User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't want any burning propane where anyone is sleeping. A LP stove inside such a small space might be overkill.

What I wish that RV companies would do is hang an efficient mini-split compressor high on the rear of travel trailers/fifth wheel trailers and have one or two evaporators inside the trailer. The roof mounted a/c units could be taken off so the trailers don't hit 12 1/2 feet height. And they'd be much more efficient than the a/c units currently in use in RV's.

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    I don't want any burning propane where anyone is sleeping. A LP stove inside such a small space might be overkill.

What I wish that RV companies would do is hang an efficient mini-split compressor high on the rear of travel trailers/fifth wheel trailers and have one or two evaporators inside the trailer. The roof mounted a/c units could be taken off so the trailers don't hit 12 1/2 feet height. And they'd be much more efficient than the a/c units currently in use in RV's.
    You don't have your RV information listed in your signature. You mentioned 12 1/2' height.....didn't you mean 13 1/2'? We have a Momentum and it's 13'6".
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Has anyone considered replacing their electric fireplace with a propane fueled one?

It seems to me that a residential, wall mounted, externally vented, propane fireplace would work . . . if they come small enough.
    This could provide a reliable back-up plan to the existing furnace or a significant source of additional heat if needed.

One more thing to add to the "what if?" wish list .

Rob
    Rob - When I was a young man, my dad had a truck camper with a propane catalyst heater in it. Man that thing would crank out the heat. The nice thing about it was that you didn't deplete the batteries in the truck by running a furnace fan.

Mr. Heater units are designed to be indoor safe. I wonder it it would work in our application?

Mr. Heater

Jim

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCZhome View Post
    You don't have your RV information listed in your signature. You mentioned 12 1/2' height.....didn't you mean 13 1/2'? We have a Momentum and it's 13'6".
    I've got a Reflection 323BHS. Wow, 13.5 feet! I've seen heavy trucks about that high running in the frontage roads to avoid bouncing up and catching interstate bridges. I've never really taken time to measure my height since I don't ever take our fiver out of the extremely fine campground we're members of.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Rob - When I was a young man, my dad had a truck camper with a propane catalyst heater in it. Man that thing would crank out the heat. The nice thing about it was that you didn't deplete the batteries in the truck by running a furnace fan.

Mr. Heater units are designed to be indoor safe. I wonder it it would work in our application?

Mr. Heater

Jim
    Hi Jim,

The catalytic heaters are still using oxygen from and supplying CO to the living space. When you read the fine print they all require an open window and specifically say not to use when sleeping. I would only want to install something that draws combustion air from outside and vents combustion products to the outside (same as the furnace).

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    I've got a Reflection 323BHS. Wow, 13.5 feet! I've seen heavy trucks about that high running in the frontage roads to avoid bouncing up and catching interstate bridges. I've never really taken time to measure my height since I don't ever take our fiver out of the extremely fine campground we're members of.
    If you are wondering how close we are to the height of the average 18 wheeler . . . it is close!

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 54212D52-8450-4956-A52D-A26CE4B6A34E.jpeg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jeff . . . you are poking the guy who goes to Florida for 5 months every winter to avoid the cold .

Agreed that propane use would obviously increase, but electricity is not cheap either. The electric fireplace produces 5000 BTUs on high. (The furnace produces 35,000 for comparison). A propane fireplace producing maybe 15,000 BTU's could be a nice addition or back-up. Just a thought . . .

Part of this is that I really don't trust my Atwood furnace and the electric fireplace would not be enough on its own, even for our shoulder season trips to/from Canada/Florida.

Rob
    Are you seeing many RV parks that are charging for electricity? I have heard they are common in FL, but, fortunately, not something I've run into in the VA/NC/SC campgrounds that I typically frequent ... for now anyway.

I typically run the fireplace plus an electric space heater and the furnace rarely cuts on. It is also VERY rare that I am camping where we drop below 32 (that's 0 for those from countries with sense enough to use Celsius ) for more than a couple of hours.
    Last edited by Keebler; 04-16-2019 at 12:13 PM.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
    Are you seeing many RV parks that are charging for electricity? I have heard they are common in FL, but, fortunately, not something I've run into in the VA/NC/SC campgrounds that I typically frequent ... for now anyway.

I typically run the fireplace plus an electric space heater and the furnace rarely cuts on. It is also VERY rare that I am camping where we drop below 32 (that's 0 for those from countries with sense enough to use Celsius ) for more than a couple of hours.
    Most "extended stay" RV parks in Florida charge for electricity separately. The "short stay" ones don't, but they roll their estimate into the daily rate.

We also seldom camp below 0C, except on our trips to/from Florida/Canada. I like the idea of the "independence" of a propane fireplace. They are usually designed to produce quiet heat even in a power outage. Being dependent for heat on a power grid that can be taken out by a major storm is just not a good plan. Of course, there are solar and generator solutions to this.

This is just a "wonder why nobody includes a propane fireplace?" discussion .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most "extended stay" RV parks in Florida charge for electricity separately. The "short stay" ones don't, but they roll their estimate into the daily rate.

We also seldom camp below 0C, except on our trips to/from Florida/Canada. I like the idea of the "independence" of a propane fireplace. They are usually designed to produce quiet heat even in a power outage. Being dependent for heat on a power grid that can be taken out by a major storm is just not a good plan. Of course, there are solar and generator solutions to this.

This is just a "wonder why nobody includes a propane fireplace?" discussion .

Rob
    We're noticing that more and more parks are charging for electricity if staying a month or longer. We noticed that a few parks in Ariz. are charging for electricity even at the weekly rate. California is also starting to charge additional for elec. It seems it's the southern states and Calif......where all the snowbirders go.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't be interested in ventless. Same as I won't run portable propane heaters inside the trailer. I was thinking of an externally vented fireplace that should be as safe to run as the furnace. Producing more heat than the electric fireplace and much quieter than the furnace.

Rob
    Rob,

What your proposing is similar to the old gravity feed propane furnaces of old, except you will be able to see and enjoy the ambiance of the flames. Great idea.

Jim
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast