User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Propane Fireplace ?

Has anyone considered replacing their electric fireplace with a propane fueled one?

It seems to me that a residential, wall mounted, externally vented, propane fireplace would work . . . if they come small enough.
    This could provide a reliable back-up plan to the existing furnace or a significant source of additional heat if needed.

One more thing to add to the "what if?" wish list .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure how much heat it would provide because it would have to be vented to the outside.
    2019 Reflection 315RLTS
    2019 Ford F250 Lariat SuperCab PSD SRW

Former set up:
    2013 Kodiak 291RESL
    2017 Ford F150 Platinum

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And, like the stove top or the furnace.....would greatly contribute to the condensation problem in the really cold temps......aside from sucking down the propane even faster than the furnace does.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I needed extra heat I'd probably go the full Monty and just put in a small pellet stove. Extra fuel source is a down side but a bag would heat for a long time. I despise having to get propane.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate to say this but the reason your trailer has wheels is so that you don't have to be where you need extra heat...just sayin'.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JColeman View Post
    I hate to say this but the reason your trailer has wheels is so that you don't have to be where you need extra heat...just sayin'.
    Hi Jeff . . . you are poking the guy who goes to Florida for 5 months every winter to avoid the cold .

Agreed that propane use would obviously increase, but electricity is not cheap either. The electric fireplace produces 5000 BTUs on high. (The furnace produces 35,000 for comparison). A propane fireplace producing maybe 15,000 BTU's could be a nice addition or back-up. Just a thought . . .

Part of this is that I really don't trust my Atwood furnace and the electric fireplace would not be enough on its own, even for our shoulder season trips to/from Canada/Florida.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BC315RLTS View Post
    I'm not sure how much heat it would provide because it would have to be vented to the outside.
    The propane furnace is vented outside and produces 35,000 BTUs.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They do make ventless natural gas and propane models that either hangs on a wall or set on feet. This maybe something that could be used , I have one that hangs in my garage. It does require oxygen , and so do I , so there would need to be a window cracked open or such.

Brian

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    The propane furnace is vented outside and produces 35,000 BTUs.

Rob
    We have a vented gas fireplace in our bedroom (house) and it will cook us out quickly so it never gets used. Do not see any reason a specially built smaller version would not work in an RV. It would burn richer and cooler than the furnace but would not need the combustion blower. The typical RV furnace is not so efficient either where a great deal of heat is exhausted.
    Last edited by MidwestCamper; 04-15-2019 at 06:15 PM.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    They do make ventless natural gas and propane models that either hangs on a wall or set on feet. This maybe something that could be used , I have one that hangs in my garage. It does require oxygen , and so do I , so there would need to be a window cracked open or such.

Brian
    I wouldn't be interested in ventless. Same as I won't run portable propane heaters inside the trailer. I was thinking of an externally vented fireplace that should be as safe to run as the furnace. Producing more heat than the electric fireplace and much quieter than the furnace.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast