battery monitors .
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...3864#post43864 When I installed the one on my boat, no one had even heard of “blue tooth” LOL .
    (Victron builds quality stuff to marine standards . . . which is way beyond typical RV expectations)

Rob
    Rob - Even if you have some ancient technology like the BMV-700 or the BMV-702, you can now step out of the dark ages! Victron manufactures a Blue Tooth dongle that will plug and play with your archaic meters! LOL.

Blue Tooth Dongle

Jim

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob - Even if you have some ancient technology like the BMV-700 or the BMV-702, you can now step out of the dark ages! Victron manufactures a Blue Tooth dongle that will plug and play with your archaic meters! LOL.

Blue Tooth Dongle

Jim
    There you go . . . spending my money again .
    (Except that my even more archaic BMV 600 is still going strong)

Rob
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 04-14-2019 at 08:14 PM.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great write-up. My 712 is sitting in a box in the shop waiting for the major electrical overhaul that is nearly planned out.
    2019 F350 6.7L PS SRW CCSB Platinum
    2021 28BH with theater seating and 2nd AC
    2019 Imagine 2400BH w/solar (sold)
    https://rolling.howardweb.info/

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Paul - Time to upgrade to the new Blue Tooth version.

Jim
    Man, I guess! I posted my support of the unit before you posted the second post and I realized it was the blue tooth version. I wish I had that but I also wonder if I could figure it out. Between you and Rob I feel so inadequate

EDIT: so I just saw the post about the blue tooth dongle! Okay, so will adding that result in the same info as your 712 provide? Dang, it's now in my cart
    Last edited by Paul & Deb; 04-15-2019 at 10:31 AM.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    Man, I guess! I posted my support of the unit before you posted the second post and I realized it was the blue tooth version. I wish I had that but I also wonder if I could figure it out. Between you and Rob I feel so inadequate

EDIT: so I just saw the post about the blue tooth dongle! Okay, so will adding that result in the same info as your 712 provide? Dang, it's now in my cart
    Paul - If Deb questions your new purchase, please don't blame me! LOL.

Yes, the blue tooth dongle will give you pretty much the same functionality as the 712 has. In fact, it will probably have a longer range due to the exterior antenna.

Jim

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My BMV-712 Install (Notes)

As I mentioned on my Electrical Mod thread, I am documenting my notes regarding the BMV-712 here.

1) Thanks to Jim's note about the firmware updating I was not surprised when the device requested to update from v4 to v4.01. It did take about 3 minutes.

2) The Bluetooth connect password is in the Victron Connect manual. The suggestions the Victron Connect app provides for the password (0000 or 1234) are not correct. The default pairing password is 000000.

3) Don't miss that the Bluetooth Smart PIN code should be changed from the default using the Product Info page. (Directions are in paragraph 2.2 in the manual linked above.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0909 (Large).JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	19377

4) There is potentially conflicting information regarding configuring Battle Born batteries with the BMV-712. Make sure you know the right settings for YOUR batteries.

-- Battle Born (BB) has a video showing how to configure the BMV-700 (with a bluetooth dongle) using the display and the Victron Connect app. In the video they say to set the battery capacity to 99aH (for one battery). This is no longer true as evidenced by the comment section where a BB employee says to set the capacity to 100aH. For two batteries, 200aH; three batteries, 300aH; etc.

-- AMSolar has a programming guide for lithium batteries that at first glance *looks* correct, but upon close inspection it is for Victron lithium batteries. The settings are not correct for BB batteries. The AMSolar's DIY website is referenced from their video on how to program the BMV-712 using the Victron Connect app.

5) There are the settings I used for my BB batteries (if you see something wrong let me know!):
    xxxxxBattery Capacity — 100AH x # of batteries
    xxxxxCharged Voltage — 14.4v
    xxxxxTail Current — 4.0%
    xxxxxCharged Detection — 03
    xxxxxPuekert Exponent — 1.05
    xxxxxCharge Efficiency Factor — 99%
    xxxxxCurrent Threshold — 0.10A
    xxxxxTime to Go Averaging Period — 03
    xxxxxZero Current Calibration — ZERO
    xxxxxSynchronize — SYNC
    xxxxxRelay Mode – DFLT

Edit: Another resource on programming from Victron.

Edit 2 : The settings programmed into the monitor didn't "take" from the Victron Connect app until I power-cycled the BMV. This was noted in AMSolar's setup guide. Having the two shutoff switches made it simple--I just turned off shutoff 1 (acts like a master kill switch) and then back on. Voila--the BMV showed the correct settings.

Edit 3: A shout out to @Rob for first pointing me to Victron components. I almost wish I'd gotten the BMV back when I had just the one lead-acid battery (as he suggested) so I could compare notes with my new setup.
    Last edited by howson; 04-17-2019 at 08:12 AM.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also like the Victron Solar controllers and how they network together. I have Battle Born Lithium batteries and the solar controller has settings for lithium charging. Cool technology

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @howson - excellent info - thanks. @jvenard - I'll start upgrading my solar charging soon. I'm going to use the Victron controller too.

Jim

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast